Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/27/2010 7:15:08 AM EDT
I was wondering if there was any other way for someone who is over 18, but under 21 to legally acquire a handgun other than through a parent or grandparent? A friend wants one, but it might not be feasible to go through a parent or grandparent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:09:56 PM EDT
I believe that would be a negative.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:48:27 PM EDT
nope.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 11:31:25 AM EDT by kcr121]
Both of the above replies are wrong.

Yes, in fact, you can legally purchase a handgun if you're over 18 but under 21 in Pennsylvania. You just can't purchase one from a dealer (FFL).

At 18, you can legally purchase a handgun from a private party in Pennsylvania, and the transfer can be done by a county sheriff. The trouble is that it will be difficult for you to find a county sheriff who will be willing to transfer a handgun for you if you're under 21.

If I wasn't feeling lazy right now, I'd dig up the statutes that prove you can. Here's a thread at PAFOA discussing the same situation; if you poke around there, you'll see that there are probably dozens of threads on the same topic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:05:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kcr121:

Yes, in fact, you can legally purchase a handgun if you're over 18 but under 21 in Pennsylvania. You just can't purchase one from a dealer (FFL).

At 18, you can legally purchase a handgun from a private party in Pennsylvania, and the transfer can be done by a county sheriff. The trouble is that it will be difficult for you to find a county sheriff who will be willing to transfer a handgun for you if you're under 21.

If I wasn't feeling lazy right now, I'd dig up the statutes that prove you can. Here's a thread at PAFOA discussing the same situation; if you poke around there, you'll see that there are probably dozens of threads on the same topic.

Did you read the OP?

Because if you did your reply literally does not help at all.

Just an FYI to the OP, regardless of what anyone tells you - the best (and only way you won't get charged otherwise) way to get a firearm legally under 21yrs of age is to have your parent, grand parent, or legal guardian gift it to you (no paperwork). The whole point behind this is to have someone WHO IS LEGALLY allowed to buy a handgun have some sort of responsibility - that is very reasonable.

Wait until your 21, or have your parent/etc buy the gun and only use it when in their presence - at a range, etc....

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:51:34 PM EDT
It is legal for a person that is 18 yoa to buy a handgun from a private person. As already stated, the sheriff can do the transfer, but good luck finding one to do it. The reason??? Like many people, they think you have to be 21 yoa to buy the handgun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:38:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pam202a:
Originally Posted By kcr121:

Did you read the OP?

Because if you did your reply literally does not help at all.

Just an FYI to the OP, regardless of what anyone tells you - the best (and only way you won't get charged otherwise) way to get a firearm legally under 21yrs of age is to have your parent, grand parent, or legal guardian gift it to you (no paperwork). The whole point behind this is to have someone WHO IS LEGALLY allowed to buy a handgun have some sort of responsibility - that is very reasonable.

Wait until your 21, or have your parent/etc buy the gun and only use it when in their presence - at a range, etc....

Again - I don't know where you get your information from, but you are wrong. And yes, I did read the OP.

You can legally buy a handgun at 18 years old from a private party in Pennsylvania. Which part was unclear to you?

Don't take my word for it; read the laws for yourself. Save the attitude for when you actually know what you're talking about.
Top Top