Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2002 4:05:57 AM EDT
What say we organize one?? I could prolly find a place in Coos County. I've got 3.5 acres in a nice location with good camping spots.
Thoughts??
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Sound good to me! That and Florence is just up the street! MMMMMM Dunes!!

Hey maby it might have a better turnout than mine and Steath's Southern Oregon Freedom Shoot?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm up here in Tigard so it's quite a ways for me.  If we could get some exotic or class III weapons, I could be coerced into attending.

Spambo
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Are more members north or south?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good to me!  Sorry, I have nothing exotic to bring...  I am traveling a lot for work lately, but I'll do my best to make it.  I am in Hillsboro.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I can prolly rustle up some class III stuff from guys here in the county, I also have a .50 rifle, so where ever it is, at least 600 yards would be nice. I don't mind traveling for a 2-3 day shoot. Keep in mind, the coast has plenty to do for wives/kids if they're not into shooting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in Coos Bay for the first time in awhile a few months ago.

We put my great-grandfather to rest there, the old man was 96.

Most of that side of the family is located in coos bay.

One of them was the police chief there, and one works for the fire dept.

Whenever I think we need the timber industry back in full swing, I think of Coos Bay.

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I should be there as well (depending on the date).  I need to get out of the house more anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a SO shooter. I'm up for anything in SO. I go out to the White City Range quite a lot. Although weather has been putting that on hold
:(

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Since I'm in Hillsboro it's a 4-5 hr drive.Not too bad but work really long hours and is hard to get time away. On the other hand,have 8 weeks vacation time coming and a motorhome I have'nt used in over a year. Guess it depends when it's planned.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Portland area here but as was said before if time permits I will be there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi Liberty86!  Do you have any idea as to what time of year you'd be able to do something like this?  It's your property so you'd be the honcho at organizing this one.  I'd help where I could and so would almost everyone here I believe.

I think it'd be great to get together with other Oregon ARFcom shooters for a day or two.  One day would be fine, two would be gravy.

Heck, just getting together at a range somewhere for a couple hours would be cool with me.  I'd take a long weekend and make a camping, shooting, roadtrip out of it.

I plan on actually spending the money and joining up with Tri-County Gun Club early next year.  That way I could invite several of us at a time to shoot, and at the same time meet other Portland area shooters.  (even if they are a bunch of beamer driving yuppies - they have a 600 yard range )

Lets not drop this one.  It'd be a great time I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I should think some time in late May would be good for weather and planning reasons. We need to decide where to have it. If everyone is in agreement on the coast, I'll start sniffing around. We would make it a weekend affair. I have plenty of room for r/v's and tents for camping.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Stealth,inviting several people at a time is'nt possible at Tri-County. You are limited to bringing 2 guests. Believe that the 600 yd range is only open for matches. You should join. Nice place. I've been a member for several years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Stealth,inviting several people at a time is'nt possible at Tri-County. You are limited to bringing 2 guests. Believe that the 600 yd range is only open for matches. You should join. Nice place. I've been a member for several years.

I was under the impression I could bring up to six guests.  Darn it!  

If the 600 yard range is only open for matches then I'll probably not join.  I'm trying to figure out how one practices for these matches without the range.  Having a nice range with that much distance 35 minutes away was probably the main reason I would join.  From what I've seen they have VERY nice grounds and ranges.  It's just that the price is a little steep for a poor unemployed house daddy like me.

I'm going to shoot them an E-Mail tomorrow to find out the particulars.  When I showed up at Tri-County to check it out, nobody was shooting at the 600 yard range (I went in).  I should've asked my questions then.  Oops.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Count me in!  No class III, but I can bump fire a 30rd mag outa my M4gery (does that count?)

I live in Medford, but frequently travel to the coast (Brookings to Coos Bay) for work.  Was over there last weekend in that nasty weather, next time I'm bringin' a friggin wet suit and a snorkel for my work truck.

