Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:30:37 AM EDT
Post'em here, guys!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for hosting the course and your hard work in helping to run the class.  Pat taught an excellent class, as usual.  Great war stories and top notch training exercises made a great course.  

The rain and heat were an added bonus.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
John, thanks for hosting and for the hard work.  Pat's course was fantastic.  Great group of instructors and shooters allowed for an experience far beyond my expectations.   In addition to the standard drills, we did a number of multiple, moving shooter strings with live fire that I don't imagine many, if any, civilians would be fortunate enough to experience.   The many memorable, and unprintable, quotes were worth the price of admission.

Thanks.

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a kick ass time. I will get some pics up soon.

Exit 8
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd type some long, drawn out, review but my fingers HURT....

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
So who had the cook off?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So who had the cook off?

Grant had the cook off. He had just finished some drills and was standing with a group of students speaking with Pat about the last drill run. He was holding the carbine via the buttstock. The rifle was slung and hanging down, pointed between his feet.

The round went into the ground right between the feet, and gave everyone a pretty good startle. Pat was standing right there and was looking at him when it happened. He agreed that there was no way Grant could of caused an ND, so the only thing left was a cook off.

This happened towards the end of the 3rd day, and it definitely helped re-enforce the idea of proper muzzle discipline. Thankfully Grant wasn't hurt, and the class went on smoothly from there.

Roger That.  A guy that frequents my shop said that it happened but wouldn't say who.  (guess he didn't know I knew a few who went to the course)  I'm glad no one was hurt.   Sounds like Pat was pushing the guys hard.

This Friday I'll be a volunteer 'aggressor' (aka Simunitions bullet catcher) with the USMCs HRP (High Risk Personnel) Course at Quantico.  But we'll be using M4s and M9s and can shoot back. This is gonna hurt.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Not knowing for sure who is who in the gun zoo, I am very reluctant to discuss who attends courses at Quantico.  I see now that Grant has posted on 10-8 forum, so for the record it was GRANT  that had what appears to have been a cookoff.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#14]
"The big difference between this class and others I've attended, is that Pat teaches his students to fight and win with a carbine. Other classes work on basics and fundamentals of using your carbine, this class truely focuses on fighting with a carbine."

In law enforcement, they would call that a clue!

Excellent observation between what Pat does and other instructors do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd be curious to hear what the course attendees found worked and what did not work in terms of any particular equipment (slings, buttstocks, lights, grips, rail systems, etc.).  What did you wish you had that you did not have, and what did you have that did not work as you had expected to?  If it did not work, then were you able to modify your particular equipment on the spot to make it work, or would you not use it again the next time?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, I am using a Paraclete TX-II and the elastic retention is shit. I was running and had a mag fly out. They need to use a stronger elastic that doesn't weaken after the first time you put a mag in it.

I was using a Hellcat chest rig.

HSGI suspenders, SOE rigger belt and a 6004 dropleg holster.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
This was my first private class of this type after some years of .mil service, and I was very impressed by not only the caliber of the instructors, but also the quality of the students.  As Pat mentioned in his AAR this class was really good and I wouldn't hesistate to take another class with any of these guys.  Thanks especially to QSC for making it all happen.

With regards to gear, I only have a few notes:

Sling:  V-Tac padded sling was the right answer for me.  Comfortable, and the adjustability allows you to tighten it across your chest and thus prevent the muzzle from swaying and lasering your feet.  Major plus after you see a carbine cook-off.

Upper:  Had GandR Tactical overnight a Stag/CMT M4 type upper to our hotel - slapped an Eotech on it and ran it for the whole course, no problem.  Considering that the heat and the course of fire took out a number of carbines I was very impressed.

Eotech:  new optic developed an intermittent function ONLY during the unconventional prone firing positions.  Replaced batteries and now seems OK.  Will test further.

LULA:  Possessing one could have spared me cut up fingers.  If you cannot take loaded mags legally in your vehicle this is pretty much a necessity to unload 30 rd magazines in a hurry.

Open topped kydex holster:  My 1911 was fast on transitions out of a dropped and offset holster, but also got sand coated when we were laying on our backs.  Am considering something with a bit more protection.  

Best wishes to all,

Tim
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You mean sand covered like this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Wish I could have been there.  First one missed in the last three years.  Oh well, . . . .
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wish I could have been there.  First one missed in the last three years.  Any of you going too?

Do you mean the one that . . . . ?

I'm hoping I'll be able to make it...

I'm hoping I'll be able to make a future course of his too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Photes courtesy JeffM:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, we had alot of AR15 posters in the class! I recognized Grant from his license plate but everybody else that I asked said...no. Still a great class, though.

Robert
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn I want to go to the next one, when is it?

I feel like I'm getting rusty after this summer's Blackwater class!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Check this website to see when Pat has classes,  www.eagtactical.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top