Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/20/2009 10:47:36 AM EST
Here's the transcript of what the ballot will read on election day:

Proposed Constitutional Amendment

To create the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board to Establish and Implement Standards of Care for Livestock and Poulty

To adopt Section 1 of Article XIV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio

This proposed Amendment would:

1. Require the state to create the Livestock Care Standards Board to prescribe standards for animal care and well-being that endeavor to maintain food safety, encourage locally grown and raised food and protect Ohio farms and families.

2. Authorize this bipartisan board of thirteen members to consider factors that include, but are not limited to, agricultural best management practices for such care and well-being, biosecurity, disease prevention, animal morbidity and mortality data, food safety practices, and the protection of local, affordable food supplies for consumers when establishing and implementing standards.

3. Provide that the board shall be comprised of thirteen Ohio residents including representative of Ohio family farms, farming organizations, food safety experts, veterinarians, consumers, the dean of the agricultural department at an Ohio college or University and a county humane society representative.

4. Authorize the Ohio department that regulates agriculture to administer and enforce the standards established by the board, subject to the authority of the General Assembly.

If adopted, this amendment shall take effect immediately.

A "Yes" vote approves the amendment, a "no" vote means disapproval of the amendment.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Now, like most of you guys would be, initially I was against this b/c it sounds like bigger gov't and more regulation. After learning the facts behind this, I'm now for it. Essentially what is going on is the Humane Society of the United States, a non-profit org like PETA has come in and said they want to make a board that will oversee Ohio agriculture and make their own rules and regulations. This group has already succeeded in doing this in California and Michigan. This group wants chickens not to be housed in chicken coups, they want one pig per stall and all kinds of crazy liberal hippy crap, basically anything to make agriculture not profitable or feasable, they're all for it. The head guy for HSUS is even a vegetarian. Basically we are voting for the lesser of two evils, either a board of Ohio residents with local farmers on the board or we can hand it over to the liberals, vegetarians and eco-freaks with the HSUS who will ruin agriculture in Ohio, one of, if not the only successful industry in Ohio right now. Essentially, HSUS wants a agricultural model that will put us back to 1950's style farming, a style that would bankrupt our home-grown farmers and cause a major drop in food production from Ohio farmers.

This is not voting for big gov't, more taxes and more regulation, this is a vote for the lesser of two evils because one way or another a board will be created and it can either be run by local residents who's lives depend on successful agriculture or by libtard PETA freaks from Cali that want to ruin our economy, our agricultural system and end the meat industry as they've done in Michigan and California...

check out their website. http://www.hsus.org/ - full libtard PETA freaks

Please, vote yes or don't vote at all and tell others to do the same....
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:56:13 PM EST
Like everything else both sides are confusing the hell out of every voter.

I still don't know where I stand.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=381542
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 2:45:56 PM EST
I get it .... lets set up a BS board to dictate more of our actions before someone else does. I say quit beating around the bush running from the Humane Society and fight. I'm voting no unless someone can convince me that issue 2 is a good idea even without worrying about the HSUS. There's my question ..... Is Issue 2 a good idea for any other reason besides blocking the HSUS?
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 2:59:18 PM EST
Been doing a little research and here are some points to consider:

It's an amendment to the constitution so once it's done any new law concerning agriculture cannot be brought up on a ballot and voted on.

If peta has their way you can count on food prices going up.

Organic farmers are for issue 2. Why? Well they make their $ by making organic/free range products and if all farms go that way then how will they distinguish their products from the large farms?

The radical commie / left is against 2

So as far as I can see we stand to gain more that we lose, at least for now. We get to keep PETA from screwing with farms, in return we lose the long term ability to change things by a ballot vote. A tradeoff any way you slice it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:39:56 PM EST
this is kinda a dupe http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=381542

here's another perspective on it: see my post taken from Ohio Liberty Council - the language of the construction of the council was weakened in the legislative process unfortunatley, and basically voting for issue 2 is NO guarantee to prevent HSUS from the attack, they plan to attack either way...
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 7:31:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By WileyCoyote:
this is kinda a dupe http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=381542

here's another perspective on it: see my post taken from Ohio Liberty Council - the language of the construction of the council was weakened in the legislative process unfortunatley, and basically voting for issue 2 is NO guarantee to prevent HSUS from the attack, they plan to attack either way...