I'll bring the Rosie O'dipshit doll for the 600yd .50 shot.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm up for it! (work permitting-working's a lousy way to earn a living)-would love to face-to-face some members AND do some shooting too.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Found my copy of Tri-County rules. Says you can bring 3 guests. Also says that except for designated matches the 500/600 yd range is closed. Of course this copy is several years old but don't think anything has changed. If you can come up with the bucks is well worth it. Nice,well run place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Liberty86:
Will you need shooting benches? I could loan out a few for the shoot. We have these real nice adjustable varmint shooting benches we make. So if some are needed let me know how many. 5-10? Steel plate targets? Ya need thoses too? Up to 1" thick.    
If you want armor plate some one will need to take up a collection I can get it at cost. All other steel I can get donated. I have a access to a plasma cutter so any shape is possable. Let me know.

Stealth and I will volinteer for brass clean up!

Ok who can pick up the tannerite!!

Stealth you have a cute older sister! You want to hook me up?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Liberty86:
Will you need shooting benches? I could loan out a few for the shoot. We have these real nice adjustable varmint shooting benches we make. So if some are needed let me know how many. 5-10? Steel plate targets? Ya need thoses too? Up to 1" thick.    
If you want armor plate some one will need to take up a collection I can get it at cost. All other steel I can get donated. I have a access to a plasma cutter so any shape is possable. Let me know.

Stealth and I will volinteer for brass clean up!

Ok who can pick up the tannerite!!

Fat, how 'bout e-mailing me your day phone#?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey Fat_McNasty,
Just curious about the shooting benches that you mentioned, How much are they going for? I am looking to add a shooting bench to the ton of sh%t that I have to take out to the wood to go plinking.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

She's already married to some crazy gun-nut.  I wouldn't mess with him if I were you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Fat, how much do you charge for transfers? I think thats what I mean. Will be my first firearm purchase and I was thinking about getting a stripped RRA lower from Pete in NH.

Thanks, -Mike
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#23]
MrMaeda: Check your IM.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd love to join you all, but I'd need a ride.  You see, I have no car.  I live in Corvallis (OSU student).

Of course, I'd have to bring a few friends (people, not guns) with me, too.  And we'd all bring guns .... mmmm, guns ...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'd love to join you all, but I'd need a ride.  You see, I have no car.  I live in Corvallis (OSU student).

Of course, I'd have to bring a few friends (people, not guns) with me, too.  And we'd all bring guns .... mmmm, guns ...

If we can organize a shoot, we'll make sure you get there......
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Liberty86: Did you get my #?? I spoke with my dad (co-owner). Sounded like hes up to going. So R&R Gunworks will be present. We can work the range if needed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
How about we field an AR15.com squad at an upcoming Practical Rifle match at the Tri County Gun club (Just south of Portland)?

www.tcgc.org/practical_rifle.htm

Matches are held on the second Saturday of almost every month and begin at 0900 hours. If you would like to help set-up, be there at 0800. Otherwise, expect to help with the tear-down at the end of the match, usually around 1400 hours, depending on how many shooters show up. The match fee is currently $10, which goes towards the purchase of new targets and supplies. Everyone is welcome, whether military, law enforcement or typical American. You do not have to be a member of Tri-County Gun Club or the NRA, but both are strongly encouraged.

I have shot this match four times now, and let me tell you its a kick in the pants!  The guy who run's the match, Randy, and his wife to a great job at keeping the match moving, fun, and safe.  Although its a "match" the prevailing mood is fun and supportive.  For those of you turned off by the word "match" consider it an exercise.  It's truly a supportive environment.

Anyone want to pick a date and shoot together?

Edit to add:  More info and pictures:

www.practical-rifle.com/
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Liberty86: Did you get my #?? I spoke with my dad (co-owner). Sounded like hes up to going. So R&R Gunworks will be present. We can work the range if needed.

Ya, got it, I'm gonna call you about those shooting bench's for myself. Guys, Have we agreed to have a coast shoot?? If so should I try to organize it for late May or so? Wait till schools out? When??
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Guys, Have we agreed to have a coast shoot?? If so should I try to organize it for late May or so? Wait till schools out? When??

Sounds good too me!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Guys, Have we agreed to have a coast shoot?? If so should I try to organize it for late May or so? Wait till schools out? When??

doesn't really matter to me if you wait till school's out or not.  of course, I *might* have a car by May or June, so I *might* not need to bum a ride by then.  we'll see.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm busy many 2nd saturdays (typically guard weekends, and other stuff planned, too), but if I manage to find one free and can get transpo, I'd love to go.

