Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2005 9:37:00 AM EDT
Hi guys, I'm searching for legal proof that It would be legal for me to purchase a handgun from a private seller in FL. I called the ATF and they were not able to help me out, apparently since they are federal. Anybody have any info on this?

Thanks,

Dan.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:13:41 AM EDT
I just spoke with the Police Department here in Fort Lauderdale Tel: (954)828-5700 and they told me that for example my mother could purchase it for me and I could use it and transport it in the car locked, etc etc. I cannot carry it concealed obviously though. But everything else is just like a long firearm (3 step rule).
Thats good news.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:33:24 AM EDT
I take it you're at least 18?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:37:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:
I take it you're at least 18?

Yeah...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:02:52 PM EDT
Go to www.flsenate.gov and research Chapter 790 on weapons. It describes any aspect you need to know about owning a firearm in Florida.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:50:48 PM EDT
ok your are not allowed to OWN a handgun if you are under 21, but you are allowed to POSSES it, pretty much treat it like a long gun
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 7:50:08 PM EDT by repub18]
also, buy John Gutmacher's book titled Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership. It will tell you anything you need to know about firearms in FL. He is a attorney here in Central FL BTW.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:50:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeyA:
ok your are not allowed to OWN a handgun if you are under 21, but you are allowed to POSSES it, pretty much treat it like a long gun

??? Where did you get that from?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:03:20 PM EDT
Im 18, i bought a handgun 4 days ago! Private sale of course. Perfectly legal to own, and buy if its not from a dealer, and not bought by the guy to sell to you(straw purchase)

www.bradycampaign.org/facts/issues/?page=juvposs

there is a link giving u all the info you'll need. I just bought a Taurus PT-99 monday. Its nice, i really like it. Cant wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:02:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1BMF:
Im 18, i bought a handgun 4 days ago! Private sale of course. Perfectly legal to own, and buy if its not from a dealer, and not bought by the guy to sell to you(straw purchase)

www.bradycampaign.org/facts/issues/?page=juvposs

there is a link giving u all the info you'll need. I just bought a Taurus PT-99 monday. Its nice, i really like it. Cant wait to shoot it.

Thanks for the link, its very useful.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:04:23 PM EDT
LOL Hell of a place to get that info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:23:16 PM EDT
Haha, i know. I asked for help finding the information to buy a handgun at 18-21 in the GD and thats what someone said to look at. I found that link on there sight and use it against them. The irony is hilarious. I hate the brady people, but in this case I/You can use it against them.

Goodluck, what handgun did you want to get?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:49:33 PM EDT

Haha, i know. I asked for help finding the information to buy a handgun at 18-21 in the GD and thats what someone said to look at. I found that link on there sight and use it against them. The irony is hilarious. I hate the brady people, but in this case I/You can use it against them.

Goodluck, what handgun did you want to get?

I'm looking to buy a glock 19/17 or a Beretta 92. I want something in 9mm to shoot a lot for cheap... I was looking at those used Beretta 92D's for $270 that are being sold. Also glock 17's for $329... Both handguns in VG+ conditon. I'm trying to decide if a G17 will fit my hand good since I don't have the biggest hands.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:05:14 PM EDT
I got a Taurus PT-99. I really like it. Im gonna shoot it next week, after my summer coarses finish up for the summer here in Orlando. It big so i can control it, but not soo big that i cant keep a good grip on it. Fit me good, and it felt solid so i bought it. Plus i can get 30rd mags for it heh.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:40:01 AM EDT

I got a Taurus PT-99. I really like it. Im gonna shoot it next week, after my summer coarses finish up for the summer here in Orlando. It big so i can control it, but not soo big that i cant keep a good grip on it. Fit me good, and it felt solid so i bought it. Plus i can get 30rd mags for it heh.

Very cool, I'm narrowing my search to a G17 rebuild. They are rightly priced and come with 3 17 rounders. You can also get 30 rounders or so for them .
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:09:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Robotizing:
I just spoke with the Police Department here in Fort Lauderdale Tel: (954)828-5700 and they told me that for example my mother could purchase it for me and I could use it and transport it in the car locked, etc etc. I cannot carry it concealed obviously though. But everything else is just like a long firearm (3 step rule).
Thats good news.

Not to divert this thread but there is NO 3 step rule in the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:11:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Not to divert this thread but there is NO 3 step rule in the State of Florida.

Oh, good to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:53:57 PM EDT
What is the rule?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:05:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Regnar33:
What is the rule?

Handguns in your vehicle must be concealed, securely encased and not readily available for immediate use and out of your immediate manual control(not on your person)

You can put it in your glove box, inside your center console(w/ lid) or in a snap(thumbreak or velcro closed) holster

Long Arms can be in a rack, on the floor, or in the back seat (or passengar side in trucks) IIRC and not necessarily concealed

Thats the basics
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:46:30 AM EDT
Remove the hotlinks guys....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:20:53 AM EDT by Progunvoter]

Hi guys, I'm searching for legal proof that It would be legal for me to purchase a handgun from a private seller in FL. I called the ATF and they were not able to help me out, apparently since they are federal. Anybody have any info on this?

Here ya go, the COLD link to Florida gun laws http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2004&Title=%2D%3E2004%2D%3EChapter%20790

Now, just my two cents worth ok, so don't get all worked up. Handguns are VERY dangerous because they are SO darn easy to carry and use. If you have ever had a hot temper, think twice about owning one. Lot's of folks love em, not me. They are just a little bit TOO easy to use. Think real hard before owning one. OK?

Now, you probably already ignored that comment so now, Think TWICE as hard before actually keeping one in the car with you. Talk to your mom and or dad about it first - it can't hurt. Best regards.
P.S. some guys think handguns are macho. you're 18? Don't fall into that trap, That's for gang bangers and guys with limited possibilities. I'm sure youre a lot smarter than that but just be aware, the trap is there. Ok my friend? Regards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:56:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 11:01:25 AM EDT by repub18]

Originally Posted By Progunvoter:

Here ya go, the COLD link to Florida gun laws http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2004&Title=%2D%3E2004%2D%3EChapter%20790

Now, just my two cents worth ok, so don't get all worked up. Handguns are VERY dangerous because they are SO darn easy to carry and use. If you have ever had a hot temper, think twice about owning one. Lot's of folks love em, not me. They are just a little bit TOO easy to use. Think real hard before owning one. OK?

Now, you probably already ignored that comment so now, Think TWICE as hard before actually keeping one in the car with you. Talk to your mom and or dad about it first - it can't hurt. Best regards.
P.S. some guys think handguns are macho. you're 18? Don't fall into that trap, That's for gang bangers and guys with limited possibilities. I'm sure youre a lot smarter than that but just be aware, the trap is there. Ok my friend? Regards.

You own an AR15 and you are worried about a handgun.

How old are you?
Top Top