Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2009 11:22:42 AM EDT

That's it.  While I was at PR last month, I saw many types of scopes, mostly lower magnification variables.

I'm looking at several riflescopes under $200 for PR next month.

I'd like to know what scopes are being used and why.

If there is a low-end sleeper out there, I'd like to know about it.  I am on a tight budget.

Thanks

ZM
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Canon 70-200 f2.8 L

or

Canon 17-40 f4 L

Depends on the stage...

-Mark.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Canon 70-200 f2.8 L

or

Canon 17-40 f4 L

Depends on the stage...

-Mark.

Does Larue make a mount for that scope?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Back when I would actually shoot the match with a rifle, I used an ACOG TA-31a.   I love that scope.  Worth every penny.

-Mark.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Back when I would actually shoot the match with a rifle, I used an ACOG TA-31a.   I love that scope.  Worth every penny.

-Mark.

If I blew that much money on a playgun, my wife would skin me alive and post the pics here as a warning for other husbands.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Eotech 512 with 4x FTS multiplier.  I like the eotech for fast target aquisition, the big circle for the close targets and the dot for things further out.  The multiplier just helps me see the further out targets better and is slowly paying for itself in hits by saving me ammo .  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I lick my thumb and stick it in the air.  Works 50/50.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just like your weapons

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 in a Larue SPR mount on one of my AR's and am getting a Millet 1-4xsomething in a Larue SPR mount for another (can't afford the Nightforce with all my other purchases right now), and I have an Aimpoint for a 3rd.

I like the Aimpoint for short-range stages, and really struggled at distance with it using the 6.8SPC in the Area 1 multigun a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark.

If I blew that much money on a playgun, my wife would skin me alive and post the pics here as a warning for other husbands.

The Canon f2.8 was more...  

-Mark.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The Millet 1-4x24 is about $220 or less depending on where you find it.

Its about as cheap as I was willing to go for a scope.  I'm sure when I can upgrade the glass for that rifle, that my cheap co-worker will buy it from me.

I had a TA-31, but my neanderthal brain can't grasp the B.A.C.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like your weapons

you little bitch....
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's it.  While I was at PR last month, I saw many types of scopes, mostly lower magnification variables.

If there is a low-end sleeper out there, I'd like to know about it.  I am on a tight budget.

Thanks

ZM

ZM,

Optic, under $200; for PR. No problem.

The first two scopes have been sufficient to keep me in the top 10 or better for a long time. The third scope listed isn't quite as useful (by a small margin) as the others. I expect that there are other optics that would also satisfy your (PR) requirements.

Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32  (~$200 new, street price). I've successfully (and happily) used this scope at PR for over 12 PR matches, USPSA mulitgun Area 1, and USPSA mulitgun Nationals. Good magnification range, magnification adjustment, and optical clarity.

Burris FullField II 1.75-5x20. No longer in production but can be found new (old stock), or gently used, in the $125-$175 range.  I've successfully (and happily) used this scope at PR for over 12 PR matches, and a USPSA multigun Area 1.  Good magnification range, mediocre magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

Burris FullField II 2-7x35 (~$190 new, street price).  Similar to the above scope: acceptable magnification range (not quite as low as is desirable, and more high magnification than is useful), mediocre magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

Weaver V III 1-3x20  (~$150 new, street price). I haven't used one at a match and don't own one, but I've examined them. Acceptable magnification range (excellent low end, and acceptable high end), good magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

I've got a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 in excellent condition that I'm about to put up for sale. Contact me if you want to check it out or may be interested in buying it.

ac

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I recommend using the front sight post.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recommend using the front sight post.

I used my old school iron sighted slickside carbine for my first match.  

I'd like to have the option of using my other AR if I want to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

ZM

ZM,

Optic, under $200; for PR. No problem.

The first two scopes have been sufficient to keep me in the top 10 or better for a long time. The third scope listed isn't quite as useful (by a small margin) as the others. I expect that there are other optics that would also satisfy your (PR) requirements.

Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32  (~$200 new, street price). I've successfully (and happily) used this scope at PR for over 12 PR matches, USPSA mulitgun Area 1, and USPSA mulitgun Nationals. Good magnification range, magnification adjustment, and optical clarity.

