PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2002 5:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2002 5:26:43 PM EDT by USNJoe_Retired]
Hey MOD, I need a tac for this topic.

What I want is for you's guys to add to the list of places to shoot in Washington State.

Public ranges, private ranges, public lands, clubs, let's post it here.

Yes, I know that you can to to the wa.gov homepage and look up all of the ranges that are listed, that list is outdated and not every club is listed.

In fact here is the URL for the Washington State range report: (it's in PDF format)
www.wa.gov/wdfw/outreach/hed/shootingranges2002.pdf

Plus this will be a way to post a hands and eyes on recce of the place, rate it with your pros and cons and give info (times, restrictions, webpage, phone numbers).

Whatta think?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:05:45 PM EDT
I'll start, ok.

First is the club I belong to, the North Whidbey Sportsmans Association.
It's located just outside of Oak Harbor.
It has a pistol and rifle range, a trap/skeet range and an archery range.
Rapid fire is ok.
Uncontrolled range except for events.

www.northwhidbeysportsmen.org/

Rifle range picture, 4 lanes, 100 and 200 yards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:11:57 PM EDT
The Whatcom County Plantation Range.
It's part of the Whatcom County Parks System.

Pro:
Very nice facility.

Con:
No rapid fire.
Very limited operating hours.
Must use TMJ ammo for indoor range.

"Plantation Range is available for public shooting of rifles, pistols and shotguns. The Range offers up to 300 yards for high power rifle, indoor pistol and smallbore rifle range to 25 yards, outdoor pistol and smallbore rifle to 100 yards, and a trap range. All ranges are supervised during hours of operation, and a day use fee is collected for the use of the Range."

www.co.whatcom.wa.us/parks/parklist/plantation.htm

Photo of the rifle range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:23:24 PM EDT
Greenes Gun Shop and range.

Located just south of the Deception Pass Bridge and State Park in Island County.
Even though it has an Oak Harbor address it is about 12 miles outside of Oak Harbor.

Greenes Gun Shop
4778 N Monkey Hill Rd
Oak Harbor, WA

360-675-3421

It is a very "homey" range, very restrictive on the shooting rules. It is an uncontrolled range, however, the gun smiths shop window faces the range.
It's a family owned range.
Closed Sunday and Monday, limited hours of operation during the winter months.

25 yard pistol range.
25, 20, 100 and 300 yard rifle range

No webpage is listed, however, Greenes gun shop is home to The Dayton Traister Company, Varner Guns and The Hawken Shop.

www.daytraco.com/
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:30:25 PM EDT
Arlington Recreation Shooting
8620 172nd Street NE,
Arlington
(it's right off Airport Road, head south on Hwy 9 and turn right, it's the first left)

(360) 474-0880

Open daily

All indoor range, 25 yards.
Centerfire rifles allowed.
Rapid fire allowed.

They have a couple of video training stalls.
It has a nice gun shop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:32:31 PM EDT
Sam’s Gun Shop/Range

11714 Airport Road
Everett, Wa

(425) 348-3006

Open daily

Rapid fire is allowed
All indoor 25 yard range
Centerfire rifles allowed
Small shop
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:51:19 PM EDT
There's already a thread about it, but I'll add it here as well for posterity.

Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility

Run by:  Tri-Cities Shooting Association

www.tcsa.info/

P.O Box 785
Richland, Wa 99352
(509) 967-0412

Synopsis:
Several Different Ranges,
  *Public Range with target locations out to 100 yards, steel gongs at 200,250,300,400,500,600 yds.
  *Practical pistol, rifle, and shotgun bays as well as cowboy action.
  *A plinking range is under construction, no idea what that will include.
  *Hi-power 1000Yd range
  *Trap and Skeet range
  *Primitive range (for the muzzleloader types)

Pros: Large diverse facility, something for everyone.  Inexpensive, $4.00 daily for non-members, $25.00 yearly membership fee.  Within 20 minutes of Richland.  As far as I know, rapid fire is allowed.

