Posted: 8/17/2005 7:07:55 PM EDT
wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=30742

Selling Guns From Orchard Park Home?

Posted by: Claudine Ewing, Reporter
Created: 8/17/2005 4:43:21 PM
Updated: 8/17/2005 10:15:07 PM

E-mail This Article
Printable Version

An Orchard Park man is seeking a special permit to sell guns from his home. Residents living in the Errington Terrace area are opposed.

David Smith wrote a letter to the Orchard Park Town Board in March about the matter. He indicated that 85% of his sales would take place at gun shows, only 15% would be sold from his home and there would not be any signs or advertising at his home.

The town Planning Board recommended that he be allowed to sell the guns, but final approval is needed by the Town Board.

The board held a hearing on the request Wednesday night, but did not take a vote. Many people who live in and around the neighborhood came out to tell the board their opinions. Most wanted the board to turn down Smith's permit.

The board will review the request over the next few weeks and plans to take a vote at its meeting on September 7th.

some ass hat called into local talk radio bitching about them selling automatic weapons. I should have called in but at the time I had no info about the story and the guest host while sort of supporting the 2nd doesn't sound all that pro gun.
they just showed video from the meeting.
"would you want this in your neighborhood" that was one asshat. I'd be all for a gun shop next door
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:08:29 PM EDT
Another reason why I have to get out of this state.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:55:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:
. He indicated that 85% of his sales would take place at gun shows, only 15% would be sold from his home and there would not be any signs or advertising at his home.

Technically, as an FFL, you MUST have signage visible from the street. Do all of the remaining tabletop FFLs DO that? Probably not. The guy would find out at his first visit from ATFE, probably.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:25:17 PM EDT
Well , if they turn him down he could reapply for a garden supply store , and start selling
lots of this -

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:28:16 PM EDT
If all of his neighbors are bitching about him opening up a gun shop, I would pass on it. If he's wants to make a living in the gun trade, he's better off finding a more suitable zoned location where residents dont have the choiuce to bitch about it. Then again, I hope he gets the approval. I'll buy something from him just to spite the complainers! The Orchard Parkers are mostly stuck-up elitist pricks anyways.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:39:19 PM EDT
ASSHAT VIDEO

Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Technically, as an FFL, you MUST have signage visible from the street. Not true!!! Do all of the remaining tabletop FFLs DO that? Probably not. The guy would find out at his first visit from ATFE, probably. NOT.

Originally Posted By lockedandloaded:
If all of his neighbors are bitching about him opening up a gun shop, I would pass on it. Sheeple in disguise? If he's wants to make a living in the gun trade, he's better off finding a more suitable zoned location true where residents dont have the choiuce to bitch about it. Then again, I hope he gets the approval. I'll buy something from him just to spite the complainers! The Orchard Parkers are mostly stuck-up elitist pricks anyways.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:25:00 PM EDT
sweet. the video wasn't there when I posted. That's the one I saw last nigth on tv
Although it won't load in firefox, I had to use IE
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:59:18 PM EDT
Uhh, this guy is an asshat. I work with one of his neighbors and when he moved in the neighborhood a few months back the welcome wagon came by to say hi and welcome him to the neighborhood. The asshat basicly said thanks but no thanks as I normally dont talk to my neighbors and expected them to leave. Not a way to start off a releationship with the people in your neighborhood.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:51:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PK90:

Technically, as an FFL, you MUST have signage visible from the street. Not true!!! ]

I don't have time to review all my paperwork now to find the supporting reg, but it IS true.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:02:18 AM EDT
ORCHARD PARK
Debate rages on permit for gun shop
By ELMER PLOETZ
News Southtowns Bureau
8/18/2005

America's love-hate relationship with guns went on display at the local level Wednesday night in Orchard Park.
In a public hearing on a permit for a gun shop in a home in a residential neighborhood, most of the neighbors voiced their fears about firearms being sold there.

"If we have a gun shop in Orchard Park, I would think you would have to put in metal detectors in the schools," said Robin Crowley. "We're frightened," said John Doyle. "When all is said and done, this amounts to a gun shop on a quiet residential street in Orchard Park - that sells assault rifles."

Comments from both sides, about 15 against allowing the permit and three just as adamantly for it, appealed to the emotions more than logic, with frequent trips into cliche, such as a rejoinder from Jerry Adner, an Orchard Park resident who said he didn't know the applicant but supported him nonetheless, because guns aren't dangerous, people are.

