Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 5:20:28 PM EDT
How did the hunt go?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:34:22 AM EDT
no.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:33:13 PM EDT
Wow, that was blunt. Musta not got anything, no turkeys for your bud, got rained on, got stuck in the mud, and had to walk 14 miles to the nearest farmhouse to get shot at.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=395716

Let's hear the story. I want to go pig hunting. Closest I'll ever get to a dangerous game safari...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Wow, that was blunt. Musta not got anything, no turkeys for your bud, got rained on, got stuck in the mud, and had to walk 14 miles to the nearest farmhouse to get shot at.

Friday turned into a clusterfuck and it kept going through saturday, I never got out of fucking town.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:36:24 AM EDT
Where did you intend to hunt?

A buddy and I went out to the public hunting grounds near Gays Mills twice last fall with no success. It's a long drive from Madison, so we even spent a night and tried to do some night vision augmented hunting.

There are hog trails and scat everwhere, but we saw no pigs either time. At about 3am we thought we heard some pig grunts. It turned out to be about a dozen fat deer 50 yards away that we could have easily poached.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:50:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Muad_Dib:
Where did you intend to hunt?

A buddy and I went out to the public hunting grounds near Gays Mills twice last fall with no success. It's a long drive from Madison, so we even spent a night and tried to do some night vision augmented hunting.

There are hog trails and scat everwhere, but we saw no pigs either time. At about 3am we thought we heard some pig grunts. It turned out to be about a dozen fat deer 50 yards away that we could have easily poached.

-Anthony

I was going to the same area. DNR says within a 3mile area of the interesection of S and 131. Where abouts were you at aout there?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT by Muad_Dib]

Originally Posted By photoman:

I was going to the same area. DNR says within a 3mile area of the interesection of S and 131. Where abouts were you at aout there?

If memory serves me correctly, we hunted the Kickapoo River Wildlife Area (Bell Center Unit) just South of Gays Mills.

We tracked fresh pig tracks through the snow and mud to just about every border of the park but never bothered to ask permission to hunt the private lands that surround the park. There are areas of HEAVY use and obvious wallows.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT

If memory serves me correctly, we hunted the Kickapoo River Wildlife Area (Bell Center Unit) just South of Gays Mills.

We tracked fresh pig tracks through the snow and mud to just about every border of the park but never bothered to ask permission to hunt the private lands that surround the park. There are areas of HEAVY use and obvious wallows.

Interesting. I'm going to try and bust out there my next weekend off. The big bitch is that un like deer if you spook hogs out of an area, they usually won't come back. The other bitch is that they like to hide under heavy vegitation so you could pretty much walk right by them if you don't check stuff out. Good to know there is plenty of sign of them around. What part of the Kikapoo were you in? There are two sections of it one that runs along 131 and one that runs west along S, but it looks like there is private lands mixed in with the stuff along S. The DNR managed lands maps shows the boundries pretty good. I have to get an overlay of it for my topos.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:54:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:55:28 AM EDT by Muad_Dib]

Interesting. I'm going to try and bust out there my next weekend off. The big bitch is that un like deer if you spook hogs out of an area, they usually won't come back. The other bitch is that they like to hide under heavy vegitation so you could pretty much walk right by them if you don't check stuff out.

They also have as good or a better sense of smell than deer, so you have to pay attention to the wind and your own scent.

Good to know there is plenty of sign of them around. What part of the Kikapoo were you in? There are two sections of it one that runs along 131 and one that runs west along S, but it looks like there is private lands mixed in with the stuff along S. The DNR managed lands maps shows the boundries pretty good. I have to get an overlay of it for my topos.

I honestly don't remember. I'd have to look at my topo maps and notes. I think we were hunting South of S. There is private land along S that you need to watch for. Also there are fences bordering private land and fences within the DNR land that you'll have to climb over or under in places.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:07:28 AM EDT

Interesting. I'm going to try and bust out there my next weekend off. The big bitch is that un like deer if you spook hogs out of an area, they usually won't come back. The other bitch is that they like to hide under heavy vegitation so you could pretty much walk right by them if you don't check stuff out.

They also have as good or a better sense of smell than deer, so you have to pay attention to the wind and your own scent.

Good to know there is plenty of sign of them around. What part of the Kikapoo were you in? There are two sections of it one that runs along 131 and one that runs west along S, but it looks like there is private lands mixed in with the stuff along S. The DNR managed lands maps shows the boundries pretty good. I have to get an overlay of it for my topos.

I honestly don't remember. I'd have to look at my topo maps and notes. I think we were hunting South of S. There is private land along S that you need to watch for. Also there are fences bordering private land and fences within the DNR land that you'll have to climb over or under in places.

The managed lands map doesn't do that good of a job showing whats the wildlife area and whatrs essment lands and whats leased lands, so basicly it shows it as one big PUBLIC hunting ground, when it's not. I really wish I coudl get a beter idea of what is private/easment or leased land and whats actually state owned. The only map of the actual pblic areas is 4 years old and as far as I know not up to date. But it also doesn't show private lands in the area, or the easment lands or the leased lands. Should make things interesting for sure trying to figure out whats private and whats not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 12:24:50 PM EDT by Muad_Dib]

The managed lands map doesn't do that good of a job showing whats the wildlife area and whatrs essment lands and whats leased lands, so basicly it shows it as one big PUBLIC hunting ground, when it's not. I really wish I coudl get a beter idea of what is private/easment or leased land and whats actually state owned. The only map of the actual pblic areas is 4 years old and as far as I know not up to date. But it also doesn't show private lands in the area, or the easment lands or the leased lands. Should make things interesting for sure trying to figure out whats private and whats not.

A lot of the private land is pretty obvious. An elk ranch is directly across the road from where we parked. There are a few horse stables in one area and a small farm across the river. We didn't cross any fences that were marked as private or were obviously being maintained. There are a few areas that are well marked as private land.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:00:25 AM EDT

A lot of the private land is pretty obvious. An elk ranch is directly across the road from where we parked. There are a few horse stables in one area and a small farm across the river. We didn't cross any fences that were marked as private or were obviously being maintained. There are a few areas that are well marked as private land.

Thats good to know. One of the places I hunt borders on private property and the property line is marked really shitty and the fence is all ratty. I ended up having a run in with a pissed off landowner. But I was nice and polite and as I stepped back onto the state property I mentioned he might want to fix the fence and better mark his property to avoid the problem in the future as he was bitching to me that I was the 6th person he had kicked out that day. I can't figure out for the life of me how people can bitch like he was, but then not take action to fix the main cause of the problem. Oh well. Thanks for all the info.
Top Top