Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:18:12 PM EDT
Hello, I am considering going to graduate school at ISU. I'm curious what campus life is like, how good the surrounding areas are and really anything you can tell me about ISU or the area. I've been waitlisted for an assistantship there, so if I get it I'm almost certainly going to ISU. Any info would be appreciated!

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I currently go there. Ames is fine and the school is nice. If you are going to be in the economics department, just know Quirmbach is a tool of the highest order. The IAHTF is the best damn hometown forum period. Feel free to ask away otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, they accepted me to a masters program instead of the PhD program that I applied for. With that said, they told me I'm on the wait list for an assistantship, which will be worth it since my other prospect appears to be in dire straits financially and may not be able to offer funding at any point in the process.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yeah, they accepted me to a masters program instead of the PhD program that I applied for. With that said, they told me I'm on the wait list for an assistantship, which will be worth it since my other prospect appears to be in dire straits financially and may not be able to offer funding at any point in the process.

I've been doing taxes up there, the grad students do ok Really Ames isnt a bad place, food is good and Des Moines is 30 min away, just realize its not an Arizona school and its located in medium-sized town Iowa.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The best part is, you will be close to and can attend the CCA/HV build clinics and shoots!  By the way, when is the next one?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a really nice area. I live on the north side of town away from all of the rowdy college areas. The Izak Walton League is one place that you will need to get a membership to if you intend on doing any shooting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The best part is, you will be close to and can attend the CCA/HV build clinics and shoots!  By the way, when is the next one?

You trying to muscle me out of HR big boy?
How about May 12th for a build date?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Been living in Ames and working at ISU since 93, with one small break.  I like the place.  Lot of shooters around, Ames Ikes is a nice place.  I've been on the board for years.  There's also Boone Sportsmans, Maxwell Ikes, and Ankeny Ikes all within reasonable distance.  ISU has a rifle and pistol club (I'm the advisor) and a very active trap and skeet club.  

Budgetwise we are cautiously optimistic at ISU.  We think the worst is behind us.  Assistantships typically funded with soft money; grants and the like.  We've had good success on that front but it varies around campus.  The new president is looking good so far.  Clearing out some dead wood, actively working the legislature.  And he hunts.  Athletics are on an uptick.  Enrollment is thru the roof.  We will pass 30,000 next year and there are projections that say 35,000 is not out of reach.

Ames is a college town. Housing stock runs the gamut.  I'm on the northside in Sommerset, the newer area of town.  Ames can be kind of small in some ways.  The retail sector is ok, but choices can be limited. DSM is only 40 miles away.  Entertainment depends on what you like to do.  The live music scene is pretty weak compared to Iowa City. The bar business is what you make of it.  Fair selection of bike paths in town.  Some very good restaurants, but the  a limited number.  I'm partial to Dublin Bay.

Drop me a message if yoyu want.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I like what I'm hearing so far.

For the first year or two, I expect that I will not own a car. It's time for my hand me down to be passed on to my little sister. I may also do without firearms for a short while. Would it be reasonable to live within two or three miles of campus and be able to live without a car? I'm curious about how many amenities such as grocery stores are within bicycle distance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Ames it is a very nice community.  They have a public transportation system if you will be without a car.  Lots of apartments within a few miles of the campus.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
i've always dug ames.  nice town, i just don't happen to like some of the lib politics, but that is nearly everywhere but northerng wyoming or montana...  lol.

wifey spent six years there and has done well for herself.  there are a few arfcommers there too.  teddy drives your bus, and i'll be serving your food...  ;)  central iowa offers a fine blend of things to do and open space, so you'll probably get along fine.

my only concern is having a guy locally with a post count as high as yours...  i smell trouble....  lol.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like what I'm hearing so far.

For the first year or two, I expect that I will not own a car. It's time for my hand me down to be passed on to my little sister. I may also do without firearms for a short while. Would it be reasonable to live within two or three miles of campus and be able to live without a car? I'm curious about how many amenities such as grocery stores are within bicycle distance.