I vote yes, and further more i can see down the road PETA/HSUS going after hunters stating they can't hunt on farm land, well they may try to go the route anyway if issue 2 does pass. And i hope to god PETA/HSUS never finds this refuge for "us".

I also imagine in the future without a certain amount of regulation there is going to be a decline in private butchers, delis, markets that buy local. I'm all for the small guy, and i try my best to keep my money in ohio.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 11:28:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2009 11:29:58 AM EST by Shooter42]
libtards, PETA and HSUS are against issue 2, that alone should be the only reasoning you need to vote yes. They're against issue 2 b/c they want HSUS to set up the board and from what I'm hearing it's going to go down one way or another so voting yes on issue 2 is essentially the lesser of 2 evils... Vote yes on 2 or sit around and wait for PETA/HSUS to impose their will on us, the choice is yours... Small time farmers are for issue 2 including my uncle who runs a few pig barns but if you want the liberals/PETA/HSUS to come in and call the shots like they are currently in Michigan and California then vote no...
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 2:03:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 1:44:58 PM EST by Digital_Chaos]
I have no clue on 2
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 12:24:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 4:08:24 PM EST by ohiobob]
Originally Posted By Shooter42:

To create the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board to Establish and Implement Standards of Care for Livestock and PoultyTo adopt Section 1 of Article XIV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio

1. Require the state to create the Livestock Care Standards Board to prescribe standards for animal care and well-being that endeavor to maintain food safety, encourage locally grown and raised food and protect Ohio farms and families.

2. Authorize this bipartisan board of thirteen members to consider factors that include, but are not limited to, agricultural best management practices for such care and well-being, biosecurity, disease prevention, animal morbidity and mortality data, food safety practices, and the protection of local, affordable food supplies for consumers when establishing and implementing standards.

3. Provide that the board shall be comprised of thirteen Ohio residents including representative of Ohio family farms, farming organizations, food safety experts, veterinarians, consumers, the dean of the agricultural department at an Ohio college or University and a county humane society representative.

4. Authorize the Ohio department that regulates agriculture to administer and enforce the standards established by the board, subject to the authority of the General Assembly.

A "Yes" vote approves the amendment, a "no" vote means disapproval of the amendment.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Now, like most of you guys would be, initially I was against this b/c it sounds like bigger gov't and more regulation. After learning the facts behind this, I'm now for it. Essentially what is going on is the Humane Society of the United States, a non-profit org like PETA has come in and said they want to make a board that will oversee Ohio agriculture and make their own rules and regulations. This group has already succeeded in doing this in California and Michigan. This group wants chickens not to be housed in chicken coups, they want one pig per stall and all kinds of crazy liberal hippy crap, basically anything to make agriculture not profitable or feasable, they're all for it. The head guy for HSUS is even a vegetarian. Basically we are voting for the lesser of two evils, either a board of Ohio residents with local farmers on the board or we can hand it over to the liberals, vegetarians and eco-freaks with the HSUS who will ruin agriculture in Ohio, one of, if not the only successful industry in Ohio right now. Essentially, HSUS wants a agricultural model that will put us back to 1950's style farming, a style that would bankrupt our home-grown farmers and cause a major drop in food production from Ohio farmers.

This is not voting for big gov't, more taxes and more regulation, this is a vote for the lesser of two evils because one way or another a board will be created and it can either be run by local residents who's lives depend on successful agriculture or by libtard PETA freaks from Cali that want to ruin our economy, our agricultural system and end the meat industry as they've done in Michigan and California...

So wouldn't a YES vote establish this Board?
Wouldn't a no vote leave shit alone? I live in Farm Country and there is a lot of Farmers around here with a vote NO sign in their yards, or I read them wrong so now I have to look the next time I am out to make sure but if I run into them I will ask them WTF is going on?
Of course there are a few Farmers from the SOuthern tip of the County writing into the paper and asking for a YES vote sooo ?
I will have to stop up the road and try and find out what there thinking is because now I am confused

I just went to the Farm down the road from me and his sign did say YES Maybe I have been reading to many damn signs lately
I vote YES because I was told the Board is in and NO would mean PETA and HSUS would man that fucking Board and YES means Ohio People DO man the Board so I am voting YES now matter WTF anyone else says

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 1:50:29 PM EST
Voting yes on issue 2 makes it impossible for PETA or the likes to gain control over farmers. I'm voting yes unless I hear better arguments against it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:27:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By carbine85:
Voting yes on issue 2 makes it impossible for PETA or the likes to gain control over farmers. I'm voting yes unless I hear better arguments against it.

