Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/3/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
Hello, I haven't been to a PRO Gun Show for probably ten years and am planning on going to the one in January at Westland Mall in Columbus.  For those of you who visit these frequently; what all is normally available in terms of AR-15 accessories.  I've been looking for a railed forend, front flip-up, rear, and both grips, yada,yada,yada until the cash runs out.  I'd like to see some of this stuff in person instead of filtering thru pages and pages of threads trying to figure out what I like. Thanks in advance.-
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Really hard to tell what or who will show up at Westland.

A few shows ago a dealer had a big table full of high-end AR stuff.

Last time there was only Sherluck and 1 other dealer with a decent selection of AR accessories. There's a dealer that goes to the Goodman's show that has a ton of aftermarket stuff, but I can't recall his name offhand. I wish they ventured over to Cowlumbus once and a while.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
We're not even setting up at this one.  I may head over on saturday to see if there are any deals.  I have a feeling that these shows are going to go down hill fast since the main ammo supplier is no longer going to be there any more.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop by the table man.

What happened to the ammo dealer???  I noticed they were missing last show.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't recall ever seeing alot of ammo at a Westland show
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't recall ever seeing alot of ammo at a Westland show

You have to move something out of the way in order to sell those candles and neat indian dreamcatchers, ya know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Last westland show there was no fircken ammo at all only some guy selling 223 for 2 bucks too much.

As for AR stuff there were a few peeps that had some goodies.

There was one dealer who had a good selection But the price was to high.

I will be there Sat AM. I have couple of guns to sell

Any locals looking for a good deal on a New England Arms single shot 410 full choke like new?????
$65.00 FTF
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Will be there Sat AM to pick up a few mags.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses, doesn't sound like a very exciting show, still a gun show though. I'll be there on Satuday AM also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The big ammo guys that use to be on the right just as you came in (Matts SKS), are gone.  They are only doing the Goodman shows now.  Apparently there were three ammo venders Matts and two others and the two others were buying all their stuff from Matts.  So they broke up the gunshows as not to compete with each other.  Swingset, The guy that I was behind at the last show is going to be the "main" ammo vendor now.  He said that if he could not make at least $10.00 a case of ammo he was not going to even sell it.  He pulled his Wolf 7.62x39 off the table because some dude was selling it for $85/1000 and he said his cost was $80 and he wasn't hauling it around for $5/1000 (not that I blame him at all).  He was a real nice guy I have bought stuff from him in the past and will do so in the future but the ammo is going to be slim pickens.  We were talking about ammo and he said that the internet was killing the gunshow sales because the wholesalers were selling to the public at such a low cost that the vendors couldn't make enough money to even bother anymore.  I do better business online anyway but this weekend is not a good weekend for me to spend sitting at a show.  I might stop by for a little while.  When you all going to be there?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I might stop by for a little while.  When you all going to be there?

I'll be there later in the day Saturday, going to the OGCA show in Wilmington in the morning, so I'll hit the show on the way home.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The big ammo guys that use to be on the right just as you came in (Matts SKS), are gone.  They are only doing the Goodman shows now.  Apparently there were three ammo venders Matts and two others and the two others were buying all their stuff from Matts.  So they broke up the gunshows as not to compete with each other.  Swingset, The guy that I was behind at the last show is going to be the "main" ammo vendor now.  He said that if he could not make at least $10.00 a case of ammo he was not going to even sell it.  He pulled his Wolf 7.62x39 off the table because some dude was selling it for $85/1000 and he said his cost was $80 and he wasn't hauling it around for $5/1000 (not that I blame him at all).  He was a real nice guy I have bought stuff from him in the past and will do so in the future but the ammo is going to be slim pickens.  We were talking about ammo and he said that the internet was killing the gunshow sales because the wholesalers were selling to the public at such a low cost that the vendors couldn't make enough money to even bother anymore.  I do better business online anyway but this weekend is not a good weekend for me to spend sitting at a show.  I might stop by for a little while.  When you all going to be there?

Some of these vendors need to learn about loss leaders and such. You sell your ammo @ XXX amount make 5 bucks and mark up your other stuff a buck or two and recover your loss.    

The biggest scam they run is the sales tax issue. Oh, we have to collect sales tax, They say to you. But where is my receipt showing the sales tax you collected? I asked, Oh we ran out but I can hand write you one. AHHHHH BULLLL SHIIIIIIIIIIT,  Excuse me!

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i was at the last westland mall show. it sucked.

3 airsoft dealers.
1 hot sauce dealer.
1 guy selling cheap chinese suitcases.
2 dealers selling chinese ninja swords.
2 dealers selling weird looking chinese knives.
1 dealer selling weird looking stag horn knives.

more walnut than a turkish forest.

more fake put-together guns than real ones.

bad food and a one-hole restroom.

So you're saying that you had a good time?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i was at the last westland mall show. it sucked.

3 airsoft dealers.
1 hot sauce dealer.
1 guy selling cheap chinese suitcases.
2 dealers selling chinese ninja swords.
2 dealers selling weird looking chinese knives.
1 dealer selling weird looking stag horn knives.

more walnut than a turkish forest.

more fake put-together guns than real ones.

bad food and a one-hole restroom.

So you're saying that you had a good time?

Of course he did. Otherwise it wouldn't have left such a vivid memory.