Cons: Long drive for some people.  Frequent windy conditions.  No spots for paper targets past 100 Yards unless on the Hi-power range.  Limited hours, only open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am to 3pm.

Pictures:

See the "range photos" section of their website.

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 11:28:21 PM EDT by Kaliburz]
www.tcsa.info/index.htm

Tri-Cities Shooting Association
Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility

For more info, check out the website.
Or see the post tittled "Tri-Cities Range".  A member here posted some info (and is a Range Officer there also).
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:53:11 AM EDT
Renton Fish & Game Club

Private club open to the public Wednesday - Sunday

Skeet & sporting clays, archery, 25/50 yds. handgun, 100/200 yds. rifle, cowboy action shooting, CMP.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:08:02 PM EDT
Shelton Rifle  pistol club, Members only, anyone can join. Indoor range near the airport,50ft handgun and rimfire only. Outdoor range near Lake Limerick. 200 yrd. range. For info E-mail me.
Also monthly matches of IPSC
Steve
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:09:22 PM EDT
Okay, how about some informal, non-gun range places to shoot? The big sand pit up in Sultan Basin has been closed, so I need somewhere else to plink. I'll probably have to start doing a little exploring in the Jeep, but the f-ing DNR seems to keep closing old logging roads at an exponential rate.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:28:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomer:
Okay, how about some informal, non-gun range places to shoot? The big sand pit up in Sultan Basin has been closed, so I need somewhere else to plink. I'll probably have to start doing a little exploring in the Jeep, but the f-ing DNR seems to keep closing old logging roads at an exponential rate.

The basin rd is not closed to shooting, you have to go past mile marker 11, you may only shoot on the west side of the road, there are 7 different shooting lanes, if you ever want to go shooting, I go out there all the time ( I live 10 min away)But bring a rake and some trash bags, I NEVER leave the place without some trash, I hate stupid a$$ people who leave the brass, and trash, We cleaned the first 100 yd range this year, pulled out 2 cars and a few hotwater heaters, made it real nice...Im not kidding the next weekend it was worse then the first time around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:04:02 PM EDT
I grew up around Granit Falls. Head up into the woods in the direction of Loop Loop and you can plink all over in the woods.

Have Fun

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 3:11:02 PM EDT
Way up the mountain in Sultan Basin and the gravel pit on Mountain Loop highway east of Granite Falls are my normal spots. And R32 is right on spot about the trash around the shooting spots in Snohomish County. I was picking up trash for awhile, but havent recently due to the sheer volume. I pack mine out and thats it any more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 10:37:47 AM EDT
MZZLBRK,
how long ago did you live in G.F. I lived there for 6 years and was a Volunteer Fire Fighter for 2 1/2 years till  my wife and I relocated.
Take care, RedMan*
Link Posted: 2/24/2003 5:07:17 PM EDT
how about to the east of the mountains, like in wenanchee I hear shots it the woods over there sometimes.

how far up I90 do we gotta go till we can pull over and fire away?

Link Posted: 3/23/2003 2:53:37 PM EDT
used to be able to shoot off exit 37. i think 1gr was up there last week or so and said you could still shoot there/.
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 9:17:32 AM EDT
exit 38.
usually pretty crowded though..
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 1:43:44 PM EDT
Okay, staying on the same topic. Does anyone know of anywhere to shoot in the covington,maple valley, black diamond area? ( or within about 30 minutes thereof ) It used to be there was a sand pit out in ravensdale, but I believe it was closed. I want a place to go plink pop-cans, but all the ranges around are too limiting with what you can and can't do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 2:19:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JeffPhillips:
It used to be there was a sand pit out in ravensdale, but I believe it was closed.