Quoted:
How about we field an AR15.com squad at an upcoming Practical Rifle match at the Tri County Gun club (Just south of Portland)?

www.tcgc.org/practical_rifle.htm

Matches are held on the second Saturday of almost every month and begin at 0900 hours. If you would like to help set-up, be there at 0800. Otherwise, expect to help with the tear-down at the end of the match, usually around 1400 hours, depending on how many shooters show up. The match fee is currently $10, which goes towards the purchase of new targets and supplies. Everyone is welcome, whether military, law enforcement or typical American. You do not have to be a member of Tri-County Gun Club or the NRA, but both are strongly encouraged.

I have shot this match four times now, and let me tell you its a kick in the pants!  The guy who run's the match, Randy, and his wife to a great job at keeping the match moving, fun, and safe.  Although its a "match" the prevailing mood is fun and supportive.  For those of you turned off by the word "match" consider it an exercise.  It's truly a supportive environment.

Anyone want to pick a date and shoot together?

Edit to add:  More info and pictures:

www.practical-rifle.com/

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#32]
For all those curious. The benches look like this.

E-mail me for more info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm willing to join you at tri-county.

I've heard good things about that event from others.
I have one other person I would like to bring along as well.

I'm getting some machine work done on the AR so I'll have to wait a month or so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm willing to join you at tri-county.

I've heard good things about that event from others.
I have one other person I would like to bring along as well.

I'm getting some machine work done on the AR so I'll have to wait a month or so.

Execellent.  Just Email me when you want to go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I'dd like to try that one out sometime, myself, although I would prolly make a fool of myself. (hasn't stopped me from most of the things I do)

Nick
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Markl32:  who are you?  I shoot the Practical rifle matches at tri-county (when the boss allows). They are quite fun!  I'd like to come up with a way for all us ARFcom ers to meet up at the match.

I'm the big fat guy who usually wears a desert camo hat.  I shoot a colt match H-bar with the Red, white, and blue tape on the stock.  But the next match I might be shooting my AK (.223)

Come on up and say "hi"!

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#37]
M-60, we have met.  I commented favorably on your red/white/blue sticker.  

I think I wore a red ski jacket last time I was out.  I shoot a Armalite 20" with Green furniture.  Iron sights, no scope.  

Agreed, we should have an AR15.com squad one of these days!

Are you shooting this months "classic battle rifle" match?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
The Garand and I will be there for the "classic battle rifle" match. See you all there.

Remember ARs are welcome, just scored separate.

M60 or Mark, either of you two shoot the night match last month? Great fun. What did you think of the pistol?

As stated earlier, its very low-key. Very fun match.

On a side note:
There's a European gentleman who shoots an FN out there regularly. But that's not important right now. Last month he parked his older Chevy Caprice right by the firing line. I asked if we were going to be shooting from the trunk.

Yeah, well nobody else was amused either, so there...

BTW, count the Crimson Trace boys in for whatever, wherever the shoot is.

-Z out
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Crimson_Trace, I did not make the night match unfortunately.  I am sad about it!  I'll bet it was a hoot.  

I *hope* to make it to the classic battle rifle match with my yugo SKS.  

BTW I had no idea I had such an prominent industry leader in my located in my own back yard! (Beaverton/Hillsboro)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I had no idea I had such an prominent industry leader in my located in my own back yard! (Beaverton/Hillsboro)

That's right Mark, Leupold IS located in Hillsboro.

Feel free to call ahead, I'll give you the $.05 tour.

-Z
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Practical rifle kicks ass....

as others have said, don't think of it as a match.  I just compete against myself.

I'm in class for the classic match and i don't have a suitable bolt gun for the sniper match in Feb.

Everyone start planning long term for the March match?

BTW, Crimson Trace.  We used a laser in on stage in the summer that I didn't like.  The guide rod replacement glock 21.  However,  you guys have a kick ass product on a 2" 5 shot .357!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Gack -

Are you sure it was a guide rod?

If so, that would be a Lasermax, not ours.

I did loan a Glock earlier this year. Don't remember which Glock or which month though.

If the activation button was under the trigger guard for instant activation and it has a solid beam, it was ours.

If you needed to flip a switch on the frame to get the laser kicking and it was a blinkie beam it was a Lasermax.

