Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/9/2005 3:18:12 PM EST
Anyone know what happened to Paterson Rod and Gun? Went down to shoot the other day and they were out of business. Is this permament?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:53:04 AM EST
Yes, sadly, mentioned here a few months ago that it was planned. I called and they confirmed.

Sad because they had the best lit range I've found in the region. However, their retail prices were rediculous, so they had no traffic. I strongly believe that if they'd dropped their profit margin a bit they'd have sold a lot more volume and made a lot more, but this may have nothing to do with their closing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:15:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 5:16:16 AM EST by RavenVT100]
So they closed for economic reasons, and not because they did anything wrong?

I'd hate for it to have been the latter reason. I shot there the last day they were open. I kept wondering why the guy behind the counter was in such a bad mood. I found out why later.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:48:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 5:49:01 AM EST by Sandman67]
Shit I had no idea. I shot there once a month, no one said a thing to me. The price for range use was very reasonable -10.00 for as long as you wanted to shoot. That included FREE -getting hit with flying brass from the assholes that would shoot at the moving target. Seriosuly though their ammo prices were a bit high even though I always brought a few boxes to support them each time I went. The gun prices were a little high but the worst was the accessory stuff. I'll never forget the double shelf Gunvault they had for 220.00 while Meltzers was selling them for 149. You can't rape people like that and expect to sell the shit.

I'll miss that place. Hopefully someone else will reopen it. Bullet Hole is just a bit too far for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:56:03 PM EST
Bullet Hole is closer for me, but always packed, the lights are too dim, and the target overheads are so loose and droopy that they sway constantly.

They need to tighten the cables, step up to brighter bulbs pointed downrange, and raise the price by $1 an hour for the extra electricity. Then there will never be an open lane, but at least it will be quality time.

Oh, and their $65 transfer fee (plus NICS, not including it), even on a $79 C&R, is just plain rude. I can see sliding scale, but that's just too much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:30:22 PM EST

Oh, and their $65 transfer fee (plus NICS, not including it), even on a $79 C&R, is just plain rude. I can see sliding scale, but that's just too much.

You gotta be shittin me?

I knew there was a reason I don't like that place. When I lived in Jersey, twice I went in there to spend some serious cash on a handgun, twice I stood around for 15 minutes while the owner bullshitted with his buddies. Twice I walked out with nothing. I will not go there anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:43:55 AM EST
I had similar problems with the Bullet Hole. I usually drive down to Ray's on 22 to shoot.
I bought an archery target special order, it rang up $5 instead of $45; I was correcting the guy (not to be a thief) and the owner starts yelling "what do you mean the price is wrong?" before he knows what's happening, and didn't even say thanks for being honest.
Then I sold a .22 on consignment and they didn't call me for a month after it sold.
Never again.
I'm thinking of joining the Cherry Ridge range, $125/year seems reasonable compared to the central jersey gun clubs, and I'm right in the middle between ANJRPC and the Old Bridge club.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:50:06 AM EST
Cherry Ridge is a very nice range. Plenty of benches, 100, 200 and 300 yard range as well as handgun and shotgun. Nice clubhouse too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:24:20 PM EST
The sign on the building says "The New Paterson Rod & Gun Club" -- was it like that prior to the closing (meaning yep they're out of biz) or was the sign changed (meaning they'll soon be open under new mgmt?

+1 the Paterson R&G was a nice facility, especially in comparison to Oscar the Grouch's range in Belleville.

Cherry Ridge has alotta mosquitos in July.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:53:38 PM EST
It was "new..." for the past several years.

I'm thinking about joining Tenafly just to have a closer place to shoot. Anybody know what their membership fee is?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:30:35 AM EST
I grew up in Belleville and know the owners from the Bullet Hole from living in the same neighborhood. Manny the owner is one tool that's for sure. His wife, daughter, son and son-in-law are okay, but Manny is the problem. Knowing them for over 25 years has never been a benefit that's for sure.

I belong to Cherry Ridge and it is a great place. Once you get to know the rules, it becomes easy. They have common sense rules designed to prevent you from being shot from some arse who doesn't know squat about gun safety. Plus with membership you get some legal resources for free and NJ Rep Scott Garett is an active member there. He's the only NRA worthly politician in the state and I'm glad he is mine! They have all sorts of clinics, swap meets, events for the kids (this weekend is Youthday) and just a lot of nice folks around. But please keep it quite, we don't want it too crowded!

If I go there midweek (or during foul weather) many times I am the only one at the 200/300 yrd for hours and that's nice. I'll be there tomorrow with my new M1.
Top Top