You are unfortunately correct.  Ravensdale is closed.  I live right down the street from the old pit.  They are building houses all around the area.  I go with the guys up in Sultan or down in Chehalis.  Sometimes up I-90.  All the local areas are "NO SHOOTING"

The new gun club will fully functional pretty soon.  They already do police training there and I believe shotgun but the rifle range is not open yet IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 7:51:32 PM EDT
Dang, if you just live right in ravensdale, than I live pretty close to you, I'm right next to cherokee bay. But in any event, I shoot up at renton fish and game club. I used to belong to cascade, but they became quite ridiculous when they started requiring LARGE amounts of hours to be put in, or extra dues, in order to maintain membership, so I got sick of them and bailed for renton. I don't know what the new rifle range will look like, so it may be worth looking, but in any event I just want a place to take my rifles out and shoot popcans up as fast as I want. Renton won't let you rapid fire, nor will they let you have more than 1 round in the gun at a time. Any other ideas where to shoot aside from the clubs? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 7:31:25 AM EDT
Jeffphillips, check your IM.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 8:42:52 AM EDT
just for the record, the pits off 38,
on the left side half way up the hill, the long pit that shoots down the hill, its bad juju, the backstop will NOT hold rounds more powefull than a 22lr. only shoot in pits that are off the right (east) side of the road
STAY CLEAR!
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 7:22:59 AM EDT
In the Kitsap County area there is the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club. Members only, NRA affiliate. They do lots of events, but the range is still available alot of the times.

www.gunsafety.org is their website with calendar and other info. It currently has a 200 yard rifle range and 50 yard pistol range, with several bays off the rifle range for things like ipsc.

bcl
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:04:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT by neon_martini]
I know of a place outside of Black Diamond and Enumclaw.  If anybody wants the location, just email/IM me.  Won't post it up here tho..we jus' call it the shootin' place.

We could use some help keeping it cleaned up and nice.  Tired of finding empty ammo boxes up there.  I know that nobody on this board would do such a thing.  Hell we don't wanna lose anymore of these spots!..
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 12:39:33 PM EDT
anyone shoot in Capitol Forest down here in Olympia?  I've been going with a friend to a gravel pit which seems to be pretty popular, but sometimes kids show up with dirtbikes and want to try and climb the hills.  Just questioning the legalities of shooting there
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 12:50:39 PM EDT
Yea, moving targets are tough! j/k
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:47:42 PM EDT
That is the only place in capital forest where you can shoot.  Do to the dumb asses that leave their crap behind, targets, ammo boxes, bags, bottles, dumped garbage, food packing, TVs, dishwashers, fridges, computers, computer moniters, paints cans and paint, car engines, ect, it may end up being closed then we are SOL in Olympia.  PLEAE IF YOU SHOOT UP THERE HAUL YOUR CRAP OUT BEFORE YOU GET US KICKED OUT!  CHRIST AT LEAST PACK OUT YOUR AMMO BOXES AND CRAP!  I normaly head up there Monday morning to do my shooting, its nice and empty then.  I figure the kids on bikes are idots due to all the glass, scrap metal ect that they are riding over at high speeds.  I normaly just get ready to shoot while they are riding then just stand there, they normaly get the point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:53:34 PM EDT
Anyone want to take part in a Olympia Capital Forest Gravel Pit clean up?  Im in as long as its a week day and i have a small truck.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:42:18 PM EDT
If you're up north, or are willing to travel there, Alger Mt. in Skagit Valley, north of Mt. Vernon, has a variety of spots (I've been to 3 of them so far). One particular locale offers a virtual birds-eye view of nearly all of the Skagit Valley & northern Puget Sound, & is a great place to shoot clays. Other roads led to rock quarries that offer good plinking & some longer-range shooting. Might even be able to set up a small tac environment for drills & such, but I've never done it (yet).

I think it's state gov't-controlled land, used mainly for rock quarrying, logging, & such. I've been told that the rangers will close the roads littering from time-to-time (The above-mentioned site is littered w/ an old, rusting auto hulk).