Sommerset is roughly a mile north of campus, easy walk.  There is a Fareway just to the north.  Downtown area is about two miles from campus, also has a Fareway.  Two HyVees, east and west,  Dahls to the north.  

Buses run seven days a week.  Two Walmarts (neither of which sells guns), a Target and a KMart.  North Grand Mall should  be bulldozed.  You could live without a car but it would be a nuisance.  Several good bike paths, we could use some more.  At least two decent bike shops.  

By college town standards the politics  are pretty conservative.  Compared to Iowa City we're positively right wing.  My apartment (Hunziker) is fine with firearms.  One (can't remember which) doesn't want handguns.  Lots of carry permits in town.  A few businesses have the signs; Dahls and Wendys come to mind.  Obviously carry on campus is no go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I was in Ames from 88 to 95, and I really enjoyed the town.  I wasn't a big clubber or bar fly so it was good enough.  Ikes is a great setup.  

I still say Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company is the Best Pizza in the World <said in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice>

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I will probably be getting an AZ concealed weapons permit soon. It seems that the AZ permit has reciprocity in Iowa according to AZ DPS. I'll confirm that with Iowa's government first.

We'll see what happens. It's almost a done deal if I get that assistantship. If not, it seems like the probability of future funding is far higher at Iowa State than NCSU from what I have researched.

By the way, I became an arfcommer at the age of 14, so that explains my ridiculously high post count.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
By the way, I became an arfcommer at the age of 14, so that explains my ridiculously high post count.

DANG IT!  We were hoping for another obnoxious nut case.  Now, that was fun!  Been kinda DEAD for a while.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have been lacking in carrying out your official duties and quite frankly I'm surprised that Thomas..........er, I mean BobRoberts, hasn't article 15'd your ass.  

I think you should start a thread regarding the possibility of having a clinic/shoot on May 12th.  Spetic will need at least that much time to get his garage cleaned out.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have been lacking in carrying out your official duties and quite frankly I'm surprised that Thomas..........er, I mean BobRoberts, hasn't article 15'd your ass.  

I think you should start a thread regarding the possibility of having a clinic/shoot on May 12th.  Spetic will need at least that much time to get his garage cleaned out.

Didn't you hear Fish started a minion union. He is untouchable now and is liable to to file a grievance against you.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't you hear Fish started a minion union. He is untouchable now and is liable to to file a grievance against you.

He turned into a prick right after he got that HR gig.  We should have seen that coming.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He turned into a prick right after he got that HR gig.  We should have seen that coming.

Its not my fault Keenan kept getting fired or that we needed one at all.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I lived in Ames for 6 weeks one summer for work during a summer internship and I enjoyed it.....though that may have had a lot to do with my expense account and being in a hotel connected to Old Chicago.  Typical midwest, Ag university college town, nice campus, well funded, athletics dept is coming out of the basement of the Big 12, hell they even beat my Wildcats(The K-State kind, not the 'Zona ones) at the end of mens bball this year.  If you're going to move to the midwest for grad school you could definitely do much worse.  What field are you going to school for?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't tell you much about the school, there were some pretty gnarly looking basement broads a few years ago... Oh, and The Asylum does quality ink work
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd tend to agree with Septic.

I really enjoyed my time at ISU.  I did a B.S. and M.S. in mechanical engineering there and had a great time in Ames.  I liked the size of the community but I grew up in a much smaller town and have no desire to live in a mega-city.

I didn't really get back into shooting until after I finished up my schooling though so I don't know a lot about what there is in Ames in that regard.

