Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2005 7:41:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 7:42:58 AM EST by DocBrooks]
So, yesterday (I wasn in Whitehall, PA) and drove by an Army/Navy store. I decided to stop in. I found a pretty sweet shotgun for cheap so I tried to buy it. Although it is perfectly legal for me to buy it the clerks refused b/c "they don't want to keep up with other state laws, it's too much of a hassle and a possible liability". WTF? Last time I checked, LA is on par with some of the most free states around. Also, I've bought an AK47 from another store around here (Defcon 1 on PA 309?). They had no preblem selling to me with my LA license. Anyway, I'm up here in the Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem area until June and I have no firearms with me. I really want something just to go plink with (I have since sold the AK). I want to get a .22 for the time being but I don't know where to buy from. I doubt Defcon 1 will have a .22 (they seem to be mostly tactical). I want a pretty specific version of the Ruger 10/22 so I guess I'd need to get an FFL to not only sell to me but also do the transfer. Anyone recommend a place in my area that will treat my like an American citizen?

PS: Not only would they not sell to me but the guy gave me an annoyed attitude. I've been in there a few times to buy ammo and it seems that they don't respect anyone under 40 who doesn't have a beer gut.

ETA: I've been to two ranges out here. I went to some place called The Firing Line (indoor pistols only) and some club called Water and Wings (I think that's what it was). Are there better places?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:09:08 AM EST
I would suggest you give Dave Donely a call at 215-249-1790. He has a selection of new and used rifles. He is also an honorable guy who treats customers with respect. His shop is located at the intersection of Rts 113 and 313 in Dublin PA. I'd call first however as he is in most afternoons but not all.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:20:08 AM EST
Is that near me at all? I really don't know the area well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:43:11 AM EST
Here you go.....not too far.

Mapquest to Dave Donely's Shop

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:47:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 8:48:58 AM EST by C5Bill]
From Allentown...South on Rt. 309, Left on Rt. 313. go east of apx. 8 miles.
From Easton ...south on rt 611 to rt. 113 turn right head south for Apx. 8 miles. to rt. 313
Dave Donely/ 215-249-1790

miles may not be exact, but close. Gary may know the distance better. Bill
Landmark on corner of 113 & 313 Is Wawa.

PS....... how about Cabella's on rt 78 near Hamburg????
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:52:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By C5Bill:
From Allentown...South on Rt. 309, Left on Rt. 313. go east of apx. 8 miles.
From Easton ...south on rt 611 to rt. 113 turn right head south for Apx. 8 miles. to rt. 313
Dave Donely/ 215-249-1790

miles may not be exact, but close. Gary may know the distance better. Bill
Landmark on corner of 113 & 313 Is Wawa.

PS....... how about Cabella's on rt 78 near Hamburg????

I'm actually going to be going to Cabellas this weekend to pick up some camo. I've never been, I'm assuming they sell rifles/shotguns? I'll let you know what it's like. Thanks for the info guys. This forum has been the most useful god damn thing I've ever come across on the net. You bastards kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:19:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 9:20:08 AM EST by LastDefender]
Doc,

Happy to help. Cabella's will have a much bigger firearm selection than any local dealer. I try when I can to do business with the smaller dealers. In the event I need personal serivce I know who I can go too. Dave has helped me out more times than I can count doing serivice on my rifles. He has forgotten more about the AR platform than I will ever know.

With that said, you will have a field day at Cabella's. If you have children, you should take them. My kids love that store. Plan on spending several hours.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:21:44 AM EST
Oh...I just re-read you post regarding the beer gut and being over 40. I may have to visit that Army/Navy store....they'd like me fine

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:42:51 AM EST
Hey Doc, while you're in town, we shoot at Water and Wings every Sunday morning, you should come out and make some noise with us PA guys!! I know I'll be there this Sunday.
Jay
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:59:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:47:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By CT_AR:
Hey Doc, while you're in town, we shoot at Water and Wings every Sunday morning, you should come out and make some noise with us PA guys!! I know I'll be there this Sunday.
Jay

I'd love to this Sunday but I have to do something down in Phill on Saturday and I'll be spending the night down there. If yall are going again next weekend I'm definately in, just let me know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:39:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:01:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By slidestop:
Yeah come out and shoot with us bastards . We have fun and whats one more crazy bastard .

Says the man who comes out once every 6 months!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:27:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:40:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By slidestop:

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:

Originally Posted By CT_AR:
Jay

I'd love to this Sunday but I have to do something down in Phill on Saturday and I'll be spending the night down there. If yall are going again next weekend I'm definately in, just let me know.

Just keep an eye out for a Sunday shooting topic . Usually there's a new one every week .

Well, I will warn you guys. All I have to bring to the table is a stock Ruger 10/22. All my other stuff is back in Louisiana. My cache isn't really big there anyway. Also, and get ready for this, I have yet to hold much less fire an Ar15. I know, I know. Sad, Sad, Sad. I really want to meet up and blast with you guys while I'm up here, so I'll try and see when yall are going. I'll be here until about May so that gives me some time. If there is any upcoming weekend (other than this weekend) that a bunch of yall are going, give me the heads up. Oh, and I did end up going to that Cabelas in Hamburg. I nearly shit myself when I saw it (There aint nothing like that in LA). The place was friggin huge. Biggest selection of handguns and long guns I've seen. Sadly, only a few evil looking things. I ended up walking out with the previously mentioned 10/22, a shooting rest, scope. rifle bag, camo, and a sling for the 10/22 which I later found out has no swivel studs . Also bought some camo for duck season down in LA. Anyway, I'll try to remember to check in here but if something big is going on please IM me or something.

When I went to that Water & Wings place (I think 3 or 4 times) I liked it. Not crowded, and no one watching over you and getting in your business. I did have somewhat interesting experience there once (concerning a cease fire) but that's a long story. Lets just say, someone didn't see the cease fire sign.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:02:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2005 9:02:47 AM EST by LastDefender]

When I went to that Water & Wings place (I think 3 or 4 times) I liked it. Not crowded, and no one watching over you and getting in your business. I did have somewhat interesting experience there once (concerning a cease fire) but that's a long story. Lets just say, someone didn't see the cease fire sign.

Oh...don't sweat that...it was probably ole blind Ray. He's our range safety officer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:55:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By LastDefender:

Oh...don't sweat that...it was probably ole blind Ray. He's our range safety officer.

Spoken like a man who wants to pay and then get booted prior to putting his first round down range.

Top Top