I suspect it was our laser. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. What didn't you like about it?

I know a few people had trouble with the activation on a pistol they had never seen before.

I was particularly amused by people missing and saying, "The laser isn't sighted in..." (waaahh!)

But the crowd could clearly see the dot just jerking off target right before the pistol went "bang!"

great training tool...

-Z
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Would love to take part in an Oregon Shoot, particularly one held farily close to the Medford area, where I reside.

Give me an excellent excuse to shoot my new AR180B.

Would be only too glad to assist with the running of the shoot in any capacity that I can..
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah I'm pretty much just Medford here but I might be able to go for the coast shoot.

-Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmmm, I didn't know that were that many of Practical Rifle guys on AR15.com.

The only one of you I know is Markl32.  Speaking of which, I'll throw the DSA STG-58 in my vehicle for your inspection.

Crimson Trace-I've shot your Glock and .45ACP and the matches.  Didn't know that you paticipated in the matches but I had seen your posts.  Ran into one of your employees, John at the 100 yard range on Sat.

M-60 - You don't come to mind but I'm sure that I've rubbed elbows with you at previous matches.

GackMan - I probably know you too.

We almost have enough for a squad.  Q-man(Chad Q. and I met on this board and shoot together each match.  You can spot us by our RRA AR15.com LEGPs.  I'm trying to get AlfaJim to participate also.

The European guy with the FAL is Bobby who is actually from South Africa.  Knowing him, I would have thought he would have laughed.  I was joking around about one of the stages being at a Citgo Gas Station, ......

Hey, we almost have enough for a squad.

I wear my "If You Run, You Will Only Die Tired" hat.

Spambo
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Speaking of the night shoot, it was pretty much a disaster for me.  On stage #1(long range), the rain was coming down horizontally when my turn came to shoot.  Nailed the targets fairly well on the first iteration but and when I got 1/2 way thru the second iteration, my OKO optic washed out.  The dot turned a large milky-way-like blob.  First I thought the lense was saturated with water but now I'm guessing some water got in the small notch that emits the laser and refracted the image.  Had to score "did not neutralize" on 3 of the targets.  I plan on switching to Eotech Holosight in the near future.

On State #2, I shot it at 7:30PM.  It was pitch black and raining like hell.  It appeared to a few of us that the laser on the .45ACP was pointing about 6 inches right of the point of impact.  I used this offset and hit the target.  Moving on the next targets, I used the lowest setting on the OKO which was too bright for pitch black and had a couple of trailing edges on my sight image.  

Yet, another excuse for an Aimpoint or Eotech.  Q-man used to use it but switched to a Leupold CQT.  In my view, the OKO is a decent optic for the price but doesn't compare to Aimpoint of Eotech.

Also the muzzle flashes when I shot inside the barrel temporaily blinded.  It was okay other wise.  Live and learn.

Spambo
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Spam -

Look me up this Sat. Red Dodge truck. I'm usually there early to set-up. I shoot the beater Oly with the RIS and vertical grip. (can't miss it)

That nite shoot was a hoot. I also shot the long stage in pitch black. 150 yards.

My EoTech was actually too bright at the lowest setting. I turned it to NV mode and it was perfect.

re: Laser on pistol. Interesting. That was a Para-Ord LDA. Lots of people had issues with that pistol. Especially trigger. I didn't get a chance to check the pistol later in the day, but it was perfect when I shot. Then again I was one of the first to shoot. When we do pistol again, I'll make sure to check in every dozen shooters or so.

For this Sat. Shoot:

I'll ask Brenda to print "ARFCOM" on one of the squad sheets. Make sure to sign up on the right one. Sound good?

See you all there!

-Z out
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#48]
CrimsonTrace:

I suspect I know you since I've been at almost every match for the last 2 years.  I drive the white Isuzu Rodeo and usually shoot the RRA LEGP AR-15.com model, along with Q-man.

I'll wear my "If you run you will only die tired" hat.

See you at the match.

Spambo
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Great idea on the ARFCOM squad!  

Spambo, I'd love to take a look at that DSA if you have it along.

See you all there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey you guys,

Have a good time at the match. Me & my M1A were both going to sneak off to join in the fun, but alas - I have to work tomorrow now.

Anyone going to post pics?

NMSight
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top