Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
A house around the block is feeding them and there are hordes of them there, and they subsequently perch and shit everywhere.  If I were a kid I'd grab my pump air pellet rifle and there'd be nothing but a puff of feathers and a falling carcaus.  But isn't it illegal to shoot pigeions, or is it illegal to shoot bb or pellet guns in a neighborhood?  I'm in a subdivision in Henderson and the homes are close.

There are a few pigeon control companies recommended in a flyer (blackburn pest control, dead aim, quality pest control, and western exterminator company).  I guess I could call them and see what they would do, and I've seen those spikes that would work where you install them.  I just don't want anyone walking on my roof tiles and voiding the builders warranty.  I wonder about those owl statues and if they work.  From a google search I've seen these sonic strips that looks promising (and not cheap either).

How about you'all?  What works?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Poison works fine....of course you need them to flock to your house. The poison is also harmful to humans..

The owls work for a very short time....then they are pooping on that too.

Spikes do work....but they are ugly.

As for shooting them, check Henderson regs....

Killing them is the only way. They are rats with wings!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Poison can only be legally used by a licensed pest control company.
You will have to kill 50% to 60% of a given population to affect their behavior. I have used a variety of air rifles with success. Talk to a few of the neighbors you might find that the "rat with wings notion" is common and get some co-operation. BTW air rifles are legal in the county on your property. Each City in the valley has their own regs.
Patrick
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
img380.imageshack.us/img380/9784/img0611118pp.jpg

Quoted:

You will have to kill 50% to 60% of a given population to affect their behavior.

Patrick

I find after killing about 10-20 the others learn not to come around.

Excellent,,,,I Hate Flying Rats
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw a little chicken scratch in your yard and wait inside with a pellet gun. Make sure you have a backstop and your nieghbors aren't out in their backyards when you fire. Just wait for them to circle or for the first one to come down from their perch. That is the alpha. Pop it and leave it there for a bit. If any others land, keep popping the first one to set down. Eventually they get a clue.

I did this for a nieghbor who raised chickens. It took a while, but we cut the population from over 50 to less then 20 in a month. We only actually killed maybe 20.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Airguns are considered firearms in Clark County, and that includes Henderson. NRS also describes airguns as firearms.

Henderson Municipal Code:
8.98.061 Unlawful Discharge of Firearms Within City Limits, Exceptions.

1) Pursuant to NRS 202.287, the entire area within the jurisdictional limits of the City of Henderson, except as provided in Subsection 3 of this ordinance, is designated as a populated area for the purpose of prohibiting the discharge of weapons.

2) Except as otherwise provided in Subsection 3 of this ordinance, it is unlawful for any person to wilfully discharge or cause to be discharged any pistol, gun or any other kind of firearm within the jurisdictional limits of the City of Henderson.

3) This ordinance does not apply to:

(a) A peace officer while engaged in the performance of his official duties;

(b) One who discharges a weapon in lawful self-defense. A person who discharges a firearm while in his residence is presumed to have acted in lawful self-defense if he discharges the firearm towards one who he reasonably believes is committing a burglary or invasion of his residence.

(c) That land and premises commonly known as the Henderson Police Pistol Range, 2400 Moser Street, Henderson, Nevada, and more particularly described as a portion of the Southeast Quarter of Section 36, Township 21 South, Range 62 East M.D.M. more particularly described as lying within the West Half (W 1/2) of the Southeast Quarter (SE 1/4) of the Southeast Quarter (SE 1/4) of the Southwest Quarter (SW 1/4) of Section 36, Township 21S, Range 62E.

