Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
I'm trying to wade my way into understanding the market for the M1A and see what could be had in or around the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

Sounds like the general opinion of the Springfield is that it is not USGI and that it is WAY overpriced for what you get. However, you get a new rifle with a lifetime warranty.

Then you have Fulton Armory for another $500 above the average Springfield which, again, is reportedly overpriced.

Then you have Polytec and Norinco which is rumored to have soft metal in the bolt and sometimes receiver, but is priced at $600 to $700.

I have no problem justifying the expenditure of a couple hundred on a military surplus rifle from Century Arms and risk having to spend another hundred to make it right.

However, spending $600 to $700 on a Chinese rifle that may require heat treatment of the receiver as well as a new barrel and bolt conversion does not appreal to me. Maybe for $300...NOT for $600.

The Market Hall Gun Show didn't have much to look at. What do you guys think could be had in the Dallas / Fort Worth area? Where should I look?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm trying to wade my way into understanding the market for the M1A and see what could be had in or around the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

Sounds like the general opinion of the Springfield is that it is not USGI and that it is WAY overpriced for what you get. However, you get a new rifle with a lifetime warranty.

Then you have Fulton Armory for another $500 above the average Springfield which, again, is reportedly overpriced.

Then you have Polytec and Norinco which is rumored to have soft metal in the bolt and sometimes receiver, but is priced at $600 to $700.

I have no problem justifying the expenditure of a couple hundred on a military surplus rifle from Century Arms and risk having to spend another hundred to make it right.

However, spending $600 to $700 on a Chinese rifle that may require heat treatment of the receiver as well as a new barrel and bolt conversion does not appreal to me. Maybe for $300...NOT for $600.

The Market Hall Gun Show didn't have much to look at. What do you guys think could be had in the Dallas / Fort Worth area? Where should I look?

Gunmaster in plano had a SA SOCOM 16 for $1400, I believe. Love that rifle. No killer deals though there though.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Check this out:  LRB of Long Island

Their M14's are drop hammer forged.  I have heard these are considered some of the best.  Tad spensive though.

Could order one and have it shipped to an area FFL, or have one order one for you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone ever seen one at Bachmans?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Bachman usually has a good selection of m1a's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Last time i went by bachman, they had the whole m1a lineup , or it sure looked that way.later, oh by the way at bigtown there is always somebody walking around with one to sell, might be the best bet if you have cash, plus bachman sets up there too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last time i went by bachman, they had the whole m1a lineup , or it sure looked that way.later, oh by the way at bigtown there is always somebody walking around with one to sell, might be the best bet if you have cash, plus bachman sets up there too.

Bachman goes to big town? Never seen them there only market hall.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Back corner to the right, every show i think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top