Quoted:
i've always dug ames.  nice town, i just don't happen to like some of the lib politics, but that is nearly everywhere but northerng wyoming or montana...  lol.

wifey spent six years there and has done well for herself.  there are a few arfcommers there too.  teddy drives your bus, and i'll be serving your food...  ;)  central iowa offers a fine blend of things to do and open space, so you'll probably get along fine.

my only concern is having a guy locally with a post count as high as yours...  i smell trouble....  lol.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have some HR paperwork for yourself and Thomas,sorry,BobRoberts to sign when I get back
You two will need to revisit your place in the pecking order around here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I drove back and forth from Cedar Falls to Ames while my wife was finishing up her BS.  Nice town.  Check out Old Main!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Went to school there and worked there a couple years. It's a decent little town but there isn't much there for entertainment in my opinion with the exception of random concerts. Population drops down considerably during the summer due to the large student population. I liked it cause it wasn't the big city and it wasn't the boondocks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have fallen down there on more than one occasion  
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
One thing about which I will warn the original poster-
Do not believe a freaking thing that anyone in the Iowa Home Town Forum has to say.
Every single person that posts here is an immoral, unethical, douchbag.
Without a single exception; if they post here, they are trouble.
For example, the people here will expect you to bring the ammo, beer, and women and will try to steal them at the first chance.
You mentioned a sister; do not let any of us them meet her.
Oh sure, we they will appear to offer usable info and support from time to time, even humor once in a great while....
But believe you me, the rest of them are all bad. Very bad.
Specifically, be cautious of the ones calling themselves "trongarm66" and "BobRoberts" and the "Tactical Menonites".
The group will probably invite you to a "Build Day", beware. Be very aware.
These "Build Days" are their primary way of recruiting new douchebags.
By all means, if they do invite you, I do recommend that you attend at least one so that you may see the depravity firsthand, but be prepared to defend yourself from that same depravity.
I might suggest bringing a quart or two of holy water; some to drink to protect your insides and some to wash off with.
And bring your sister.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

One thing about which I will warn the original poster-

Do not believe a freaking thing that anyone in the Iowa Home Town Forum has to say.

Every single person that posts here is an immoral, unethical, douchbag.

Without a single exception; if they post here, they are trouble.

For example, the people here will expect you to bring the ammo, beer, and women and will try to steal them at the first chance.

You mentioned a sister; do not let any of us them meet her.

Oh sure, we they will appear to offer usable info and support from time to time, even humor once in a great while....

But believe you me, the rest of them are all bad. Very bad.

Specifically, be cautious of the ones calling themselves "trongarm66" and "BobRoberts" and the "Tactical Menonites".

The group will probably invite you to a "Build Day", beware. Be very aware.

These "Build Days" are their primary way of recruiting new douchebags.

By all means, if they do invite you, I do recommend that you attend at least one so that you may see the depravity firsthand, but be prepared to defend yourself from that same depravity.

I might suggest bringing a quart or two of holy water; some to drink to protect your insides and some to wash off with.

And bring your sister.
You're talking to a member of the ASU marching and basketball band. I don't even think you know the meaning of depravity...

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#28]
See, now that sounds like a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Ames is cool. I went to school at Iowa ( Iowa City) and after graduation I moved to Ames for a year. It is a medium sized (Iowa sizings) town surrounded by plains of farmland. I live in Des Moines now and regularly make it back to Ames. Entertainment is very lacking but you find a good community. If you can't find it in Ames you will quickly acclimate yourself to the 40-minute drive down to Des Moines.

As already posted, there's a decent amount of Arfcommers either in Ames, Des Moines, or the surrounding area. We are all relatively friendly folk as well.

ETA: Here's a video I shot after a football game. This is not typical of Ames...but entertaining nonetheless.

Ames Throwdown
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I lived in Ames/Nevada for 3.5 years and the furthest I had to drive for something I couldn't find in Ames was Ankeny.

Liked Ames a lot. Hung out at the towny bars and wasn't into the Welch Ave. scene. Ames Ikes is alright, the Ikes down South is better (I forget the name, but they had a longer range w/ gongs and a sporting clays course).
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I lived in Ames/Nevada for 3.5 years and the furthest I had to drive for something I couldn't find in Ames was Ankeny.

Liked Ames a lot. Hung out at the towny bars and wasn't into the Welch Ave. scene. Ames Ikes is alright, the Ikes down South is better (I forget the name, but they had a longer range w/ gongs and a sporting clays course).

Maxwell Ikes.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top