Applicant David Smith wasn't there, upon the advice of his attorney. He has applied for the permit because he is required to have an address for his license to sell firearms at gun shows.

The Planning Board approved his application by a 4-3 vote, leaving the final decision whether to OK Smith's "home occupation" permit for his Errington Terrace home in the hands of the Town Board.

The Town Board did not make a decision, saying it would act at its Sept. 7 meeting.

Contacted after the meeting, Smith said he was glad the board wouldn't be acting until then and that he would be considering other options as well before then.

He said he was concerned that people had misinterpreted what he would be selling because of changing federal definitions. The definition of an assault weapon has been expanded to include models such as the Colt AR-15, which he might sell.

"But you never could have a full automatic weapon in the State of New York," Smith said. "You cannot sell a full automatic machine gun in New York. That's a Class 3 weapon. I applied for a Class 1 license."

Councilman John Mills said after the meeting that the issue may be pointing out the town needs to be more specific in its codes about what it will allow in home businesses. The board now judges a gun shop the same way it judges an application from a beauty parlor, on how it affects the neighborhood in specific ways such as traffic and parking.

"There was a lot of animosity, a lot of fear, a lot of misrepresentation of facts tonight," Mills said. "From the standpoint of Mr. Smith, he really didn't get a fair shot this evening. But it personally bothers me to see these residents under a lot of stress. There's enough stress in this world."

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:44:04 AM EDT

"If we have a gun shop in Orchard Park, I would think you would have to put in metal detectors in the schools," said Robin Crowley. "We're frightened," said John Doyle. "When all is said and done, this amounts to a gun shop on a quiet residential street in Orchard Park - that sells assault rifles."

please tell me these people have been sterile since birth and have something in their background to prevent the gov't from letting them adopt
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:09:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PK90:

Technically, as an FFL, you MUST have signage visible from the street. Not true!!! ]

I don't have time to review all my paperwork now to find the supporting reg, but it IS true.

Sorry TC556, I have to weigh in on this as a FFL and someone with a passing knowledge of the laws in NY, there's no such requirement in the state although there may be one at the local level depending on where you are in NYS.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:40:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT by lockedandloaded]
TOWN OF ORCHARD PARK
Permit for gun shop in home rejected
By ELMER PLOETZ
News Southtowns Bureau
9/8/2005

Siding with neighbors Wednesday night, the Orchard Park Town Board turned down a request to operate a gun shop in an Errington Terrace home.
David Smith had sought a home occupation license for a small business selling guns out of his house, located in a residential area off Webster Road near Route 20.

But at a public hearing Aug. 17, neighbors went ballistic, saying they believed that would pose a threat to safety. The 10 foot-by-10 foot safe in Smith's house failed to reassure them.

"We heard clearly from the residents that they were not in favor of this request," Councilman Stan Jemiolo Jr. said.

"I looked at it from a perspective of being a homeowner myself," Councilman David Kaczor said. "You spend hundreds hundreds of thousands of dollars building a house, you don't expect a business to pop up in the home next door to you."

The resolution denying the permit said the business would be inconsistent with the town's long-range comprehensive plan, that Smith failed to adequately show a need for it, that it was incompatible with adjoining land uses and that the "health and safety of adjacent properties would be adversely affected."
The vote was 4-0. Supervisor Toni Cudney, who was on vacation, missed the meeting.

Kaczor said he believed any exception should be limited to "low-impact" businesses such as beauty parlors or baseball card dealers.

Contacted later Wednesday, Smith said he wasn't surprised by the vote.

"They voted on it. There's nothing else I can do," he said.

Smith, who does most of his business at gun shows, said he was looking for a commercially zoned site.

As a result of the permit hearings, however, the board has decided to redefine allowable home businesses.

"I would suggest to the board that we revise what is a "home occupation,' " Councilman John Mills said.

The board also conducted a public hearing on allowing dogs in town parks as long as owners keep them on leashes, do not take them into some designated areas and clean up after them.

The current ordinance bans dogs from parks.

The board is expected to vote on the issue at its Sept. 21 meeting.

e-mail: eploetz@buffnews.com

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
Score one win for the dogs and one loss for the RKBA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:57:45 PM EDT
I was going to post that article
just checked my email and the NYSPRA sent it
Top Top