Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2015 9:41:39 PM EDT
I just completed my 9mm AR pistol build and sent in the registration for it. I put myself as buyer and seller. The Sheriff's office sent the registration back to me with a note saying to fill in the following information.

Sellers FFL Nu'mber
Purchasers Michigan CPL Number
Purchasers FFL Number

I assumed I had to leave them blank as I did not have anything to put in them. Tomorrow I will call the office to get this straightened out but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. Is there something specific to put in those boxes when going from receiver to pistol?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are a CPL holder you can fill out the form yourself and need to put in your CPL number. If you are not, you hopefully picked up the purchase permit from the Sheriff first.

I would just tell them you bought it as a stripped lower from an unknown private seller in state. You wont need a FFL number. They probably didn't understand the stripped lower part. Some PDs understand it. Some don't and they need to call MSP Firearms. MSP has been good about straightening them out.

BTW- many government offices are closed tomorrow. Might wana call first and see if their clerks are in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are a CPL holder you can fill out the form yourself and need to put in your CPL number. If you are not, you hopefully picked up the purchase permit from the Sheriff first.

I would just tell them you bought it as a stripped lower from an unknown private seller in state. You wont need a FFL number. They probably didn't understand the stripped lower part. Some PDs understand it. Some don't and they need to call MSP Firearms. MSP has been good about straightening them out.

BTW- many government offices are closed tomorrow. Might wana call first and see if their clerks are in.
View Quote

If you don't have a CPL, you may need to obtain a purchase permit from the PD, and then send in the registration. Or, since you'd be at the PD anyways, just fill out the registration and drop it off after getting the purchase permit. I believe you'll get a NICS transaction number from the purchase permit and you can use that on the registration.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay that makes sense. I do not have a CPL. Kind of bizzare in all the time I spent googling receiver -> pistol for mi nobody ever mentioned needing a purchase permit.

The pistol is back to being a receiver and I will take care of it as soon as I can.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

MSP is fucking garbage at sorting anything out.

This was a few years ago, I had a C&R, they told the local PD that I had to mail the purchase permit to the importer out in AZ, have them fill it out, and mail it back with the gun. Like an importer will even fill it out, let alone get it back to you in ten days.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This was a few years ago, I had a C&R, they told the local PD that I had to mail the purchase permit to the importer out in AZ, have them fill it out, and mail it back with the gun. Like an importer will even fill it out, let alone get it back to you in ten days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. My expierence speaking with the Firearms Division has always been positive. I guess milage may vary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top