Burris FullField II 1.75-4.75x20. No longer in production but can be found new (old stock), or gently used, in the $125-$175 range.  I've successfully (and happily) used this scope at PR for over 12 PR matches, and a USPSA multigun Area 1.  Good magnification range, mediocre magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

Burris FullField II 2-7x35 (~$190 new, street price).  Similar to the above scope: acceptable magnification range (not quite as low as is desirable, and more high magnification than is useful), mediocre magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

Weaver V III 1-3x20  (~$150 new, street price). I haven't used one at a match and don't own one, but I've examined them. Acceptable magnification range (excellent low end, and acceptable high end), good magnification adjustment, and good optical clarity.

I've got a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 in excellent condition that I'm about to put up for sale. Contact me if you want to check it out or may be interested in buying it.

ac

IM inbound
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Eotech 512 with 4x FTS multiplier.  I like the eotech for fast target aquisition, the big circle for the close targets and the dot for things further out.  The multiplier just helps me see the further out targets better and is slowly paying for itself in hits by saving me ammo .  

This could be the holy grail of combos. I plan on getting the 3x FTS for my other rifle which already has the EOTech. The EOTech by it's self is exactly what you need for under 100 yrds and three power is just right out to 300 yrds as long as the optics are clear. An ACOG is what I'm currently running and it's great from 50-400 yrds but any magnification under 50 yrds is a big drag on target aquisition so optimaly you need some sort of non-magnified additional sight, like a doctor or jp side irons.
That bushnell 3200 1-4 is a great scope which most people overlook for some reason, very clear optics for the money. DON'T SKIMP ON THE MOUNT/RINGS,  nothing is as frustrating as having your optics go in the middle of a stage or match and we beat on our equipment alot more than people think.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This could be the holy grail of combos. I plan on getting the 3x FTS for my other rifle which already has the EOTech. The EOTech by it's self is exactly what you need for under 100 yrds and three power is just right out to 300 yrds as long as the optics are clear. An ACOG is what I'm currently running and it's great from 50-400 yrds but any magnification under 50 yrds is a big drag on target aquisition so optimaly you need some sort of non-magnified additional sight, like a doctor or jp side irons.
That bushnell 3200 1-4 is a great scope which most people overlook for some reason, very clear optics for the money. DON'T SKIMP ON THE MOUNT/RINGS,  nothing is as frustrating as having your optics go in the middle of a stage or match and we beat on our equipment alot more than people think.

I have a Larue LT 104
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark.

If you tell her it's a PLAYGUN, you're selling yourself short.  Talk to her about having the TRAINING and EQUIPMENT to DEFEND your HOME and FAMILY.

ACOG TA31F - FTW
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]

My other AR is for HD

She didn't balk at the cost of that gun
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Use iron sights, buy ammo, practice with the ammo.  

You'll become a much better shooter and you won't spend money on shitty glass that you'll just replace later for more money.  If you insist on getting a coolguy sight for under $200 look at maybe the millett red dots (no magnifacation) for under $100 http://www.swfa.com/c-1529-millett-sp-electronic-red-dot-sights.aspx

If you want magnfication, you can get any number of "regular" scopes that are 1.1-4x that aren't too expensive. AC4 posted some good options.

Personally, I use an EOTech and I can easilly hit targets out to 300M with no problems.  You don't need magnification at those ranges.  Just something that has a solid mount and holds a zero for the targets and distances at PR.  

But I'd give some serious consideration to just shooting irons for a while.  I went through all the same decisions you're making now.  I had a decent rifle but with a fixed carry handle and I just had to put a scope on it so I bought a crappy dot scope and a crappy mount because I couldn't afford anything else...  that scope turned out to be a POS (actually the mount was) and I did all kinds of shit that didn't make it better.   When I should have just shot the rifle I had with iron sights and spent the money I did on the glass on ammo and trigger time.  

Do some research and save your money until you get the glass you really want/need.

