Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll see your and and raise you a

87?

You know, 6 months ago I had a higher post count than you, now you have just about doubled mine, so I figure I HAVE to troll you in order to get mine up there
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
lmao!

You know, AR15.com is the first discussion forum I ever joined or participated in... back in '99 I believe. Had I known this post count thing was gonna pay off so much, I'd have stuck around the whole time!

I have about 10k or more posts scattered across the web now.... is there any way to get them all transferred over here, you know, like a balance transfer on a credit card?

Sorry but that's a no go
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]

If we're gonna do that I should have you all beat. I've been doing the internet thing when all there was was news, mail and gopher.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If we're gonna do that I should have you all beat. I've been doing the internet thing when all there was was news, mail and gopher.

What the heck was gopher?  I only used the internet to meet people in chat rooms...who would have thunk I would have married one of those weirdo's  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the heck was gopher?  I only used the internet to meet people in chat rooms...who would have thunk I would have married one of those weirdo's  

So when does Kooter get to meet the new guy?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
It took me a whole day to put that all together.....I'll wait till during the week (when I'm at work) to get that done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So when does Kooter get to meet the new guy?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]
If we can just get goatboy to archive ONE thread

Thread ID 206996
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lol, that was a time ago.... I remember all those.... yikes.... and all with a 14.4 modem...

I started out with a 300 baud phone coupler. When I bought my Mac Plus I thought I was shit-hot because I could get a 2400 baud modem for it. Mmmmmm...high speed.  

Quoted:

Gopher is/was a retrieval protocol. Kinda like google or yahoo except it would much more actively search for something than "modern" search engines. If you wanted something like a document with the word quantum in the title and the string "wave function" inside the doc it would go out and hit a bunch of servers and databases and retrieve all the docs that matched. It was great. The web and greedy academics killed it pretty much. Here's a couple of links. I have to see if I still have my original "internet" map. It's a one page ascii document of the entire Arpanet. I used to uucp into the MIT server and start rummaging around. People would see you on the machine and "talk" to you. You'd end up "chatting" with everybody from freshmen students to ancient professors. Things were much friendlier in those days. Except of course in news.

Here's a couple of gopher links.

The Wiki, of course
The Gopher Manifesto

How to tell if you a nerd:

1. Your not offended when someone calls you a nerd. In fact, you generally say thank you when addressed this way.
2. You use words like, "digital compression" or "multi-generational tape architecture" in a sentence.
3. Your mouth doesn't feel funny saying  words like "digital compression" or "multi-generational tape architecture".
4. You speed read technical manuals like they were the funny pages.
5. You spend time at family reunions comparing Play Station thumb with all your 8 year old cousins
6. You use the screen name "old_guy" on socom2 online and it really does apply.
7. When somebody asks you how many languages you know it takes you a couple of minutes to realize they  mean spoken languages.
8. You think C++ is pretty slick but real programming means assembly.
9. You know the words splat and dot don't refer to stains or pen marks.
10. You haven't used a real writing instrument in years.
11. You have to use a cell phone to order pizza because both phone lines you have are in use by a modem.
12. You actually have friends on the internet, whom you've never meet, seen or spoken to in real life.
13. You identify most of the things on this list as applying to yourself.

ETA: I actually used the words multi-generation tape architecture in a meetng today. Nobody looked at me funny and most people were nodding their heads when I said. I  just realized I work with a bunch of weirdos.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
lol, that was a time ago.... I remember all those.... yikes.... and all with a 14.4 modem...

Man... 14.4 wasn't around when I started... lol

BBS for teh WIN!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top