Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 9:54:32 AM EDT
The Brady report cards are in.  What a bunch of bologna.  Maybe its for the best that they'll go after WA state more than us?  I'm still offended.  We can legally open carry an M16 in Pioneer Square yet we get a C- on our report card.

*ETA* http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=WA http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=OR  links added [no hot link please]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
That's bad for WA....I hear they have an AWB just around the corner....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Good website. It helps to know which states not to move to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I love this statement:

Other states like California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington state and Illinois are considering measures to stem the tide of illegal guns in their state.  These measures will help police solve gun crimes, will hold gun stores accountable and will ensure that guns don’t get into the hands of convicted felons, terrorists, and teenagers.

Brady campaign says that teenagers are just as bad as terrorists!

Although I'm sure some of the parents around here would agree with that statement.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well, not this year anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look at their website, it is obvious that its not really kept up to date. they havn't even caught up with the fact that the federal AWB has gone, they only mention that it could happen.

C- is a much too high rating. We need to work hard towards getting that 'F' guys!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you look at their website, it is obvious that its not really kept up to date. they havn't even caught up with the fact that the federal AWB has gone, they only mention that it could happen.

C- is a much too high rating. We need to work hard towards getting that 'F' guys!!!

I'm with ya.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I took a closer look at the scores and really it is completely non scensical how they graded the states.  Someone was obviously smoking pot while passing out grades.  However I'm ashamed to live in a state with anything higher than an F so yes, lets do get together!  Now that Burdick will be gone who do you think will take her place?

Maybe in the off season Philip you and I can get together and write legislation helping our cause and get a law maker to carry it for us.  I think I can get Ted [Ferrioli] but there might be someone better [ie Jason what's his name from down south in Petagunner's area?  Atkinson?]

What can we do to make Oregon better?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I took a closer look at the scores and really it is completely non scensical how they graded the states.  Someone was obviously smoking pot while passing out grades.  However I'm ashamed to live in a state with anything higher than an F so yes, lets do get together!  Now that Burdick will be gone who do you think will take her place?

Maybe in the off season Philip you and I can get together and write legislation helping our cause and get a law maker to carry it for us.  I think I can get Ted [Ferrioli] but there might be someone better [ie Jason what's his name from down south in Petagunner's area?  Atkinson?]

What can we do to make Oregon better?  

You know, that's not a bad idea. Instead of reacting to Ginny-style  legislation, start going on the attack and introduce our own legislation to get an "F".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
She will probably be replaced by Vicky whatshername as contender for the "Oregon Gun-Ban Queen".

No point in introducing legislation that would get vetoed by the gov. Fortunately, it looks like the Republicans might have learned their lesson and will dump Kevin Mannix and put up someone electable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I give the brady pain and Ginny a big fat FU and I'll have you know my rating holds a lot of wieght with the couch commandos
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
She will probably be replaced by Vicky whatshername as contender for the "Oregon Gun-Ban Queen".

No point in introducing legislation that would get vetoed by the gov. Fortunately, it looks like the Republicans might have learned their lesson and will dump Kevin Mannix and put up someone electable.

Mannix sucks, Atkinson is our man.  I was at the Dorchester conference this weekend and Atkinson really impressed me.  Plus he has an A+ rating from the NRA.   Mannix is just a tool.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't care what you say about Mannix, he's A-Okay in my books.  I worked with him on several issues and he came to bat for me personally during a Patty Crisis.   I think he's electable too.  I think Jason is too young.  Its very difficult to get old conservatives to vote for youth.  Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Mannix... what a stale donkey.  

I find it hard to figure that Wa.St. got a lower rating than Oregon.... after all, we are a C3 state and Wa.St. isn't.  And don't give me any BS that you can own a supressor in Wa.St. either because while you may do that, have fun getting caught actually using it there (hint: Walla Walla )
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You can own it if you are bringing it from out of state...but can't use it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't care what you say about Mannix, he's A-Okay in my books.  I worked with him on several issues and he came to bat for me personally during a Patty Crisis.   I think he's electable too.  I think Jason is too young.  Its very difficult to get old conservatives to vote for youth.  Ask me how I know.

Sorry Patty -- this is one of those rare occasions on which you and I will have to agree to disagree.

I respect him a bit more knowing that he went out of his way to help you, but he has also pushed some very anti-gun legislation, then denied that he had anything to do with it. He also just comes over as too much of a party hack.

If he was electable, he would have won against the weakest candidate that the Democrats could find to put up last time around -- he didn't. And by a good margin.

Given the choice between Mannix and Kulongoski I had no other choice but to vote for a third candidate. I suspect a lot of other people did likewise. Or just left that row blank on their voting card.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I find it difficult to believe Mannix is anti gun.  He helped pass some of the strongest anti crime legislation in the Nation.  He also helped Gordon Smith pass legislation in 95 to stregnthen gun owner rights.  Where did you get info that he is anti gun?  I'd be happy to call him up personally and varify exactly where he stands.  He's a strong Catholic and IIRC received an A+ rating when he was a democratic Rep.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
My favorite right now is Wyoming.  They have nearly a perfect "F" score.  The only thing stopping them is the fact that they require a permit to carry concealed.  Guess what's on the legislative agenda?  That's right:  Vermont-style CCW!  

On the oregon side, what is there we can do to get closer to an "F" that's within reason?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hope not cause I have 3 AR15s.  One of em have 32 rnd 9mm upper and the other one a Colt LE6920.

I would hate to have to part with my babies..

