Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 1:13:28 PM EDT
Staying near CONSOL center.

What is the area like here walking around at night? Anything G19 with 15+1 won't handle?

Any good restaurant recommendations?

I really like Thai, Indian, and Japanese.

We do have a rental car so a short drive isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:52:09 PM EDT
Too far one direction and you'll be in the Hill District, which isn't the optimal neighborhood. I dont know much about downtown, but as a general rule of thumb, EVERYTHING closes by 7pm. Best Indian food, as far as i'm concerned, is "Maharajah" on Banksville Road on the other side of the tunnels, which is actually also a "Days Inn" owned by the family. Just plain outstanding food.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:23:50 PM EDT
I can agree with the sitrep situation, try and avoid heading up Center avenue at least at night during the day it is not a big problem as long as you have your eyes open.

As far as food goes as long as you have a car and are not afraid to really LOOK for a parking space I have a few of my favorites that fit your request.

For Japanese I have ONE recommendation it is excellent and it is the best in Pittsburgh albeit a little pricey but I do HIGHLY recommend it

http://www.eatatnakama.com/

For Indian it is a little further than Nakama but not too far with a car and GPS if you have one... A small cavaeat on this one it has been a while since I have been there but the couple times I have been there it was good.

http://www.indiagarden.net/ (turn down your sound)

One of my favorite bar/restaurants in Pittsburgh is Fat Head's they have awesome food (be sure to get the chips) and a million beers...

https://www.fatheads.com/

And of course the cant miss for Pittsburgh and one most people NEVER do when they come here is Primanti's I think they may have a location in or near the convention center but the best one to go to is the original in the Strip

http://www.primantibros.com/

That is a good highlight list but of course there are a good bit more. Pick up a City Paper when you get here for the best listings.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:31:21 PM EDT
Oooh... Don't forget Primanti's for a sandwich...

And the Sharp Edge for a beer (or ten)
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:45:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Vitamin_G:
Oooh... Don't forget Primanti's for a sandwich...

And the Sharp Edge for a beer (or ten)

Fat Head's has close to the Sharp Edge beer selection and better food....
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:52:55 PM EDT
is traffic always horrible downtown? fuuuuucccckkkkk!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:42:29 PM EDT
Yes. Welcome to Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:45:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chokey:

traffic isnt that bad when the NRA isnt in town.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:04:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chokey:

You should be clear if you go on Saturday During the week you have too many morons who have no clue how to drive and they are all in a hurry to get out of town at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:45:27 PM EDT
There is a Primanti's in Market Square, which is about 5-6 (rather long) blocks from the Convention Center. Walk down Penn from Tenth until you get to around Sixth, then it's near Market Square (another 1-2 blocks).

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:53:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stockshift:
There is a Primanti's in Market Square, which is about 5-6 (rather long) blocks from the Convention Center. Walk down Penn from Tenth until you get to around Sixth, then it's near Market Square (another 1-2 blocks).

Just for the fun of it I looked at directions and distances on Google maps and form the convention center to Market Square is .5 mile and from the convention center to the Primanti's in the Strip it is .7 and I would definitely rather go to the original one in the Strip than the one in Market Square.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 7:45:38 PM EDT by OverScoped]

Originally Posted By Fidel:
Staying near CONSOL center.

What is the area like here walking around at night? Anything G19 with 15+1 won't handle?

Any good restaurant recommendations?

I really like Thai, Indian, and Japanese.

We do have a rental car so a short drive isn't a problem.

It was nice meeting you today and chatting about your super nice products.
I was not aware of them and I sure am glad to have overheard the nice things that LaRue had to say about you and Tactical Solutions.
I hope you had a great time in Pittsburgh and found a good resturant too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:51:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JIP:

Originally Posted By stockshift:

Just for the fun of it I looked at directions and distances on Google maps and form the convention center to Market Square is .5 mile and from the convention center to the Primanti's in the Strip it is .7 and I would definitely rather go to the original one in the Strip than the one in Market Square.

Now I feel dumb for walking to Market Square after the show on Saturday.
Top Top