Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:02:15 PM EDT
As you may tell from my screen name the only thing I enjoy almost enjoy as much as shooting is my Harley. In transporting my Black Rifle in a tactical bag from my residense to the Ocala range about 40 milea away, I would like to ride my bike. This would entail seuring the rifle to the bike on a luggage rack, in a secure case, but easily distinguisable as a rifle to the citezenry at large. I expect I may cause or arouse the suspicion of the local agencies and get stopped for questioning. Now, remember (or not) when I moved to FL in the late 70's, locals were riding around all day with long guns dispayed in the back of pickup windows in racks and not a word was said. What do you all think are my chances of getting to the range ( through 3 jurisdictions) without a hassle? Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me, I'd get a 'discrete' case in a length just long enough to hold the rifle while broken down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it were me, I'd get a 'discrete' case in a length just long enough to hold the rifle while broken down.

If it were you, you would have a hell of a lot more than "a black rifle".
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ocala range?? That's the same crappy place I shoot! Just have to watch out for the Cowboy Action guys, they're kind of crazy!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, just got my wife to go with me to the forest range and some cowboy action shooter kills himself. Now I have to start all over with her. Of course, the cowboy has an even bigger problem. One thing Idon't like about the range out there in the forest is the unsupervised children. Is that always like that, or was my trip there an exception?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
No, that sounds about right. I think I might try the indoor place in Leesburg at the Gun Room, or something like that. At least for pistol shooting.  Twice in the forest I've had people start shooting during cold, once when my buddy was down range. Closest I ever came to drawing down
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
FL law states that you can carry a firearm in a vehicle if it is "securely encased" meaning in a closed container or something like that.  Not sure about a motorcycle, buy you'd be able to keep the rifle in a case like that right across the front seat of a car.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Shouldnt be a problem. Depending where you live you STILL see people with Long Guns in their racks on their back window
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FL law states that you can carry a firearm in a vehicle if it is "securely encased" meaning in a closed container or something like that.  Not sure about a motorcycle, buy you'd be able to keep the rifle in a case like that right across the front seat of a car.

that's for handguns.

rifles: here's the concept with rifles, back in the day longguns WERE long thus officers wern't scared 'cuse they could see 'it' if they pulled you over, part two was you couldn't move the longgun around IN a vehicle. now a'days things are a little different, longguns arn't really long anymore. as for a vehicle just as long as you can't get it in to action from inside the vehicle your ok(the S.S. says about the same thing just worded better) but thats about how it works(i dont feel like looking it up tonight) as for a bike: "YOU CAN BE ARRESTED FOR ANYTHING"! at anytime, its up to the D.A. / S.A. ... transporting to and from a range is ok.. you maybe stopped and asked, i would recomend  no mag in gun, even leave you mags unloaded(just load them at the range) and bag it.. even the most asshatted person/officer would think your being responsible.. walk the walk, talk the talk.. then do your own thing... this is just a advice, you can do what you want, you could do (don't hate me for saying this') call and ask your local pd/so and ask what would make them happy, there is alot of back woods around(good'ol'boys) who dont care..(it's also a way to cya{get officers name})... sorry to say this, id probably just say F' it and put it in my ( generic term' assalt) rifle bag,  and ride into the sun... it's not like you can hide it......  confusing/ mis-pelling rant over... aza  

P.S. ask again when i've had sleep.. i'll look it up, it's in[s.s.] 790.XXX some place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you will be fine up in Ocala. You might want to make sure you have paper targets rolled up in the case along with rifle just in case there is any question about going target shooting, i know, the targets are not proof you are going to a range, but  they give you a bit of leverage if someone questions you about where you are going. Might want to carry any range membership card as well.
I've been in south fl all my life, seems like the more obvious you are about something the less chance you have of getting in trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top