I'm thinking of applying for a job in Portland with a Federal Law Enforcement department, is OR a gun friendly state?  WA is pretty easy with gun laws and I can actually have a concealed permit, not like back home in Hawaii.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I find it difficult to believe Mannix is anti gun.  He helped pass some of the strongest anti crime legislation in the Nation.  He also helped Gordon Smith pass legislation in 95 to stregnthen gun owner rights.  Where did you get info that he is anti gun?  I'd be happy to call him up personally and varify exactly where he stands.  He's a strong Catholic and IIRC received an A+ rating when he was a democratic Rep.

He seems to pass whatever someone pays him to pass. I remember HB 2535 in 1999 -- he was pushing it hard. These days he claims he was against it, but the record shows otherwise.

The Bradys liked HB 2535 - link

Read these two links on this topic: link1
link2

This was pushed by "Oregon Gun Owners" -- which despite its name is an anti-gun organization. They also gave a lot of money to Mannix. When the legislation failed, and the money dried up, his seems to have had memory problems.

ETA: more background: link

Text of the bill: link
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He seems to pass whatever someone pays him to pass. I remember HB 2535 in 1999 -- he was pushing it hard. These days he claims he was against it, but the record shows otherwise.

The Bradys liked HB 2535 - link

Read these two links on this topic: link1
link2

This was pushed by "Oregon Gun Owners" -- which despite its name is an anti-gun organization. They also gave a lot of money to Mannix. When the legislation failed, and the money dried up, his seems to have had memory problems.

ETA: more background: link

Text of the bill: link

Interesting.  I'll study these Philip, thank you for the info -- it is obviously very shocking to me.  With that said, I think Eileen Qutub would be an excellent choice for Governor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Smith voted to extend the Assault Weapons Ban.

www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00024

He's no friend of gun owners, nor is Mannix.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00024

Don't know who I despise more:  Democrats, or RINO's.  Probably still Democrats, but still, RINO's suck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know who I despise more:  Democrats, or RINO's.  Probably still Democrats, but still, RINO's suck.

RINO's are bigger dirtbags.

The only reason Mannix moved to the Republican side was a cheese-dick attempt to garner all his old Democrat votes, and some new Republican votes.

I don't know if he'd be better than Kulongoski or not, but he's still a slime.

I'm not much more impressed with Saxton.  I think Atkinson is the way to go, this time around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Things to make us "worse" in the eyes of the brady campaign:
Oklahoma style guns in parking lot law
Tennessee style shall sign NFA law - if there is no legal reason to deny the applicant the CLEO MUST sign the F4
Vermont style concealed carry
Florida style "Home Castle" law and expanded protection for self-defense.

No particular order, just as I thought of them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I don't particularly care for Smith's style of politics but I know for a fact that he is pro gun.  He is constantly doing things such as above to gain support in Liberal Portland when he knows there will be no true political ramification.  

I tend to believe the same is for Mannix as the NRA has nothing but praise for him.  When I feel better I'll get all the facts together.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I don't particularly care for Smith's style of politics but I know for a fact that he is pro gun.  He is constantly doing things such as above to gain support in Liberal Portland when he knows there will be no true political ramification.  

I tend to believe the same is for Mannix as the NRA has nothing but praise for him.  When I feel better I'll get all the facts together.

Patty

I'm sorry, but I can't consider a guy pro-gun that:

Doesn't show up for the vote on/against the 1994 AWB.
Votes yes to renew the 1994 AWB.
Doesn't bother to show up to vote on/against S.397, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

When responding to a letter that I wrote, urging him to fight against any attempt to renew the AWB, his response was a typical cop-out, along the lines of "I support the 2nd Amendment, but believe in sensible gun-control", almost verbatim the same response I received from Darlene Hooley.

The guy is *NOT* our friend.

Hell, he's Mo Udall's cousin.

He plays the political game to HIS benefit, and no one else's.

ETA:  He also voted yes on an amendment (which passed, and is now law) that requires trigger locks with all handgun sales, new or used.

In addition, he voted yes on an amendment (which passed, and is now law) that exempts current and former law enforcement officers from state laws that prohibit concealed handgun carry.  A lot of pro-2nd Amendment/pro-gun people have a problem with this - why should cops be any different, and not have to go through the same procedure we have to go through to get our CHL?  I don't have a problem with police officers having CHL's, not at all.  I have a problem with police officers having more rights than us.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#27]
From the latest OFF alert:

In the Governor's race, none of the Democrats has a pro-gun record or
ideology.  Of the major Republican candidates, Kevin Mannix was the
architect of the 1999 anti gun-show bill.

When he ran for Governor last time he actually claimed to have opposed
this bill, which he WROTE, LOBBIED FOR, and CARRIED ON THE HOUSE FLOOR.
But the facts remain, he worked overtime to pass this attack on gun
rights.  His bill failed but was later turned into Ballot Measure 5 in
2000, by Ginny Burdick.  That passed and gun shows have suffered ever
since.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Gordon Smith passed the preemption law over Kitzhaber's veto.  This alone deserves a tremendous amount of respect.  I was there when he [along with Tiernan who mastermind the over ride] did this.  I agree he is very self serving when it comes to what will and will not get him elected.  This is something that I have repeatedly argued with him about.  But, I know for a fact the man is pro gun.  He isn't as fanatical about it as we are, but he is pro 2nd amendment.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Voting pro-gun when it serves him, and then voting anti-gun when it serves him makes him seem more gun-neutral than pro-gun.

Sorry, but I'm going to stick with the opinion that neither Smith nor Mannix is a friend to gun owners.

Hell, Smith's voting record on gun issues is about equivalent to DeFazio's, and I wouldn't consider DeFazio to be "pro-gun".  He's more neutral-gun, like Smith.

Sure, someone like a Smith or a DeFazio is better than a Wyden, a Hooley, a Wu or a Blumenauer, but not by too much.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:47:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like 'Bama is getting a Florida style defense law soon Link. Much to the chagrin of the brady bunch. I wonder how many people showed up for their protest?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top