Yes, that is what they say now. Then we get more goverment in our lives,and then they change the rules to let these Acorn type groups in to fuck with everybody anyways.

I vote no...
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:31:25 PM EST
I say a yes vote should leave shit the way it always was, who's idea of a new Board was it anyway? HSUS?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:35:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ohiomadman57:
Originally Posted By carbine85:

Yes, that is what they say now. Then we get more goverment in our lives,and then they change the rules to let these Acorn type groups in to fuck with everybody anyways.

I vote no...

Issue 2 is an attempt to avoid what has happened in other states. PETA and the likes are creating more control and cost. It's almost like a yes vote is the better of 2 evils
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:45:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2009 9:46:01 AM EST by JarheadPatriot]
Cost?

Will this appointed board work for free?

What's the budget?

Who's going to pay for it?

Oversight? Who has it?

No, for me, unless I get some money answers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:58:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
Cost?

Will this appointed board work for free?

What's the budget?

Who's going to pay for it?

Oversight? Who has it?

No, for me, unless I get some money answers.

This what I can't figure out, if a "YES" Vote keeps PETA and HSUS out, then why don't it just revert back to the way it was? who said a new Board has to be established at all with the YES vote?

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 11:57:40 AM EST
So,....I'm confused.

A 'Yes' will keep PETA out and a 'No' allows them in?

I'm still miffed over issue 4 from a few years ago. Vote 'Yes' to keep the antismokers away, was the mantra.

That one fooled the majority.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 12:47:15 PM EST
Two "yes" votes out of this house hold.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 1:24:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2009 1:25:52 PM EST by HoleSight]

To create the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board to Establish and Implement Standards of Care for Livestock and Poulty

To adopt Section 1 of Article XIV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio

So, as of now there is no such Board?

Ohio family farms––-conservative
Farming orgs––––––––––-conservative
Vets––––––––––––––––-liberal
Consumer–––––––––––-liberal
Food safety expert–––––-–liberal
Dean from college––––––––liberal
Humane Soc. rep––––-––liberal

4. Authorize the Ohio department that regulates agriculture to administer and enforce the standards established by the board, subject to the authority of the General Assembly.This sounds good.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:08:29 PM EST
I still say NO. What's to keep HS or PETA people from getting on the board? Why do we need to create more gvmt jobs that likely pay way too much?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 4:32:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mscott:
I still say NO. What's to keep HS or PETA people from getting on the board? Why do we need to create more gvmt jobs that likely pay way too much?

This is my point, who deemed that we needed this Board to begin with and if Issue 2 is voted down why don't it go back to the way it was?
I just read the detailed explanation in our local paper and either way it sounds fucked up

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 5:26:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2009 5:43:00 PM EST by HoleSight]
Originally Posted By ohiobob:
Originally Posted By Mscott:

This is my point, who deemed that we needed this Board to begin with and if Issue 2 is voted down why don't it go back to the way it was?
I just read the detailed explanation in our local paper and either way it sounds fucked up

I read up on this issue and all I took away from it is a lot of fear mongering and BS being generated.

I grew up on a farm and know one thing for sure,......

People who have not farmed have no place, or standing, to tell farmers how to operate.

It's a "NO VOTE" for me.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 3:36:19 AM EST
I believe the farmers and producers can get what they want done without a constitutional amendment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:41:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By atnas:
I believe the farmers and producers can get what they want done without a constitutional amendment.

Yeah, it's an amendment that makes it a problem.

We do have to watch out for HU and PETA though. Their goal isn't to make animals for comfortable, it is to destroy farming. They are going around farms here and letting cattle out at night.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:48:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:

Yeah, it's an amendment that makes it a problem.

