Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 9:43:26 AM EDT
Some friends were telling me that there is (or was) a CCW Instructor in the metro encouraging open carry and a CCW badge! (After a valid permit was issued by a Sheriff, of course.)

This badge looks very much like the gold shield carried by most, if not all, cops. Apparently, it says something like 'Concealed Weapons Permit' or something to that effect.

Does anyone here know anything about this? What instructor/company this might have been?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Impersonating a LEO is a felony in most, if not all states.

I'd stay away from that "good" advice, and not go with the badge.

So if you're going to flash your badge, and dont' mind jail time, and losing your right to own a gun for life, then by all means, go for it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cripes, I'm not that stupid.

From what I gathered, the intent of the badge wasn't to impersonate a LEO, specifically, but to discourage others from harassing you for carrying. Maybe the badge is supposed to look 'official', like if you wear in on your belt.

I dunno.  I think it's the worst idea I've ever heard.

I'd like to know who it is just so I can call them.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So if you're going to flash your badge, and dont' mind jail time, and losing your right to own a gun for life, then by all means, go for it.

MisterSuzuki,  you're absolutly right about the impersonation issue, but having a badge does not constitute impersonating a LEO.  I'm a fireman, and I wear badge, and lots of security guards wear them too.  You can also have one from the civilian air corps, amimal control (aka dog catcher) or any other "service arena".  I wouldn't want to wear a badge myself, but if I did I wouldn't be Impersonating a LEO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MisterSuzuki,  you're absolutly right about the impersonation issue, but having a badge does not constitute impersonating a LEO.  I'm a fireman, and I wear badge, and lots of security guards wear them too.  You can also have one from the civilian air corps, amimal control (aka dog catcher) or any other "service arena".  I wouldn't want to wear a badge myself, but if I did I wouldn't be Impersonating a LEO.

Good post txgp17.

I think the best idea, however is to keep your weapon concealed to avoid the issue altogether.  If I were to "imprint"or somehow accidentally show my firearm, I'd quietly tell the person that "I am licensed to carry and do so as part of my profession"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd quietly tell the person that "I am licensed to carry and do so as part of my profession"

Shit, you're a schoolbus driver....what part of that "profession" requires you to carry?  Now if you were a grave digger, there'd be the zombies to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Shit, you're a schoolbus driver....what part of that "profession" requires you to carry? Now if you were a grave digger, there'd be the zombies to worry about.

Thanks. That just made diet coke come out of my nose.

My buddy forwarded me this link; this is what he was talking about.

I'm comforted somewhat believing this was just some lone jackass, and not a trainers policy.

Impersonating, or just implying, it's still an incredibly bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
why wear a badge? isn't the purpose of a concealed carry permit just that, being concealed?  if you have this nice shiny badge hanging from your belt, it just says "hey, look at me."  i wear a badge (among other things) as part of my profession, but it isn't hanging on my belt, if i need to show it, i pull it out from my neck chain (concealed).  besides, tin doesn't mean squat if there isn't paper to back it up.
iirc, the guy that used to run armored fire used to wear one around his shop.  why advertise that you have a weapon?
as far as impersonating an officer, in minnesota it's a misdemeanor (609.475).  just wearing a concealed weapon permit badge doesn't constitute impersonation in my opinion, but if you say you are a cop while showing the tin, then it is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no clue who would suggest this.

If I did, I would do my best to see that no one ever took a course from them again.

If you gotta brag about it, you prolly shouldn't have it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have no clue who would suggest this.

If I did, I would do my best to see that no one ever took a course from them again.

If you gotta brag about it, you prolly shouldn't have it.

Amen to that
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd quietly tell the person that "I am licensed to carry and do so as part of my profession"

Shit, you're a schoolbus driver....what part of that "profession" requires you to carry?  Now if you were a grave digger, there'd be the zombies to worry about.

Have you ever seen how crabby those 5th graders can get?

A good bump-fire will cure that...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think it's the worst idea I've ever heard.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top