Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2003 10:49:26 AM EDT
{Reposted here instead of in the general discussion area}
Well my job is finally sending me to N.Y. after much delay.
I'm going to be in Owego from July 20th (evening) until July 25th.
What is there, what to do?
I don't have a map handy how far is Remington's factory (in Ilion) from there and how would I get a tour (if its nearby)?
Your suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advanced
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see. Oswego...college town known for lot's of bars. Lake Ontario/Salmon River if you like fishing.

Remington is located in Ilion, NY. Less than 2 hours from Oswego. Take 481S to the NYS thruway. Preceed east to Ilion exit. Can't miss the Remington factory. Call for the tour and musuem hours. Go to their website for contact info. Worth the trip!

Let's see. Ithaca Gun is in King Ferry, NY. Dan Wesson Firearms in in Norwich, NY. Both are within a couple hours of Oswego.

If you like wine, visit the FingerLakes region. MANY vineyards/wine tours. Head out to Seneca/Keuka Lake. One of the prettiest areas in CNY. The Adirondacks are also with 3+ hours drive. Lake Placid area is touristy, but scenic. High Peaks are beautiful.

Enjoy! Many beautiful areas to see. A couple board members are local to Oswego...
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You did say OWEGO - right?

tourist info--
www.roundthebend.com/towns/Owego.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, do you mean Oswego or Owego?

If you mean Oswego.

Ther is tons of stuff down in the finger lakes. Watkins Glenn for one is very fun.

Going toward Ilion you could even visit Ft. Stanwicks. Outside of Rome.

There are a couple of gun shops around here but I guess its better than what you would see in CA.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Owego(!) OK, I'm an idiot Disregard my post concerning directions...doh.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Owego(!) OK, I'm an idiot Disregard my post concerning directions...doh.

LOL...its o.k.

At first my job had it confused a few weeks ago and said Oswego but it is ACTUALLY Owego.

I leave Sunday morning 5:30am PST.

I'll be at the Holiday Inn there just ask for Mark Lewis if anyone should call, etc...
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a "lawnguylander" but spent the night in Owego 3 years ago to inspect an army reserve unit in Penn Yann (as in high quality boats.)
Do you fish?  There are huge lakes in the area, non-resident fishing license shouldn't be too expensive if you are into it.  Since the reserves kept me from going cold turkey with shooting, guns etc., I wasn't actually looking around for gun shops etc, but there's just gotta be stuff like that as well.  Call the Holiday Inn back and ask for a manager, or call the US Army Reserve engineer company (I think it may be the 773rd- sorry been retired over 2 years) in Penn Yann and ask for an outdoorsy type from the area.  I just spend 4 days in Boyers PA with my regular job- didn't see much but it looked like good hunting country.  (Road kill was larger and higher quality)
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Not much to do in Owego unfortunately.  The only thing really worth mentioning is the small movie theater downtown that actually has a really kick ass and modern THX certified sound system.  

Not much for gunshops in Owego either, there is one downtown but you'd be luck to find more than 5 long guns.  If this is what you are looking for then McLain's gunshop in the Endicott area is the best you are going to do.  They might have an AR or AK or two and maybe 20 - 30 handguns.  Nothing spectacular.  

From Owego your are only 20 min. from Endicott and 25 from Binghamton.  Binghamton is a small city but at least you can find some better resturants and entertainment there.  

But if there is one must do while you are in the Southern Tier, it is to have a speedie.  The speedie is our local treat consisting of marinated chunks of meat grilled and available dozens of ways in sandwiches, in salads, or even on pizza.  While you can find speedies in Owego you'd be better off getting one in the Endicott area at a place called Lupos or Speedie and rib pit.

www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm

www.spiedies.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top