Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 5:35:45 PM EDT
Can I legally shoot a pellet gun in my backyard with a pellet trap? I have 6ft block walls like almost everyone elsewithin city limits. I am in Peoria.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a definition of "firearm" in city code, but it maybe unlawful.

It is in Scottsdale unlawful to discharge an air rifle within city limits....

Here
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That's because their search function sucks balls.

13-76

Public spitting is illegal.

13-82

Allowed with adult supervision.

13-41(a)(2)
13-41(c)(3)c. (You can shoot real guns in your basement if you're quiet.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Whether it's legal or not, all it takes is one neighbor poking their head over the wall to cause a problem for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whether it's legal or not, all it takes is one neighbor poking their head over the wall to cause a problem for you.
View Quote

Hmm, wouldnt shoot a pellet gun at my house, must have been my airsoft toy they saw officer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I was on a ride along in Phoenix some months ago. We got a call of a man yielding a rifle. We got there and it was just some guys shooting BB guns at pigeons. The police I was with could have cared less and told them to shoot as many pigeons as possible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The other option is to take a can of orange/yellow spraypaint and hit the pellet gun with it. Unless it is serving some sort of pest control purpose, I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was on a ride along in Phoenix some months ago. We got a call of a man yielding a rifle. We got there and it was just some guys shooting BB guns at pigeons. The police I was with could have cared less and told them to shoot as many pigeons as possible.
View Quote

Competely legal in Phoenix city limits with a hunting license.  Only Game and Fish would care, though, about the license. There is no bag limit on pigeons.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is legal and there's nothing the police can do about unless a pellet leaves the yard and causes a problem.  Same with barking dogs for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, you can shoot a pellet gun in your backyard. I shoot pigeons in my backyard in downtown phx with mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, you can shoot a pellet gun in your backyard. I shoot pigeons in my backyard in downtown phx with mine.
View Quote

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I love taking out pigeons in my backyard. Don't know if its legal...don't really care.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

Peoria is less restrictive than Phoenix city code.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
That is good enough for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

I would agree. Just because you can do it Phoenix does not apply to the whole valley.  Surprise has made it illegal.

Sec. 34-73. Restrictions on discharge, concealment and handling.
It is unlawful for any person within the limits of the city to fire or discharge:
    (a) Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, pellet gun, dart gun, slingshot, gas-operated gun, cross bow, blow gun, or other similar gun or instrument; or
     (b) Any arrow from a bow unless:
                 (1) The discharge occurs on private property, with the consent of the owner, from a location no less than 125 feet from any property line, by an individual or under the supervision of an individualwho is 18 years of age or older; or
               (2) The discharge is done by a government agent in furtherance of his or her official duties; or
               (3) The discharge is done pursuant to Title 13, Chapter 4, Arizona Revised Statute[s]; or
               (4) The discharge occurs on non-residential property as part of a properly supervised range. Properly supervised range means any non-residential location operated by or immediately supervised by a governmental agency, public or private school, or an adult who is a member of
a company, group, or affiliated with a recognized archery shooting organization.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would agree. Just because you can do it Phoenix does not apply to the whole valley.  Surprise has made it illegal.

It is unlawful for any person within the limits of the city to fire or discharge:
    (a) Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, pellet gun, dart gun, slingshot, gas-operated gun, cross bow, blow gun, or other similar gun or instrument; or
                 (1) The discharge occurs on private property, with the consent of the owner, from a location no less than 125 feet from any property line, by an individual or under the supervision of an individualwho is 18 years of age or older; or
               (2) The discharge is done by a government agent in furtherance of his or her official duties; or
               (3) The discharge is done pursuant to Title 13, Chapter 4, Arizona Revised Statute[s]; or
               (4) The discharge occurs on non-residential property as part of a properly supervised range. Properly supervised range means any non-residential location operated by or immediately supervised by a governmental agency, public or private school, or an adult who is a member of
a company, group, or affiliated with a recognized archery shooting organization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phoenix =/= Peoria

Just sayin'

I stand corrected I guess. I've shot pigeons and doves in Surprise with pellet guns in the backyard of my buddies place. He will find this info interesting. Probably not going to stop us from shooting birds but who knows.

But for Peoria, I have no idea then. I would probably just ask a LEO or look online.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I stand corrected I guess. I've shot pigeons and doves in Surprise with pellet guns in the backyard of my buddies place. He will find this info interesting. Probably not going to stop us from shooting birds but who knows.

But for Peoria, I have no idea then. I would probably just ask a LEO or look online.
View Quote

Here are the penalties for getting caught in Surprise

(d) Enforcement; penalties.
(1) Violation of this section may be either a criminal violation or civil violation in accordance with
Surprise Municipal Code Chapter 2, Article VI, Ordinance Violations and Citations Practice and
Procedure.
(2) Civil violations may be issued by the fire chief or designee, and any Surprise police officer, code
enforcement officer, or park ranger.
(3) Criminal violations may be issued by any Surprise police officer.
(4) Any person authorized pursuant to this section to issue a civil citation may also issue a notice of
violation specifying actions to be taken and the time in which they are to be taken to avoid
issuance of a civil or criminal violation.
(5) Criminal violation of this section shall be a class 1 misdemeanor.

