Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:08:55 PM EDT
Son will be leaving for Texas in a few days for work Co Op. I gave him a FN Hi Power [will be registered in Mi per law before he goes] as a gift so he can take a self defense weapon with him for his apartment. Is there any restrictions against a 20 year old with a clean record [of course] about owning there? Any goofy restrictions we should know of? I don't expect he'll have to register it there from what I can see but since he'll still have a Mi driver license would there be any issues? He'll be in longview Texas so it won't be a big city.

Any help would be appreciated as we don't want to run afoul of any laws I don't know in Texas.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:36 PM EDT
I can't think of any reason he will not be good to go. You might have him spend a little researching our local laws just to understand the differences.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:17:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tsonda4570:
I can't think of any reason he will not be good to go. You might have him spend a little researching our local laws just to understand the differences.

Trying to do that right now. He'll be bringing several boxes of self defense ammo with him so purchasing of ammo will be a moot point.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:38:13 PM EDT
under texas law he can have it in the Apt or going to and from the car and also in his car.
make sure he keeps it concealed at all times. as per our laws. he can also keep it loaded and ready.
in the car i would have him lay it on the seat with a towel over it to cover and conceal it for ready access.
there is no registry of guns in Texas. since he is under 21 some stores will give him flack about buying "pistol" ammo but since you are sending him with plenty this won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:41:24 PM EDT
How long will he be working here?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:44:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By txharleyrider:
How long will he be working here?

A bit over 3 months.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:16:36 PM EDT
sorry if i'm missing something, but why does he need defense that badly? also if it's in the apartment a shotgun would be a better idea, no issue with ammunition etc

keeblerelf
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:26:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hk940:
under texas law he can have it in the Apt or going to and from the car and also in his car.
make sure he keeps it concealed at all times. as per our laws. he can also keep it loaded and ready.
in the car i would have him lay it on the seat with a towel over it to cover and conceal it for ready access.

So if he has to hit the brakes or take evasive action it will go flying? Good grief man.
there is no registry of guns in Texas. since he is under 21 some stores will give him flack about buying "pistol" ammo but since you are sending him with plenty this won't be an issue.

Some stores? He cannot buy pistol ammo from a licensed dealer.

Perhaps you should stop giving advice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:27:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KeeblerElf:
sorry if i'm missing something, but why does he need defense that badly?

Is there some time limit before criminals would victimize you?

also if it's in the apartment a shotgun would be a better idea,
keeblerelf

How's that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:32:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KeeblerElf:
sorry if i'm missing something, but why does he need defense that badly? also if it's in the apartment a shotgun would be a better idea, no issue with ammunition etc

keeblerelf

Because bad shit happens to good people every day.

Criminals dont discriminate on who they target.

Do you have a CHL?
Top Top