Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 6:36:01 AM EDT
I'm not one to read books very often unless I find one that truly just captures my attention. But Patriots-A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles was recommended to me by a close friend. So I picked up a copy and was sucked in. I literally could not put the book down. It was a400 page eye opening excellent read. It is a book of surviving a socio economic collapse much like what we are close to experiencing right now. Very detailed writing with tons of good reference material.

James Wesley Rawles is also the owner of the survivalblog.com website. If any of you guys want to see how it may be necessary to prepare for survival during a TEOTWAKI situation.....I highly recommend this read.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this a story of hypothetical fiction similar to One Second After? (Which it sounds like you would like very much if you have not read it already)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this a story of hypothetical fiction similar to One Second After? (Which it sounds like you would like very much if you have not read it already)

Yes.....and thanks for the reference to another good read.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
No sweat! I may go pick up Patriots this weekend, I need something new to read! Let me know what you think of One Second After if you end up getting it! :) it was written by William Forsten

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like something I would like to read.  The wikipedia entry for the Survivalist series has James Wesley Rawles listed as a "see Also" along with William W. Johnstone, whose Ashes series I loved.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't read Patriots or One Second After, but have read a similar novel called, 'Lights Out' by halfast on this board.  I am NOT a book reader and have never been.  I kept hearing people mentioning lights out and read a few exerts that really peaked my interest.  Once I saw it was 600 pgs, I said hell no, I can't read that.  Well, a few months later I couldn't resist.  Read chapter one, and couldn't put it down!  I think it's now offered as an audiobook for those interested.

Here's a link to a big thread about it....  LIghts out info

There are lots of other SHTF reads and opinions on these books here...
Survival guides and fiction

Some in that forum don't speak favorably of Patriots saying the tactics are extreme and will get you killed.  Other say 'One second After' leaves alot to be desired w/ details of events and inaccuracies of an EMP strike.  Like I said though, I haven't read either, yet.  I will probably read both and formulate my own opinion.  

scroll about half way down

These books all have one simple fact in common though...  in that they show you HOW BAD IT COULD ACTUALLY GET IF THE SHTF.  And they aren't talking about shtf for a week or two...  it's shtf for mos/ yrs (at least in lights out).  Really opened my eyes about prepping.  

Anyone seen the show Jericho?  I watched all the Jericho episodes while I was reading lights out.  They're entertaining and will certainly get you thinking!

Damn it...  now I guess I better go buy Patriots and One Second After.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for one second after. I'll pick up patriots this weekend. I'm going camping in VA next week and I'll need a book to bring.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a short story by halfast worth reading.  Same guy who wrote LO.
The Bug Out
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.....and thanks for the reference to another good read.

"One Second After" is sittin' here on my desk.

I just got back from Borders and got "One Second After" and "The Road"

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I would pick up a copy...but I have 13 books in a stack that I need to read first.....none of them are for school, only one of them is for the Army.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Road is being made into a movie, should be out in the next 6 months, has Viggo in it. Solid actor IMO.

The book was pretty good but very dark. I have it if you want it next time I run into you at a shoot.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The Road is excellent.  Don't expect it to be like the others.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Road is excellent.  Don't expect it to be like the others.

Just got my wife to pick up a copy while she was in town.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not one to read books very often unless I find one that truly just captures my attention. But Patriots-A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles was recommended to me by a close friend. So I picked up a copy and was sucked in. I literally could not put the book down. It was a400 page eye opening excellent read. It is a book of surviving a socio economic collapse much like what we are close to experiencing right now. Very detailed writing with tons of good reference material.

James Wesley Rawles is also the owner of the survivalblog.com website. If any of you guys want to see how it may be necessary to prepare for survival during a TEOTWAKI situation.....I highly recommend this read.

Thanks, lots of good info in the website,

and one really good saying I will steal.

"The Sierra Club's unofficial motto is: 'Take only pictures; leave only footprints.' But my motto is: Take only safe shots; leave only large gut piles." - James Wesley, Rawles
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Why is LaRue in the title?  

Just curious.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#20]
To see if he would show up in the thread.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#22]
speak of the devil.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Picked up Patriots. Probably get started on it tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Just picked up patriots. Got it at Barnes & Noble of all places. I asked for it thinking they probably would not carry it, but the super hot chick behind the counter pulled up the computer program when I told her I wanted to look for a book, but couldn't remember the arthur. When I told her what the book was, she said "Oh, I have a copy right here" and grabbed one off the counter. I think she'd been flipping through it. Cool.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I just started it today.  Good read so far.  I am so under-prepared!  Only ~100 pages into it.

Thanks!

will have to look into the others mentioned after I finish this one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm.  I might have to check some of these out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I finished The Road last night. I hope the movie is better. That book was hard to follow and kinda fucked up. I am starting One Second After tonight. I hope its better than The Road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top