(d) That land and premises commonly known as the Pawn and Gun Shop, 1212 North Boulder Highway, Henderson, Nevada, and more particularly described as a portion of the North half (N 1/2) of the Northeast Quarter (NE 1/4) of Section 12, Township 22 South, Range 62 East, M.D.M., further described as follows:

Commencing at the Northeast corner of Section 12, Township 22 South, Range 62 East, thence South 0° 33’ West 238.67 feet; thence North 89° 51’ West, 1396.72 feet, to the true point of beginning; thence North 89° 51’ West, 383.52 feet; to the Easterly right-of-way of Boulder Highway; thence South 42° 27’ East, along the Boulder Highway right-of-way 264.91 feet; thence departing said right-of-way South 89° 51’ East, along the North right-of-way line of King Street, 204.21 feet; thence North 0° 09’ East, 195.00 feet to the true point of beginning.

Contains 1.32 acres or 57,306 square feet more or less.

(e) That land and premises commonly known as the National Guard Armory shooting range, 680 Mountain View Road, Henderson, Nevada, and more particularly described as being the West 400 feet of the North 800 feet of that certain property conveyed to the State of Nevada Military District by deed recorded 8/12/69 in Book 969 as Instrument 0778359 in Clark County records. (Ord. 1215, 1990)

NRS 202.253  Definitions.  As used in NRS 202.253 to 202.369, inclusive:

1.  “Explosive or incendiary device” means any explosive or incendiary material or substance that has been constructed, altered, packaged or arranged in such a manner that its ordinary use would cause destruction or injury to life or property.

2.  “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

3.  “Firearm capable of being concealed upon the person” applies to and includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

4.  “Motor vehicle” means every vehicle that is self-propelled.

(Added to NRS by 1977, 879; A 1979, 157; 1989, 1239; 1995, 1151, 2533, 2726; 1997, 662, 826; 2001, 805; 2003, 1350; 2005, 594)

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Joe, that is what I was looking for.

Airguns are considered firearms in Clark County, and that includes Henderson. NRS also describes airguns as firearms.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
NRS 202.253  Definitions.  As used in NRS 202.253 to 202.369, inclusive:

2.  “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(Added to NRS by 1977, 879; A 1979, 157; 1989, 1239; 1995, 1151, 2533, 2726; 1997, 662, 826; 2001, 805; 2003, 1350; 2005, 594)

I have to disagree with you there Joe.

If you parse the syntax of the statute, it implies that the explosion is a form of combustion, otherwise the statement would be "explosion or combustion".

Compressed air is not combustible in and of itself.

Further,  NRS 202.265 explicitly includes language that describes paint, pellet, and bb guns as firearms for the purposes of that statute:

4.  For the purposes of this section:

(a) “Firearm” includes:

(1) Any device used to mark the clothing of a person with paint or any other substance; and

(2) Any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.

If bb and air guns were included in the definition of NRS 202.253, that language would not be needed in NRS 202.265.

I seem to recall that around 1995 the definition of firearm was revised to specifically exclude paint, pellet and bb guns. That's also appears to be the same time that NRS 202.265 was changed to include them.

Interestingly enough, Clark county includes air guns as "Concealed Firearms", but does not consider them as "Firearms".

12.04.010 Definitions.
In this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the following definitions shall apply and be effective:
(1) Dealer means any person engaged in the business of buying or selling pistols at wholesale or retail, or of accepting pledges of pistols as security for loans.
(2) “Firearm capable of being concealed” means any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed twelve inches in length, from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by explosives, springs, gas or air as a means of propulsion.
(3) “Firearm” means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater, from which a projectile may be propelled by means of gunpowder.

(4) “Manager” means the natural person authorized by a dealer to approve and finalize all pistol sales, purchases or pledges and the person whose signature is required on all documents in connection therewith.
(5) “Pistol” means a firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed twelve inches, intended to be aimed and fired with one hand. (Ord. 1139 § 1, 1989: Ord. 242 § 1, 1965)

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
tThanks Jim,

I forgot about the definition in NRS 202.265. I knew a guy several years ago that was cited and he had his BB/Pellet rifle confiscated for plinking in his backyard. The cops told him that there was State Law and County Code that defined paintball guns, BB guns and pellet guns as firearms.

