Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 12:07:24 PM EDT
I will be moving to florida here soon and need to know if theres any special requirement for my weapons (do they need to be registered with Florida or whatever) or is your state like Texas where you pay the man get a background check and leave with your new prize?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, Florida is pretty pro gun except for some very liberal areas, like Miami. But still, there is no registering, just a background check and you can take the gun the same day if you have a CCW license.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
well when you do move here, if your driving. If you have a CCW permit, you'll be fine, but otherwise keep'em in the trunk or outta plain sight. Just so you don't get any hassles, above all common sense and that it isn't stolen is what most cops I have encountered have gone by. my .03
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Where in FL are you moving?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Florida state law does NOT forbid a person (WITHOUT a CCW) from keeping a firearm in the passenger compartment. It must only be securely encased. A practical interpretation is holstered and in the glove box.

Very true.  If this happens to you, be prepared for a long stay on the side of the road though (Metro Miami PD).  Mine was almost an hour.  The officers were polite, after.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok Cool
So If I go to buy a handgun or rifle is there a waiting period? Or just the same instant check system we have here?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Florida state law does NOT forbid a person (WITHOUT a CCW) from keeping a firearm in the passenger compartment.  It must only be securely encased.    A practical interpretation is holstered and in the glove box.

Don't let anyone mislead you with that popular "3 movements from use" crap. It does not exist.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida state law does NOT forbid a person (WITHOUT a CCW) from keeping a firearm in the passenger compartment.  It must only be securely encased.    A practical interpretation is holstered and in the glove box.

Don't let anyone mislead you with that popular "3 movements from use" crap. It does not exist.

The ONLY thing to have to do to carry in your car is, have it out of view. You can have it in your console, glove box, in your purse, just keep it out of view.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I dont really plan on getting pulled over or speading either seeing as I have an infant and a 2 year old riding along. Just not worth the risk. How long does it take to get a CHL in FL it takes about 3 months here?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't follow that last one.

Florida's state Constitution specifically states that the State Legislature occupies the entire field of firearms law.    Any county or city ordinances that a given county or city may choose to enact concerning firearms are NULL AND VOID.    Gun laws are SOLELY the province of the State Legislature, and the Federal Government.

CJ

I've been hassled many times about that by FWC, metro-dade, pinecrest, coral gables and south miami cops....I personally don't like satnding on the side of the road for an hour or so while I'm at work, because I have my handgun on me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no wait on long guns in florida EXCEPT for DADE and BROWARD Counties (Miami and Ft. Lauderdale).  You have a 3 day wait there also unless you have a CWP.  I am not sure about the Peoples Republic of Palm Beach.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Hillsborough County also has a 3 day waiting period on Longarms as well as handguns unless you have a CWP
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Dade, Broward, and Hillsborough are violating state law; the wait applies to handguns, not long guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The State of Florida provides good info.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was living in Pinellas there was a 3 day wait on long guns too.. That was only a year and a half ago...

I guess those counties don't really care whether they're violating state law or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, i bought my bushy a year ago at the WPB gun show, 5 day wait cause it was in WPB.  Since im not old enough for a CC and was interested about having a pisol in my car i went to the local pd and the sherriff said it could be kept in the glove box or console  as long as it was out of sight, and the case it had to be in could even be a ziploc bag. Yes, he told me ziploc bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top