Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 9:42:37 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting some extra parts to have on hand incase something happened where I might need a replacement part and dont know which parts I should get and wondered if anyone has any sugguestions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Although I've never had to replace any of the parts due to failure - consider bolt/carrier parts - ie. firing pin and retaining pin, extractor, extractor spring, ejector parts, and perhaps a D-Fender ring of somesort for the extractor.

Other than that, I myself have never experienced any sort of catastrophic failure of the trigger group, but having an extra disconnect & spring might not be a bad I idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Have an extra AR ;)

I have a smart parts bag, it consists of a firing pin, all the springs, pins and an extractor.

I have never had a failure yet, so it's been sitting in my drawer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
ok thanks guns, I was asking because I have to get a new buffer retainer and spring for my gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're talking about spare parts for an AR-15, I'd get a firing pin, extractor assy, gas rings, and lower spring kit - that shouldn't set you back too much, and will cover you pretty well against a typical parts breakage...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Something similar to this Bushmaster kit.

"High breakage and loss items in a heavy zip-lock bag. Will fit in Stowaway Grip. Includes extractor, 2 extractor springs, 2 extractor spring insert, disconnector, gas ring set, extractor pivot pin, firing pin, 2 firing pin retaining pins, cam pin and spring package of six springs."

Field Repair Kit
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
now heres another question. Are all AR15 parts universal or do u have to get certain ones depending on your gun?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
For the most part, they are universal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Some Colt's have non-standard fire control parts/pins.  If you have a Colt you may need the Colt parts kit listed on the Bushmaster site.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a spare bolt/carrier assembly.It might not seem very cost effective but at least you wont have to take apart your carrier and you know you will been building an AR anyway and you will be one part closer to finishing it!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
well thank you all for the imput, its nice to have friendly and quick replys to my question
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top