Just FYI - I used an Leupold M4 CQ/T and an ACOG TA31 before going back to the EOTech.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Use iron sights, buy ammo, practice with the ammo.  
You'll become a much better shooter and you won't spend money on shitty glass that you'll just replace later for more money.  If you insist on getting a coolguy sight for under $200 look at maybe the millett red dots (no magnifacation) for under $100 http://www.swfa.com/c-1529-millett-sp-electronic-red-dot-sights.aspx
If you want magnfication, you can get any number of "regular" scopes that are 1.1-4x that aren't too expensive. AC4 posted some good options.
Personally, I use an EOTech and I can easilly hit targets out to 300M with no problems.  You don't need magnification at those ranges.  Just something that has a solid mount and holds a zero for the targets and distances at PR.  
But I'd give some serious consideration to just shooting irons for a while.  I went through all the same decisions you're making now.  I had a decent rifle but with a fixed carry handle and I just had to put a scope on it so I bought a crappy dot scope and a crappy mount because I couldn't afford anything else...  that scope turned out to be a POS (actually the mount was) and I did all kinds of shit that didn't make it better.   When I should have just shot the rifle I had with iron sights and spent the money I did on the glass on ammo and trigger time.  
Do some research and save your money until you get the glass you really want/need.
Just FYI - I used an Leupold M4 CQ/T and an ACOG TA31 before going back to the EOTech.

Gackman told me the same thing - I didn't listen - he still tells me "I told you so".

It's not nearly as much fun or as tacti-cool, but Gackman is a shooten som-bitch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This part is highly personal. 10 years age I could place well with irons on an SKS, 4 years ago I could do great with an EOtech on my AR, now I can't see well enough to to make out a distant target unless it contrasts with the background.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This part is highly personal. 10 years age I could place well with irons on an SKS, 4 years ago I could do great with an EOtech on my AR, now I can't see well enough to to make out a distant target unless it contrasts with the background.

True - good point.  If you need magnification to actuall SEE the target then get a magnified scope.  Or a red dot so you can see the dot and the target w/ out forcing your eyes to focus on the front sight when the target is 250M away then get the sight that will help you out.  

However, if you think that magnification will make you a better shooter since the target will look closer...  irons, a pile of ammo, and fundimentals. :)

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot my first PR match last month using a carbine with A1 irons.

I did better than I expected.  But the long shots past 200 yards are just too much for my old eyes, even with contacts.  I just couldn't make out the steel.

With a decent optic, I would have made the two 200+ shots on stage one.  

ZM
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it only the distant targets?   I know some people who have been better served with an illuminated reticle since they have trouble seeing the front sight superimposed on a distant target.  However, they can see the distant target if they were looking for just that object.   Not the vision per se but the muscles in the eye are not  able to focus quickly on close object and then a far one.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Aimpoint ML3 2 MOA dot in a Larue cantilever mount.

I just replaced the batteries after 3 1/2 years, getting into the Presidential election cycle so I don't forget.  Haven't turned it off yet.

300 yard silhouettes at PR are easy, discs are a little tougher.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark.

-Mark.

Ya it was! I may need to come to the shoot just to see your lens! Image stabilizer on it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Aimpoint ML3 2 MOA dot in a Larue cantilever mount.

I just replaced the batteries after 3 1/2 years, getting into the Presidential election cycle so I don't forget.  Haven't turned it off yet.

300 yard silhouettes at PR are easy, discs are a little tougher.

This is my next optic purchase. Currently using ACOG - TA31DOC (Doctor red dot on top of the ACOG)
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a 5x33L ATN for range shooting. You can usually find 'em for around 200 bucks if you look hard enough. I like the lighted recticle and the built in .223 bullet drop compensator. The finish is tough and the optics are as clear as more expensive scopes costing hundreds more. I've had mine for close to 6 years and the only thing I've ever done to it was replace the battery.

My ATN scope for the range.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark.

-Mark.

Ya it was! I may need to come to the shoot just to see your lens! Image stabilizer on it?

No IS.

The 100-400 has IS though...

-Mark.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Deleted wrong forum
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I was going to recommend the Bushnell T-dot scope, which is a poor-man's copy of an ACOG. I did a Google search and they have jumped in price by over $100 on some sights like Optics Planet. They used to sell new ones for @ $150 and scratch n dent ones for $109. Now they are listed at $259 on theirs and many other websites. WOW!

I did still find one for $159 at Wal Mart online, of all places.  Here's a link:  Bushnell T-Dot at Wal Mart

ETA: Just found one at Smart Gunner for $149 but I've never bought anything from them.  

Read the reviews on Optics Planet and see what others say about the T-Dot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Best of both worlds, but only good if your not shooting a USPSA match unless you want to be in open class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top