We do have to watch out for HU and PETA though. Their goal isn't to make animals for comfortable, it is to destroy farming. They are going around farms here and letting cattle out at night.

send them dow our way
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:04:31 PM EST
Basically we are voting for the lesser of two evils...

When has THAT ever turned out in our favor?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:43:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2009 5:48:17 PM EST by astronwolf]

..... this is a vote for the lesser of two evils because one way or another a board will be created and it can either be run by local residents who's lives depend on successful agriculture or by libtard PETA freaks from Cali that want to ruin our economy, our agricultural system and end the meat industry as they've done in Michigan and California...

This is the one argument I do not understand.

Why not vote NO now, and when the PETA boogie man rears its head, vote NO for that too?

I dislike being goaded into voting for something based on fear alone. How many times have we drank the "lesser of two evils koolaid" before, and got SCREWED. PETA and HSUS can infilterate this new board in the future. What's to stop them? I say vote all these beeyatchs down. Vote NO.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:27:29 PM EST
here's a great link everyone needs to check out: http://www.ohiolibertycouncil.com/?p=882
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:45:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2009 4:46:59 AM EST by ohiobob]
The question was asked is there anything in Issue 2 that prevents the HSUS from coming into the State and balloting a Constitutional Amendment and she replies
"There is Nothing" WTF ?
The "Word" is that a yes vote will prevent PETA lickers and HSUS from having any say in farming and she is saying that there is nothing to stop them from pushing their agenda?
So farmers don't even want or need this Board, but this is Governments way of sticking their nose into farming?
So we could vote no to keep a Board out and then take on the PETA Lickers and HSUS later, defeat them and then things will be back to the way it was right ????

Representative Ruhl says there is nothing

Ohio District 90 Representative Margaret Anne Ruhl was asked the question: "Representative Ruhl, is there anything in Issue 2 that prevents HSUS from coming into the state next year and balloting a constitutional amendment?" The answer: "There is nothing."

This seems to contradict Ohio Farm Bureau's campaign in which they have been telling farmers that this issue will prevent HSUS from coming in putting in harmful restrictions on farmers. HSUS has stated publicly that a Yes or No vote on issue 2 will not stop them (see below)...

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publica...

"Issue 2 requires no changes in the inhumane confinement of Ohio's farm animals. If Issue 2 passes this November, The HSUS is prepared to launch a statewide ballot initiative campaign to ensure that animals on Ohio's factory farms have enough room to turn around and extend their limbs."

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:50:24 PM EST

This. More regulation is never better.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:35:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2009 6:36:01 PM EST by WileyCoyote]
i don't see how this board could remotely "represent" the interests of farmers when 10 of the members would likely be "appointed" by the governor, house speaker, and senate president - WHO ARE ALL POLITICIANS, and we all know how politicians, from either party, peddle around special interest groups! So how lopsided is this if only 3 positions are for farmers? C'mon people, this doesn't smell right...

like the representative said at the tail end of answering one of the citizen's questions "the public will have a say in things, just like they are in the health care debate at the federal level" - to which the audience basically laughed and scoffed! So, there you have it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:23:27 AM EST
The nasty "animal righs" bitch in my neighborhood has a big handmade "no on issue 2" sign in her yard, which pretty much guarantees my vote for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:47:23 AM EST
This issue sounds like pre-emptive Liberalism to me!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:15:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 7:15:40 AM EST by scmar]
See other post . FUCK peta, hsu , and alf.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:17:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 8:18:12 AM EST by astronwolf]
What Issue 2 proponents are saying

Accept more government regulation and intervention, or we'll sic PETA and HSUS on you!!!!

And you know how all powerful PETA and HSUS are... resistance is futile... look at all the other states where our strategy...er...PETA and HSUS have destroyed farming...

What people are being scared into responding

You are right. There is nothing we can do to prevent the "inevitable." We're powerless. We must cast our lot with the state, and hope for the best...

Later

The door is wide open for the feds pushing stuff like this onto the states:

http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html + http://www.unausa.org/Document.Doc?id=493 = Family Farming Fun!

Or whatever else happens to become important in the future...
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:46:10 PM EST
A VOTE FOR ISSUE 2 IS A VOTE FOR HSUS AND PETA.