I guess they were talking about NRS 202.265.

I would still be careful shooting pigeons with a pellet gun in a residential area, because if a neighbor calls the police it could get pretty sticky.

Thanks again, Jim

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If the house around the corner likes to feed them you feed them too! Only in there yard. Get 10 lbs. of bird seed and fatten them up. About the 7th load get yourself some rat poison from Home Depot and mix it in with the seed. We do this at work (ninja style) alot and it does the job. There is also a corn you can get but people can see that and results are in the pigeons favor. Don't get caught, I'm sure there are codes and statues that are as bad as a BB gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I side with Jim on this one....

Especially for us Clark County folks......where we used to have to register paintball and BB guns (although it rarely happened).

I was unsure of Henderson regs. since I don't deal with them much.

Even if it is legal, I would recommend being sneaky about it. You never know what tree huggers may live around you and especially with the people that are feeding them!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Good info everyone.  10-4 on the treehuggers. ..
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Interestingly enough, Clark county includes air guns as "Concealed Firearms", but does not consider them as "Firearms".

(2) “Firearm capable of being concealed” means any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed twelve inches in length, from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by explosives, springs, gas or air as a means of propulsion.
(3) “Firearm” means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater, from which a projectile may be propelled by means of gunpowder.

Jim-

First off I know this would have to go to court and be hammered out and be expensive and could cost big time.

The way I read this:
A Ruger Mk III or 10/22 chambered in .17 RF is NOT A FIREARM.  As the Caliber is 0.007 smaller than legally defined.

I would not need to get a blue card for such a weapon, I would not need a CWP for this weapon either.  

Has this been tried?

Heck you could terminate pigeons with one and you would NOT BE using a defined firearm.  Have your attorney present when the cops show though.

The joys of technical readings of the law
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Clark County's change in definition for a concealable firearm is dealing with the registration side. That was the main motivation for the change.

CCW is regulated by the state.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not skirt the whole "Is This A Firearm" issue and just one of these.

(image, skanky blonde with laser-sighted slingshot)

The web page insists that this particular laser-sighted wrist rocket has the kind of accuracy needed 'to split pencils' and can hit a Coke can at 150 feets! Wowzas!

Warning! Sales pitch includes irritating .wav file of the Charlie Brown theme! Hit your mute button before proceeding!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV however NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school; penalty; exceptions. 1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess, while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education or a private or public school or while in a vehicle of a private or public school:

refers to a whole host of devises some of which are only considered "dangerous weapons” only on school grounds... because use of such weapons could provoke a deadly response

Under this statute  that wrist rocket is a deadly weapon .. considering that surgical tubing can (and probably has been considered a spring force)

Several years ago Metro went along with NRS 202.253 Definitions
section 2.  “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion (the key here being explosion or combustion neither of which an air rifle has). This put an end to a lot of frivols complaints about kids with bb guns "discharging firearms"

I have had Metro officers examine my air rifles and return them to me.

I have removed hundreds of pigeons and had a few encounters with Metro and can offer the following advise and since its free that about all its worth legally.

1. The use of a deadly weapon (non-firearm) on your own property is not prohibited
2. Do not shoot where there is a possibility of a projectile leaving your property.
3. Do not shoot over a boundary unless you have the co-operation and consent of the property owner (not just the tenant)
4. Don’t leave Dead Pigeons lying around
5. If you miss or get a through and through that pellet is going somewhere
6. If you mis-use a deadly weapon of any kind and endanger the public you can be charged with a crime
7. There is a large variety of airguns..You don’t need the “bigger and most powerful is best” to remove a few flying rats and a moderately powered rifle is capable and less likely to attract attention

Patrick

AKA Pigeonator
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Alka-Seltzer + Pigeon = Popped Flying Rat.

I've always wondered if this were true or an urban legen.

I think you should find out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top