Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:26:52 PM EDT
Looking for larger sized pelican cases appropriate to put tools in for air travel.

At a guess, 1630, 1650, or 1670.

Does anyone know of a retailer on the North sides of Houston / Conroe / Jersey Village that sells them?

Or how about anywhere in Dallas or Fort Worth?

OKC ?

I'll be driving to OKC, then Denver and flying back.  Last minute trip so no time to order a case off the net.

Also - if any of you have suggestions on other type cases or sizes please jump in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never found anyone that beats what I could find on Amazon.

Pelicans are great but they're heavy as f&ck. I don't use them for normal tools.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a hard side golf club case if you can find one.  The size and weight limits are much higher for "golf clubs" without extra fees.

My scuba gear rides in style in a SKB golf case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pelicans are great but they're heavy as f&ck. I don't use them for normal tools.
View Quote

I know.  I would order from Amazon if I didn't have to be gone by tomorrow evening.  Hence my thought of picking something up in DFW or OKC.

How do you travel with your tools?

I'm not talking about a ton. Electrical diagnostic gear and various hand tools.  Stuff I can't carry on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know.  I would order from Amazon if I didn't have to be gone by tomorrow evening.  Hence my thought of picking something up in DFW or OKC.

I'm not talking about a ton. Electrical diagnostic gear and various hand tools.  Stuff I can't carry on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a canvas bag from a cordless drill and put it in a cheap hard-side roller bag. I toss my boots and hardhat in there too.  I'm 99% hand tools, 1% fluke meter.  Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Fry's or Altex are the only two places that come to mind, but I don't know that they carry any that big. I need to invest in a good hardside suitcase soon myself. Some of my tradeshow stuff, even if I hand carry it to the event, I fedex or UPS it back home instead of dicking around with the airlines.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Frys in Houston, Arlington, Dallas has some
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Competitive Camera in Dallas carries Pelican.  Can't promise they have any of the cases you quoted, but they've got some big Pelican cases.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Any good big retail camera shop should have some 1600s in stock. Most camera gear is transported in those. You could last ditch effort try Craigslist, but I was just down in Houston and saw nothing worth while.

Those big cases will start pushing you close to the weight limit before you even add tools. Food for thought, because we all like the big cases until you're standing with 85 pound hard case in line.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
H&H Gun Sales in OKC sells them.   Not cheap though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top