Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 4:26:02 PM EDT
I got this off the NRA's website. Do the police keep the record of sale (de facto registration?)

"All dealers, pawnbrokers or otherwise must keep a record of every handgun sold. This record shall contain the time, date and place of the sale or trade, the name of the salesperson making the sale or trade, the make, model and manufacturer`s number on the handgun. The purchaser must sign his name and affix his address to the register. Thumbprints are taken. The purchaser must present clear evidence of his identity.

A copy of the record must be mailed to the local police and state police on the day of the sale for a record check.

A gun dealer shall request by telephone that the Dept. of State Police conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser. The Dept. of State Police shall immediately or by return call determine whether the purchaser is qualified to complete the purchase. The fee for the criminal history record check may not exceed $10. The handgun must be unloaded when delivered."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
All true, but I've never heard about the part about mailing the application.  As far as I know it's all done over the phone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the mailing is not done anymore due to the phone call.

But yes, it is de facto dealer gun registration.

Now, if you do a Face to Face transaction, say I buy WS4LIF's rifle, no record needs to be maintained as he's not a dealer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Now, if you do a Face to Face transaction, say I buy WS4LIF's rifle, no record needs to be maintained as he's not a dealer.

Also, a background check is not necessary during a private face to face, but can be done.  There is a 1-800 number a private party can call to have a free quick background check done on someone when selling a gun privately.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Any ideas on the buyers side?  I remember purchasing two M-11's (only other buy I ended up regretting, the other being my UZI...) and after the purchase wanting to make sure that they were never used in any crimes and in danger of being confiscated.  I talked with an officer and he said I could just call the department and have them run the serial numbers but sadly enough I still haven't gotten around to it.  Is calling a local law enforcement probably the best way, or is there a different number non-dealers can call?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That kinda falls under why bother......if you've allready bought and paid for them, what happens if you run the #'s and they do end up being stolen/and or something bad......you've just lost all that money. Ignorance is bliss......Now, I'm not condoning buying stolen merchandise, but if there's ANY doubt, take care of it BEFORE you buy.......just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said yes its the law :(

*Edited by request*

That being said I havent had it take more than 15 minutes from start to end to get a pistol from a dealer.  (do shop around, some places charge ALOT more for simple things like background checks and paperwork, I think I paid 15 total for the background check and paperwork)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

....Slanderios comment removed by RES.....
That being said I havent had it take more than 15 minutes from start to end to get a pistol from a dealer.  (do shop around, some places charge ALOT more for simple things like background checks and paperwork, I think I paid 15 total for the background check and paperwork)

Post count=3. This is a joke, right? Saying something like that could get that guy in trouble, especialy naming a store like that. The fired shell is only in the case because of the very few states that require it, 2 if I remember right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, a background check is not necessary during a private face to face, but can be done.  There is a 1-800 number a private party can call to have a free quick background check done on someone when selling a gun privately.

Whats the number?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now...... Sportsmans warehouse on 82nd in portland has TWICE forgot to take the fired shell casings out of my handgun purchase.  

But fairly certain they are supposed to grab the spent casings out to help ID weapons used in crimes or something?  Either way kind of nice (old guy with a blue hat and sometimes glasses) that the guy doesnt register your barrel rifling.

Those spent casings are not necessary in Oregon.  Only Maryland, and I believe NY use them.  I just throw them out.  as for the BG check thing, I would remove that from your post.  I like the Sportsmans Warehouse.  I don't want them out of business.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
No I didnt join the site with the intention of reading the boards for months, signing up and making dumb posts :P  Thought it related to the subject somewhat so just gave my story.

Only reason I believed the shells were required is they have taken them  (or atleast one of the two) from every gun ive purchased in the last 5 or so years.

With the background check thing I explained it in great detail, read the last post and deleted it!

Gun was a U22 Neos (which I wish I had never bought and have already sold thank god)

*please re-edit your posts to remove my comments :)  had no clue there could be so much trouble from it*

I like the Sportsmans Warehouse too :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Only reason I believed the shells were required is they have taken them  (or atleast one of the two) from every gun ive purchased in the last 5 or so years.

:)

He probably took them so he can throw them down at the scene the next time he wacks somebody!

I am joking of course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
503-378-3070 (Can't find the 1-800 number)

That number will also let you check to see if a firearm has been stolen.

Measure 5 passed 5 years ago.  Which states that the OSP will make available background checks to private parties for firearms transfers on a voluntary basis (people can do it voluntarily).

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Measure 5 passed 5 years ago.  Which states that the OSP will make available background checks to private parties for firearms transfers on a voluntary basis (people can do it voluntarily).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is there any reason I can't use that # to check for other reasons, like prospective tenants, or employs?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never used it.  But I believe that numbers gets you to the firearms division.

And, I believe it requires the party you are checking on to get on the phone with them.  It could very well get abused, but they try to do it as secure as possible.  I think all they do is give you a yes or no, and not any other reasoning like "that guy has a felony conviction".  I think they just say whether he passes or not.  And even if he doesn't pass, it still isn't illegal for you to sell to him.  But, if you were checking, then I guess you were willing to accept their answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top