Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2011 4:51:14 PM EDT
My father is cleaning out his safe and he wants to send a .45 my way as a gift.  I live in PA.  He lives in WI.  We don't see one another nearly often enough.  PA allows FTF for in-state transactions.  However,with us being residents of different states, that rule doesn't apply.  What are the rules for a firearm gift from out of state parents?

This will likely be the first of several, so I want to do this the best and cheapest way possible, while remaining completely legal.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:18:09 AM EDT
A firearm has to go through a FFL.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:28:12 AM EDT
A firearm has to go through a FFL.


Just have him send it via ups next day to an ffl near you.  FFL will do a transfer to you.  Call around, and see what shop has the best price for receiving and transferring.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:13:55 PM EDT
I suspected that was the case.  I have a few local FFLs that see a fair amount of my money.  When my folks come to town in a couple months, I'll just have him bring it to do the transfer in person.  There's no rush to do this immediately (health or otherwise), so it can wait until that time.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:19:42 PM EDT
Within PA a father-to-son gift does not need to go through an FFL.  Not really sure if the father is an out of state resident though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top