Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2021 9:56:36 PM EDT
Most of you already know this, but it was news to me.  I thought this was just another example of bad journalism:

https://mynorthwest.com/2937019/four-arrested-during-protests-in-downtown-seattle/

But, yes, *any* length fixed blade knife is considered a dangerous weapon, hence illegal.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the article it can be carried in a sheath.  And does anyone know how they measure the blade?  From what point to the hilt or the sharp edge stops?

https://www.courthousenews.com/2nd-amendment-wont-nick-knife-ban-in-seattle/#:~:text=Under%20the%20Seattle%20Municipal%20Code,than%203%201%2F2%20inches.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA: nothing is illegal in Seattle
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That all depends on who you are.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, this is true. Keep it hidden, regardless.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to the article it can be carried in a sheath.  And does anyone know how they measure the blade?  From what point to the hilt or the sharp edge stops?

https://www.courthousenews.com/2nd-amendment-wont-nick-knife-ban-in-seattle/#:~:text=Under%20the%20Seattle%20Municipal%20Code,than%203%201%2F2%20inches.

View Quote

That article is almost 7 years old. The SMC definition only has a length restriction for anything that isn't fixed blade.

12A.14.010 - Definitions
The following definitions apply in this Chapter 12A.14:
"Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than 3 1/2 inches in length.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't live in Seattle but I visit there often enough that when I bought my knife (ESEE 3) I made sure it was a 3" blade just in case I absent mindedly brought it to Seattle. It's often on my belt and I frequently forget it's there and wear it everywhere.

We need a no preemption law for knives so there aren't different rules all across the state.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
got arrested for having a diving knife on me that was 1.5 inches over 15 years ago
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top