As always, plese do your part & pick up your junk when your done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2004 7:01:43 PM EDT by 4Jays]
What's the best way to get to Alger mountian from Mt Vernon? Is it the Bow road exit off of I-5?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:47:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By libertynews:
In the Kitsap County area there is the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club. Members only, NRA affiliate. They do lots of events, but the range is still available alot of the times.

www.gunsafety.org is their website with calendar and other info. It currently has a 200 yard rifle range and 50 yard pistol range, with several bays off the rifle range for things like ipsc.

bcl

I second that! I am a member, I go out quite often. It is usually pretty quite!
The rifle range goes out too 220 which isnt to bad. We will very soon be doing a reoreantation of the rifle line so we can eventually go out to 500 then 1000 yards If anyone ever wants to meet out there for some shootin let me know! I am pretty open on the weekends!

AaronP
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 6:10:54 PM EDT
Is Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club still have the so-called action pistol group run by a bunch of druggies?  They did back in the late '80's while I was there.  Their ring leader was a guy by the name of "Big Al" who used to run a gun shop in Sumner.  The lead instructer was a guy named "Bret", he looked like a rat and acted like one.  Several of them had been kicked out of the local ISPC circuit years before due to their unsafe and rude behaviour.

Interesting, I see that the Renton club doesn't list Cascade on their website:

www.rfgc.org/

Renton was much better as was the Kitsap and Kenmore club, especially for IPSC.

I miss the mountains of Washington as well as Boeing Surplus and the surplus stores on Hwy 99 north of the railroad yard, but I don't miss the traffic, the cost of living nor the limpwristed whiney liberals.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/16/2004 10:46:55 PM EDT
I usually shoot down here in Vancouver, at a place called "The English Pit" or at the local hill called Larch Mountain..

I posted how to get there on this site : How To Get To Larch

http://www.jasoncook.us/personal/Larch.jpg

-Jason
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:34:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Alger Mt... has a variety of spots (I've been to 3 of them so far).

I've noticed only a few and actually shot at only one, the gravel pit w/ the car in the recess.  There are some very interesting items people have chosen to shoot up there; someone had a particular fondness for their computer.  And I just can't understand why someone would want to get rid of a perfectly good junk automobile. h.gif

Maybe I'll see ya up there, tall guy (6'5) with blond hair and a carbine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:31:08 PM EDT
There's Wade's Eastside Guns in Bellevue.  They have an indoor 25 yrd range.  Members can shoot rifles, otherwise you're limited to handgun calibers only (in handguns or rifles).  It's an decent range, but the HVAC is getting bad and it can be pretty smokey when the lanes are full.  Rapid fire is allowed if you're hitting the target and they're pretty strick about range safety
All the details can be found at Wades

There is also  Issaquah Sportsmans Club.  No membership is required.  They have a 25 yard and 100 yrd outdoor range that is in pretty good shape.  Bring everything you need because they don't sell anything but targets.  They allow people to handle guns behind the firing line which can get a little scary at times, but other than that it is a great range.  I don't think they have a Web site.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:56:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USNJoe_Retired:

Boy is that name an understatement.

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:20:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

Originally Posted By USNJoe_Retired:

Boy is that name an understatement.

Who's this USNJoe character?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 9:16:24 PM EDT by zx6rryder]
hello,
       just to let everyone know alger mt is now closed.  went there last sunday and there was a nice new sign at the bottom.  CLOSED DUE TO RECKLESS SHOOTING.  last time i was up there I spent at least two hours cleaning up but I didn't even make a dent.  looks like I will be spending more time at the range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:40:33 AM EDT
I don't think anyones mentioned Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club here. Folks near Snoqualmie Valley might want to check out http://www.svrifle.com. They are just down the hill from snoqualmie falls.