Think about this for a second. Why do we have Issue 2? Because HSUS and PETA told Ohio to do something or else.
Basically they told us to screw ourselves or they would try to screw us later.

Who wants more control and regulation? - HSUS and PETA. If Issue 2 passes what do we have? More control and regulation.

Think aboiut it from their point of view, what is easier to control 1000's of individual farmers, 100's of individual cities, 88 counites or 13 political appointees?

A lot of well intentioned people are misguided and being manipulated into thinking that if Issue 2 passes, HSUS and PETA will go away. If ISSUE 2 passes, THEY WILL NOT STOP, THEY HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT. If issue 2 passes we will have saved them a lot of time effort and money to screw us harder on their next go round. Just like a spoiled child, the more you give into them and give them the more they want and the more obnoxiuous they will become.

HSUS and PETA PRETEND to be against issue 2 but if it passes, they get a good portion of what they want.

VOTE AGAINST ISSUE 2 , HSUS AND PETA.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:50:57 PM EST

To create the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board to Establish and Implement Standards of Care for Livestock and PoultyTo adopt Section 1 of Article XIV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Wouldn't a no vote leave shit alone? I live in Farm Country and there is a lot of Farmers around here with a vote NO sign in their yards, or I read them wrong so now I have to look the next time I am out to make sure but if I run into them I will ask them WTF is going on?
Of course there are a few Farmers from the SOuthern tip of the County writing into the paper and asking for a YES vote sooo ?
I will have to stop up the road and try and find out what there thinking is because now I am confused

I just went to the Farm down the road from me and his sign did say YES Maybe I have been reading to many damn signs lately
I vote YES because I was told the Board is in and NO would mean PETA and HSUS would man that fucking Board and YES means Ohio People DO man the Board so I am voting YES now matter WTF anyone else says

Whoever told you that the board is in no matter what is a lying bastard, or talking out their ass.

Basically giant factory farms want to pass this so they can screw over the small family farmer. Since they know that no family farmer in their right mind is going to vote for more government interference in their business, they came up with this BS that if you vote NO on issue 2, that peta is going to create their own board.

Its total BS. Dont fall for that crap.

If you vote NO on issue 2, it means that nothing changes, and no board is created.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:05:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By BuckeyeTom:

Whoever told you that the board is in no matter what is a lying bastard, or talking out their ass.

Basically giant factory farms want to pass this so they can screw over the small family farmer. Since they know that no family farmer in their right mind is going to vote for more government interference in their business, they came up with this BS that if you vote NO on issue 2, that peta is going to create their own board.

Its total BS. Dont fall for that crap.

If you vote NO on issue 2, it means that nothing changes, and no board is created.

Read my post above, I watched the Videos and Rep Ruhl said that nothing will or can keep PETA and HSUS from putting shit on the ballot daown the road.
I was told what you put in Bold by people and said by that Iwould vote yes, but after my Post above, I am voting No.
The Farmers say a Board is coming and they were told a Yes means people from Ohio will man this Board and a No vote means PETA and HSUS mans the Board, I wonder who got in their ear?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:18:16 PM EST
That's the way I see it Bob.!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:09:39 PM EST
I'm voting no. It just sounds like a waste of money paying those board members. It doesnt say anything about them being volunteers for the good of the farming community.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:18:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 3:38:11 AM EST by safe1]
I am not pro issue 2 but I have talked a few farmers and they say it is the lesser of two evils. I know Bobby Boggs (He prefers Robert), the State Sec. of Agriculture, and all I can say is that he is a career politician and he loves power! I am opposed to giving him more and even though there is a board appointed I can’t help but think they will be under his thumb.

I am kind of torn on the issue, PETA and the like want to bring California like laws to Ohio and I wonder if, when the time comes, people will fight their agenda. I have a suspicion that the general population will be more worried who gets voted off Idol than who looks out for the dairy cows when the fight with PETA is at our door.

As it stands now I am voting for the issue even though I dread the thought of Boggs having more control over anything.

ETA: After watching the video clips on Ohio Liberty I changed my mind I will be voting NO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:18 AM EST
We raise goats and a chickens on a small farm. I will be voting NO!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:39:59 PM EST
No way no how. A vote for issue 2 doesn't keep Peta away, sorry.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top