Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 6:07:04 PM EDT
I knew it would come along eventually, Hoped it would be later than sooner.
I have been trying to get back to TX for 3 years and finally got a job to bring me to the DFW area
But this gig ends in January. There gos the fun money.

Anyone working in the Aircraft or Defense industry? (Design/Engineering)
DFW has been getting hit hard with layoffs in that area.

I will probably have to find work outside of TX again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how much it helps Lockheed, but I saw the news that Norway is buying some F35's. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of engineer?  I'm an engineer and may be able to help.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What kind of engineer?  I'm an engineer and may be able to help.

IM sent
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You can look through here. Working for the government has some advantages like job security. Some of these jobs even pay pretty decent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Send me an IM, I work for L-3 Integrated Systems in Waco and we have a metric shit ton of jobs available here. We currently have several large Defense projects going on with plenty of work for everyone.
If the Waco area isn't for you, our Greeneville facility is also hiring.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Send me an IM, I work for L-3 Integrated Systems in Waco and we have a metric shit ton of jobs available here. We currently have several large Defense projects going on with plenty of work for everyone.

amen.  my brother-in-law works at the greenville facility and is always complaing about mandatory over time.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
You are a little late to get on the enginering side of the F-35. they are starting to hire assemblers and that sort and and scale down the engeinering side. but it would be worth trying they are always hireing for something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Vought Aircraft Inc in Grand Prarrie is hiring assemblers like crazy, as far the engineering side maybe not so much but wouldnt hurt to check we got a lot of work cranking up right now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately the defense sector almost always takes a crap when a Democrat goes into office.  During 90's when Clinton was in office my company scaled back much of the defense sector as our aviation & facilities group lost several contracts with heavy hitters in the aviation industry due to budget scale backs.  We still had contracts with the government but they switched focused largely to US domestic infrastructure.

Not saying your screwed for the defense industry, but there will be cutbacks in certain areas and it might be worth looking in different areas of CAD design.  

FWIW, the oil and gas sector has been in huge need of piping designers.  Its somewhat of a special field but if you learn it you can makes tons of money, far more then any other CADD designer.  I don't know if the recent drop in crude has effected the demand, but a lot of the designers work on piping to field exploration and pumping sites.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I have too much time invested on the CAD/Design/Engineering side to be doing anything else.
As much as I love TX I would work out of state on a good contract before doing anything else for less money to stay in TX. Not looking forward to the left coast.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's what I was going to suggest.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Look into randolph, AFB in San Antonio.  I know they are looking.  Seems that overseas contractors are peeling the employ away with more money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top