Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:26:07 PM EST
Dam, I hate to ask this here but I need some help......... The kid want's one for Christmas and I don't know squat about these things. I grew up with pinball cause that's all there was but can see the cool factor in the PSP and might even fiddle with it myself. So, I see there are several different gens of this thing and found them pretty reasonable/preowned at Gamestop. What should I be looking for and what do I need to make a nice little bundle for Jr???

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:35:07 PM EST
PSP, Games, Carry case, head phones. That should be a nice package I have a first gen model but don't ever use it and saw the new Gen models are sweet looking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:35 PM EST
I think the 3rd generation PSP would be the best, you can buy a package deal (case memory stick etc..) for around $199.00 neew, the PSP GO is the newest model and is priced kind of high.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:04:36 AM EST
go with the PSP 3000 which is the newest model of standard PSP, they are about $160 for just the system or $200 if you get a bundel which is the system a game and normally a memory card and other stuff

Just so you know, PSP 3000 = UMD witch is the drive used for the games, it also has online capablity and a hole slew of other featers

PSP GO = no UMD, PSP go you have to DL all yout content off of the PS Store and can't use the UMD games on it
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:13:24 AM EST
Man, I thought you were looking to buy your son an H&K pistol.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:27:08 AM EST

I have the PSP 3000 and it is a pretty good unit, plus it will still use the UMD disks. I download Tivo recordings onto it and also play mp3s, pretty handy when traveling.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:01:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 9:06:31 AM EST by Redemption_IBIG]
Right now Sony seems to be phasing out the original PSPs, and IS literally forcing people to rebuy every game over their site when they get a PSP GO if they're switching from UMD to the new PSP for whatever reason. Basically this means that games will be placed on a memory stick, and UMD is being made obsolete.

I personally would probably still get an older version, the generation 3000. It will be cheaper, and I have a feeling that since Sony seems to be giving up on UMDs, that there may be a major blow out down the road and you may get some decent deals on games and maybe movies.

So a bundle

1 : PSP 3000; this should come with headphones, a battery charger, and several other accessories.
2 : Check the box before you buy this as the PSP may come with one, but a decent memory card, memory stick pro duo type (at least that's what mine uses).
3 : A game or two! Maybe he'd like Gran Turismo? It's a decent driving game from the reviews I've seen. There is another game called Rock Band Unplugged that he may like. It really depends on him.
4 : A plastic screen cover, to protect the screen from scratches. (Trust me, this is more important than it seems)

Take care!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:42:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Glarus:
Man, I thought you were looking to buy your son an H&K pistol.

No kidding... the original post had me scratching my head!

Top Top