Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 3:51:44 PM EDT by ChickenMan81]
I heard today on 630 AM Bill Farmer introduce plans to DO AWAY with state income taxes AND lower the sales tax to 5%. Apparently himself and Stan Lee have written a draft that will be introduced this session. My understanding is that while this seems to destory state revenue, basically a "luxury" tax will be put into place on certain services. Example: Dry Cleaning bill will include a higher (more than 5%) tax. I know this isnt gun related but just think, no income tax means more money in your pocket which equals more ammo/mags/guns you can buy.

Draft of bill can be found here
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:05:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:06:47 PM EDT
If that happens, you can count on guns and ammo being "luxuries" (unless, of course, the Democrats take them away entirely).

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:29:16 PM EDT
Thats true. Didnt think of that. But since this is just on the state level, and knowing what a big hunting/shooting/all-around gun friendly state, i would like to think that that wouldnt happen. But who knows, anything could happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:08:48 PM EDT
Can't see this happening with Ky being as broke as it is.

I do see an increase in the cigarette tax next year though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:17:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hacker:

Yarmuth should have some money left over after raping the bridge project. He's as anti-gun as Obama and Biden. How the in the F he ever got back in his way beyond me, but oh well. I think he's the cause of kentucky's crappy problems.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 10:19:36 AM EDT by Tankdawg0057]
Originally Posted By Hacker:

+1 State's been broke since Patton was the Gov. Doesn't sound like such a good idea w/ the budget in the shitter. Count on guns, ammo, tobacco, and alcohol (all the fun stuff) being considered as luxury if that passes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:26:39 AM EDT
I dont see why the state couldnt survive off of merely a 5% income tax, and all the various fee's imposed to do anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:04:44 PM EDT
Let me say this, first off they can stick that cigarette tax in their butt! Its not right to single out a particular group of people to support the States over spending. A few years ago if you all remember we voted out the property tax on automobiles, but its still here because they say they cant figure out how to make up for that $71 million a year, even though they have found the property tax on automobiles to be unlawful because the property tax was to be placed on things that appricate in value like a piece of land or a house. They need to do like some of the other States, raise the sales tax and do away with the income tax. Raising the sales tax makes it fair to everyone, and then more out of State people help pay the bills. Just my opinion here!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 6:40:32 PM EDT by BangStick1]
I only caught part of it but as I understood, they also intend to impose a 'sales tax' on services.

One hand giveth, one hand taketh away.

Bait and switch.

Same ol', same ol'.

I work in a service industy and I have enough on my plate keeping the books just for income tax purposes. I don't want to have to collect and pay 'sales tax' for my service also.

Customers, ( that be you) will foot the bill for the extra accounting. Services go beyond just your dry-cleaning
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:59:07 AM EDT
In today's internet age, local sales taxes are easily avoidable by simply mail-ordering from out of state.
How many people report their ebay purchases on their tax returns?

The government needs to downsize and quit wasting so much money and non-essential services.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:21:30 PM EDT
The dry cleaning example was just mentioned on the radio. I realize that the extra service charge goes beyond just that. The bill itself lists a pretty broad array of what services would be taxed.
Top Top