The worst gun show still beats sitting on my ass enjoying the putrid Ohio weather. So to Westland I'll go, hopes high that a deal will jump out from behind a table and hump my leg or something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The worst gun show still beats sitting on my ass enjoying the putrid Ohio weather.

Very true, not to mention the fact that you will be supporting the folks at PRO that fight for our cause.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
not to mention the fact that you will be supporting the folks at PRO that fight for our cause.

That's a great point. I hear alot of guys bitch about gun shows and the PRO show specifically, but PRO fights for us in our own back yard, and they do it well.

I've heard guys complain that a WASR for instance was $329 at the PRO show, when they could get it off the net for $299. Add the transfer and there's no savings, plus at the show you not only support PRO and a local dealer, but you also get to put your hands on the piece and examine it. That to me is worth some extra cash. Yes, some dealers are on crack with their prices, but some are right inline with market and I don't hesitate to buy something if I want it. A bird in the hand is worth 10% of the cost, to me anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The first 2 shows at Westland were good for a change, but I do not think I will go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeh, I expect Knox to be askin $200/500 XM193....

Some of those guys could not pass a peepee test with their prices, that's for sure.

Be sure to let me know if you are from here if/when you stop by kids.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Who's gonna be there on Sunday? I can't get down to Columbus till then and I'd be pleased to meet a few ARFCommers while I'm there.
I'll be the 50+ guy with the hat that reads "Celebrate Hiroshima Day - Aug 6" I've gotten some commentary on that one at times!
Not looking for anything in particular, If there is ammo available I might pick some up.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
thatguy-How will I be able to identify your booth?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thatguy-How will I be able to identify your booth?

BUSSE COMBAT sign hanging right above it, really big honking knives below it. Be sure to check out the Busse video while you're there. Pretty awesome what they do to and with those knives.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you sir swingset...

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Kuntz85 stopped by today.  Good to meet you man!!

Anyone else venture out???

Anyone comin Sunday??
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Kuntz85 stopped by today.  Good to meet you man!!

Anyone else venture out???

Anyone comin Sunday??

I was there and planned on saying hi, but it looked like you had a potential sale and I didn't want to interrupt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#25]
We need to come up with some kind of secret signal for when we see other Ohio AR dot comm_ers
that are un able to talk at the moment.

I suggest the little rascal’s woodchuck sign

Did anyone else think the show was little WEAK !
What was really toasted my chestnuts was the guys who had Colt 20 rounds mags that were very rough and wanted 20 each for them. and would not deal.

But I did get good deal on two factory glock 26 mags for ten each new
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
We need to come up with some kind of secret signal for when we see other Ohio AR dot comm_ers
that are un able to talk at the moment.

We could create a patch like the Makarov.com crew.  Or then again, we could just all wear rainbow patches.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be there on Sunday morning (wearing a black Ping jacket and a Hoyt hat). I'll be walking with a buddy of mine trying to sell his Varmint AR (wish that I had the extra cash for it) Hopefully I'll finally meet someone from this site!

Take care

Mike
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'll be there on Sunday morning (wearing a black Ping jacket and a Hoyt hat). I'll be walking with a buddy of mine trying to sell his Varmint AR (wish that I had the extra cash for it) Hopefully I'll finally meet someone from this site!

Take care

Mike

Make sure to stop by thatmguy's booth and watch the video on his knives, absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#29]
BTW, what was up with the guy selling the build-your-own meth lab kits?  Anyone else see this? Of course it was passed off as first-aid stuff, but come on, who really has a practical use for these items?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
BTW, what was up with the guy selling the build-your-own meth lab kits?  Anyone else see this? Of course it was passed off as first-aid stuff, but come on, who really has a practical use for these items?

I have practical uses for it. I have an evil-scientist setup in the basement. I make elixers, bubbling cauldrens of magical goo, and oh yeah, meth.

Seriously, I have a friend who buys crap like that all the time, uses it for all sorts of stuff. He's a tinkerer and amateur science freak. Nothing wrong with selling it, only in using it for evil. Kind of like our beloved black rifles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
The "Medic" is a good dude.  Some of his first aid stuff is top notch (ER grade) and priced well below what you could get it for at a med supply place.

Did you pick up the ringed $5 SAS Survival Guides he had???

Check out his stuff next time before judging his offerings so flippantly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What was really toasted my chestnuts was the guys who had Colt 20 rounds mags that were very rough and wanted 20 each for them. and would not deal.

From the prices, you'd think there was still a ban on.

Of course, most of the mags at the show are the same mags from Xmas 2002..........
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Check out his stuff next time before judging his offerings so flippantly.

Wow, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. It just struck me as odd  and I could not figure out who would use those items for a legitimate use.  Obviously hospital purchasing departments are not coming to a gun show to purchase supplies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#34]
For the Saturday attenders did any of you notice the biker dude with the BO that could strip the blueing off of a High-Point?

How's bout that ammo selection.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
For the Saturday attenders did any of you notice the biker dude with the BO that could strip the blueing off of a High-Point?

You make it sound like thats a difficult thing to do. If you breathe wrong you could probably strip the 'blueing' off a Crap-Point.

Wanted to go, but had to work (story of my life). Maybe next month. Wife still wants to sell her CZ and get a 1911 (good girl!), so when schedule and money permit, we'll go to a show.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top