Here is the code for City of Phoenix

23-42 Discharging firearms, BB guns and slung shots prohibited; exceptions.

It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to negligently or purposely discharge any firearm, BB gun or slung shot within the City, except:

(a)    In necessary self defense.

(b)    A law enforcement officer in necessary performance of his duty.

(c)    For the purpose of target shooting or practice on a range operated by qualified personnel. Qualified personnel shall consist of either a certified firearms safety instructor, rifle or pistol marksmanship instructor certified by the National Rifle Association, or person designated by a rifle or pistol club, public or private school or military agency.

(d)    For the purpose of target shooting on private premises with air, spring or CO2 operated BB, pellet guns or slingshots, providing:

(1)    The target area is enclosed in such manner and with materials that will stop the projectiles.

(2)    Such target shooting is supervised by an adult at all times.

(3)    Any safety precautions recommended by the Chief of Police are complied with.

(e)    In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission and approved by the Chief of Police. Such area must be posted as required by the Chief of Police and may be closed at any time by the Chief of Police or the Director of the Game Department.

(f)    Where a permit is issued by the Chief of Police.

(g)    In defense of property from damage by animals or birds, providing property owner obtains permit from Arizona Game Department or United States Fish and Wildlife Service, and the taking of such animals or birds is properly supervised by the Game Department or the Fish and Wildlife Service or a person designated by either of those agencies to assure the safety of surrounding property owners.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is legal and there's nothing the police can do about unless a pellet leaves the yard and causes a problem.  Same with barking dogs for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine. My thinking is you still don't want to give the neighbors a reason to call the cops on you because they get scared.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's fine. My thinking is you still don't want to give the neighbors a reason to call the cops on you because they get scared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same argument could be made for open carry.  I doubt many are scared of bb guns and pellet rifles.  Personally, I'd hate listening to that constant wack of a pellet hitting something, especially metal.  That's why a silent or quiet pellet trap would be neighborly.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

(1) Violation of this section may be either a criminal violation or civil violation in accordance with
Surprise Municipal Code Chapter 2, Article VI, Ordinance Violations and Citations Practice and
Procedure.
(2) Civil violations may be issued by the fire chief or designee, and any Surprise police officer, code
(4) Any person authorized pursuant to this section to issue a civil citation may also issue a notice of
violation specifying actions to be taken and the time in which they are to be taken to avoid

It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to negligently or purposely discharge any firearm, BB gun or slung shot within the City, except:

(c)    For the purpose of target shooting or practice on a range operated by qualified personnel. Qualified personnel shall consist of either a certified firearms safety instructor, rifle or pistol marksmanship instructor certified by the National Rifle Association, or person designated by a rifle or pistol club, public or private school or military agency.

(d)    For the purpose of target shooting on private premises with air, spring or CO2 operated BB, pellet guns or slingshots, providing:

(1)    The target area is enclosed in such manner and with materials that will stop the projectiles.

(3)    Any safety precautions recommended by the Chief of Police are complied with.

(e)    In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission and approved by the Chief of Police. Such area must be posted as required by the Chief of Police and may be closed at any time by the Chief of Police or the Director of the Game Department.

(g)    In defense of property from damage by animals or birds, providing property owner obtains permit from Arizona Game Department or United States Fish and Wildlife Service, and the taking of such animals or birds is properly supervised by the Game Department or the Fish and Wildlife Service or a person designated by either of those agencies to assure the safety of surrounding property owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Procedure.

So yeah, you can shoot a BB or pellet gun in phx. No biggie. Surprise, eh I'd have to ask the game warden and maybe a cop and see what they think of those laws. They seem to ignore some of the more ridiculous laws I've noticed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So yeah, you can shoot a BB or pellet gun in phx. No biggie. Surprise, eh I'd have to ask the game warden and maybe a cop and see what they think of those laws. They seem to ignore some of the more ridiculous laws I've noticed.
View Quote

I shoot mine in Surprise all the time.  Never had an issue.  I am on an acre lot with a empty lot behind me so I have not had any issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
'Though I have an acre in Surprise, there is nowhere on the property where it is 125' from a side property line.  That being said, a couple of neighbors have used pellet rifles for pigeon control.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]
It was my understanding and been told by two  Phoenix PD officers that discharging one is legal.
But there is a no hunting ordinance. So target shooting in the back yard is fine.
I have been known to be wrong though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I need to meet these other Surprise peeps......

BTW, only as an example, it is illegal in Goodyear.
As a new PD dispatcher, I had to advise a caller against shooting the pigeons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top