Pat McNamara T.A.P.S.
Pat McNamara (Mac) has 22 years of Special Operations experience, 13 of which were in 1st SFOD-D. He has extensive experience in hostile fire/combat zones in the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. He trains individuals at basic and advanced levels of marksmanship and combat tactics.
When he worked in the premier special missions unit, he became an impeccable marksman, shooting with accurate, lethal results and tactical effectiveness. McNamara has trained tactical applications of shooting to people of all levels of marksmanship, from varsity level soldiers, and police officers who work the streets to civilians with little to no time behind the trigger.
His military experience quickly taught him that there is more to tactical marksmanship than merely squeezing the trigger. Utilizing his years of experience, McNamara developed a training methodology that is safe, effective and combat relevant and encourages a continuous thought process. This methodology teaches how to maintain safety at all times and choose targets that force accountability, as well as provides courses covering several categories, including individual, collective, on line and standards.
While serving as his Unit’s Marksmanship NCO, he developed his own marksmanship club with NRA, CMP, and USPSA affiliations. Mac ran monthly IPSC matches and ran semi annual military marksmanship championships to encourage marksmanship fundamentals and competitiveness throughout the Army.
He retired from the Army’s premier hostage rescue unit as a Sergeant Major and is the author of T.A.P.S. (Tactical Application of Practical Shooting).
2-Day Tactical Application of Practical Shooting (TAPS)
Tactical shooting requires agile and adaptive thinkers able to handle the challenges of full spectrum operations in an era of persistent conflict. To meet this requirement, TAPS delivers a comprehensive, systematic, progressive Train-the-Trainer shooting program focused on fundamental mastery and built for Law Enforcement officers, military personal, and qualified civilians. Designed for leaders and trainers, the TAPS course also applies to the patrol-level officer, basic level Soldiers, and civilian self & home defense minded shooters. The approach to instruction is through coaching and mentorship and both demonstrates and transfers a training method that is safe, effective, combat relevant, and encourages a continuous thought process that demands accountability.
Training is conducted on the range and focuses on advanced refinement of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship as applied to the primary and secondary weapons systems. Utilizing a building block learning model, TAPS combines the pressures and dynamics of competitive shooting and tactical application. While course of instruction is on the firing range, the TAPS training approach also translates into training venues outside the range.
The 2-day course offering provides the following training and instruction:
- Lecture on proper weapons handling and safety
- Refresh the fundamentals and grouping exercises
- Conduct a diagnostic course of fire
- Conduct a discussion on the importance of performing a focal shift during training and avoiding mundane drills that do not encourage a thought process
- Other topics covered and practiced are; grouping exercises with both primary and secondary weapon systems, target discrimination, use of barricades, movement, close quarter battle techniques, immediate action drills, ballistics 101, transitions, magazine changes
- Escalation of training and intensity will vary depending on number of students and their skill level though the core of the course will always remain the same
- This course is marksmanship intensive.
Instructor: Patrick McNamara (AKA – “Mac”)
Class dates: Sept 28-29, 2013
Location: Elkin, NC
Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:
- Carbine/Rifle of minimum 5.45 / 5.56 caliber
- Minimum of 3 carbine/rifle magazines
- Serviceable duty grade handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Minimum of 3 pistol magazines
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 2 pistol magazine pouches
- Eye and ear protection
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Weapon cleaning & lubrication supplies
- Good attitude
500 rounds of handgun – Max / 200 rounds Min
500 rounds of carbine – Max / 200 rounds Min
To register, visit Alias Training
***IF YOU CANNOT FIND REASONABLY PRICED AMMO FOR THE CLASS PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT Paul@aliastraining.com. WE HAVE SEVERAL VENDORS LINED UP TO SUPPLY AMMO TO OUR STUDENTS.***
Alias Training Revised Ammo Policy For 2013.
Hello, Alias Training would like to announce a new set of clear and concise ammo policies that are in place until the current ammo situation corrects itself.
- A new minimum of 400 rounds has been set for all Alias Training & Security Services associated 2-day classes. This is to be considered an absolute minimum. If this is all the ammo you can find or afford you will be good to go. All efforts will be made to minimalize the effects of shooting fewer rounds in the class. Honestly the class will be the same, you will just have the option of self-regulating your rounds fired per
drill. Example; if the drill calls for four rounds, firing two will be OK. This is completely student self-regulating. Please be careful so you don’t over shoot one drill and miss out on another.
- *Very Important* If you have the standard ammo supply available this policy will not affect you at all. You will just be shooting the class normally. The instructors wanted me to be very clear on this.
- We have not had any restrictions on remanufactured ammo for years but to reiterate it is completely fine in our classes.
- .22 weapons are completely fine. Same with .22 conversion kits.
- We are working with several manufacturers & suppliers to ensure ammo availability for our classes. Some instructors have or are working on their own deals. Other suppliers are going to be helping Alias as a whole. If you cannot find ammo for a class contact Paul at Alias Training (Paul@aliastraining.com) and I will point you in the right direction.
I would like to thank the world-class instructors associated with Alias Training & Security Services for looking out for our customers during this situation.
If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free contact me anytime day or night.