One of the advantages that ranges like this have over gravel pits is that they have -rules-. Yep, sorry to sound like a hardass. But there's nothing worse when you're enjoying the great outdoors with a collection of firearms and a cell phone that is happily "no service" then the zinging sound of some idjit shooting with no backstop. Sometimes, rules are -good-. All things in moderation of course.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:02:21 PM EDT
I haven't been up there in a while, but is Greenwater still open (FS road 70 I think).  I am in search of new outdoor places since I moved to Tacoma.  Any good spots around Enumclaw, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:48:41 PM EDT
zx6rryder, you say that you will spend more time at the range.  I live (am new to Mt Vernon), and I would be interested in what range you are refering to.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:54:00 PM EDT
well,
      plantation is 10 min from my house,  and I am looking at joining the custer sportmans club.  They have some fun looking compettions that go on there.  going to go looking for some more loggin roads soon.  There are plenty of hills, just have to find ones that are open and safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:25:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JasonC:
I haven't been up there in a while, but is Greenwater still open (FS road 70 I think).  I am in search of new outdoor places since I moved to Tacoma.  Any good spots around Enumclaw, etc.?

Tacoma huh....

There is a range I go to called "Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club" they have about 600 some odd members and it cost about $180 for a year membership but it's well worth it. They have a 600 yrd range, 50yd pistol range, 75yd 22 range, bow 'n' arrow range, airgun range, shotguns are allowed on the main range which is 200yd. You get a gate card with membership and currently there is no range masters but they are implimenting a volunteer sytem shortly. You have to clean up your brass too. It's a pretty sweet setup all in all. They have the state 3-gun tournaments there. Bathrooms are on site, full facilities. A huge smoker/cooker/bar-b-que is also on site. They are always in need of members since the majority is "older folks" who seem to be passing away faster than new members sign up. The range itself has been around for well over a century. The kicker is...it's surrounded by subdivisions..
If anyone wants to go check it out or has more questions IM me...

www.tacomarifle.org

253-566-1341 --TRRC

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:26:12 AM EDT
Can someone either email or IM me some shooting locations and directions ( gravel pits and such) within reasonable driving distance of Puyallup? I have a new upper I need to break in.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:12:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JasonC:

THAT is the road I was trying to remember! It is FS 70. The last time I went up there was last summer and it was closed due to a shooting fatality with posted no shooting signs everywhere. I talked to the forest service about it at the time and they told me that as long as you were away from the road you could shoot anywhere up there other than the pit. I keep meaning to make a run back up there to see if it has opened back up though. I did drive around quite a bit up there looking for a decent place to shoot but I didn't find much and then the weather turned sour.

I did find a place to dump a few mags but it was not a very good spot. No real range to shoot and it started pouring so I gave up and headed home.

I am going to head up there in a few weeks and just drive around. I too have a new rifle to shoot and the range is not going to cut it with all the hunters sighting in. If I find a place I will make sure to document it and post back to the board.

bosifus
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:00:43 AM EDT
I know if you go up FS72, (spurs of of FS70 right there just past that main pit) all the way on top, there is a pit.  Its waaaay up there and I was shooting there when the Peirce County sherrif showed up.  He didn't say much of anything about it...  I thought I was goin to get busted.  He said as long as I was safe and wasn't shooting in a posted area, he had no problem with it.  I think the key to shooting up there is not to shoot in a posted area.  Those are mostly along that main FS70 road.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:32:24 AM EDT
I used to go up to FS70 and the outskirts quite a bit for offroad activities.  That's a beautiful area in Greenwater.   I just am not sure where we can shoot.  I would love to go shooting there as well.  I'm off Fri/Sats so if anyone is available then,  Maybe we can hook up.

I live near Tacoma also.

- Manuel
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:32:00 AM EDT
seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/157624_csultanshoot22.html

Garbage in shooting area.

People should pick up after themselves.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:17:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Railgun:
seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/157624_csultanshoot22.html

Garbage in shooting area.

People should pick up after themselves.

Railgun....

That's not just a proposal anymore, it's a done deal. No shooting in Sultan Basin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:01:08 AM EDT
I saw some pictures in the Seattle PI Story.

I cannot belive people would leave so much crap behind.

I travel over to Montana to visit friends and I go up into the woods to shoot.
I never shoot cars, microwaves, tv's or anything like that.  
I shoot Watermelons and pumpkins and always clean up my brass.

Why are people so irresponsible?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top