Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 7:33:47 PM EDT
I was shooting at the MDC range at Busiek SF and saw a brochure concerning this club.  Apparently they shoot CMP matches over at the Andy Dalton range in Bois d'Arc.  Anyone here heard of them?

On a related note, when is the next CMP match at the Benchrest Club in Billings?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Guys,

The next Osage Orange Match is coming up this weekend..

Place:  Andy Dalton Range Complex, Bois d'Arc MO
Date:  Saturday, June 28th
Time:  8:00 AM

Full details at the Osage Orange website:

www.swampworks.com/OsageOrange.html

Best regards,
Steve M   aka Swampy

www.swampworks.com/OsageOrange.html

Rick
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
i thought as in shooting Osage Oranges out of trees.  (they are not good for anything else)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Osage orange is good for making longbows... and you can always use the "apples" as targets.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Osage orange is good for making longbows... and you can always use the "apples" as targets.

Which is how these gentlemen probably got the name for their club.   The range they shoot at is in a town called Bois d'Arc, which is french for Wood of the Bow which is one of the names for hedge trees (which is yet another name for Osage Orange).  

The tree originally came from the Oklahoma panhandle area but it was considered so valuable for making bows by the indiginous peoples of this region that it was introduced throughout the trade routes of the indians.

The tree also makes excellent fenceposts due to its natural ability to resist rot (raw osage orange posts are in my parent's farmhouse's walls--over 100 years old and still sound as the day they were put in there).
They also make superb living fencerows.  When planted few feet from each other, in a few years they make a hedgerow that is "hog-tight, horse-high and bull-strong."
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
But I digress!  
How long does a match last?  The next one begins at 0800 and I have to be at work (forty minutes away from the match) at 1230.  Is this a sufficient window to allow me  to participate in the match and enjoy some post-match "afterglow" time?

Thanks, rick for the info--I shall check into it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
llanero, you must be a true Ozarker:) Not many folks know the legend of the Osage Orange, i.e. Hedge-apple tree. Can't help you on length of the matches, since my schedule is usually in conflict with the shoots and I haven't been able to go to any of them. You might email Swampy and inquire. PM me a phone number and I'll send you mine and maybe we can meet down at Busiek one of these days. I'd like to get up to Columbia and shoot with those guys, but dang just too much to do, it seems.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting apples, hmmm, sounds fun...

We expect you to be here for the 5th of July shoot cz75fan...

Since Kpel308 might not be there, we'll need you to fill his spot in the group shot!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a member when I lived in Springfield. I shot at a few of their matches, and all the guys were very nice, and easy to get along with. Safety was stressed, and it was a lot of fun.

It's cheap to join, and they're a fun group.

I'd still be a member, but I live in KC now.

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top