Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
Has anyone had any delaings with The Jewlery Exchange.  Wife and I will have our 20th anniversary later this year and I want to get her something really big.  Thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are in DFW look at Jalin before you make any decision.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
When it comes to buying decent jewelry, I highly recommend an independent jeweler. It's a tiny little shop, but I had a great experience buying rings from Lazio Jewelers in Plano. Way different experience than when I shopped other area jewelers, especially the big boys of the industry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If your not going to do anything custom then my suggestion to people is to go to sams or Costco.  If your going for something that is a true custom then you can't get it from a place like the jewelry exchange.

A retail jewelry store will go after people that don't know about quality or how markups work for jewelry.  You will pay to much and you are going to get lower quality from them.  That's how they make their money.  Besides jewelry has very little value on the secondary market after you purchase it.  Another thing bad about a typical jewelry store is they will use oil to make emeralds look better or fracture fill a diamond.  These type of places will not hide they are doing it but they will most likely not tell you about it if you don't ask.  Heck Tiffany and co doesn't even use the standard grading scale for diamonds.  They do this to make it harder to understand you will be paying more for the blue box.

A place like a wholesale club base their price on a small markup and move volumes of product.  To them a 20k ring is the same as toilet paper or bottle water.  They are all just a sku for sale.

Several independent consumer groups have verified that you can get more for less from them.  The problem is that some people get a snob attitude and are to embarrassed to buy from them.  The other things nice about a wholesale club is you can actually get a 20k ring and then return it for a full refund if you change your mind assuming you have not sized it.  Try that at most jewelry stores.

If you do go the wholesale route remember that they have a large catalog you can order from if they don't have anything you like in the case.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/october-2009/shopping/club-stores/overview/club-stores-ov.htm

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/budgeting-savings/083016/4-reasons-why-you-should-consider-costcos-diamond-rings-cost-tif.asp
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Like many here.. been there done that.. whether for a first time purchase or anniversary ... best advice I can give you is look at online, Mom/Pop and Brick/Mortar stores... no one diamond is alike (cliché I know, but its true!):

1) If you go to a Whole sale club.. you aren't going to get a detailed Cert that you can take measurements and get your own light analysis of what the rock is capable of. ( See the HCA Cut Advisor )  Best cert you'll get is IGL or IGI and that's IF it comes with a Cert... some of their sets or solitaires are only "graded" and not certified... For some its not as big a deal as long as they look great and the price is right... they have good sales sometimes.

With that in mind, I've seen some VERY nice diamond stud earing pairs that we really liked at SAMs... not cloudy, lightly included, near colorless .. but we had another smaller pair to compare to along with the sets they had there. Next purchase will be from SAMs for diamond stud earrings.. cant beat the bang for the buck. And don't settle for one store (or any for that matter) ... every store has a different selection. Nice thing about SAMs is doesn't matter if its a .90 CT or 1.05 CT .. it's going to be the same SKU so you wont get charged more for a larger stone as along as its in the 1CT SKU.

2) BlueNile has excellent customer service. Great prices on loose stones. Purchased a diamond eternity ring from them a couple years ago. A stone fell out about 14 months after purchase. They RMA'd it no questions asked .. they even REPLACED it with a new identical style with slightly larger stones... we couldn't have asked for more.

3) I hate Jared but we bought my wife's solitaire from there. It was a loose stone and wifey liked the idea of their Upgrade Policy for future purchases... you get 100% trade-in credit towards a future rock as long as its double the purchase price.. They have a nice Diamond Vault online you can browse for your own stone with all included detailed measurements, pictures and certs for your viewing pleasure. They are of course pricier than online and most of their Gemologists are asshats trying to make a quick sale. So be wary and don't let them corner you into getting your personal info or they WILL call you everyday for a week.

4) Ok so diamond exchange... been wanting to look at their selection. they advertise GIA and other certified stones. Let us know what you find out if you go by and look at their selection.

excellent resource on rocks - Price Scope - don't be afraid to create an account and ask questions there... Gemologists on there are really nice to newbs unlike others.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like many here.. been there done that.. whether for a first time purchase or anniversary ... best advice I can give you is look at online, Mom/Pop and Brick/Mortar stores... no one diamond is alike (cliché I know, but its true!):

1) If you go to a Whole sale club.. you aren't going to get a detailed Cert that you can take measurements and get your own light analysis of what the rock is capable of. ( See the HCA Cut Advisor )  Best cert you'll get is IGL or IGI and that's IF it comes with a Cert... some of their sets or solitaires are only "graded" and not certified... For some its not as big a deal as long as they look great and the price is right... they have good sales sometimes.

With that in mind, I've seen some VERY nice diamond stud earing pairs that we really liked at SAMs... not cloudy, lightly included, near colorless .. but we had another smaller pair to compare to along with the sets they had there. Next purchase will be from SAMs for diamond stud earrings.. cant beat the bang for the buck. And don't settle for one store (or any for that matter) ... every store has a different selection. Nice thing about SAMs is doesn't matter if its a .90 CT or 1.05 CT .. it's going to be the same SKU so you wont get charged more for a larger stone as along as its in the 1CT SKU.

2) BlueNile has excellent customer service. Great prices on loose stones. Purchased a diamond eternity ring from them a couple years ago. A stone fell out about 14 months after purchase. They RMA'd it no questions asked .. they even REPLACED it with a new identical style with slightly larger stones... we couldn't have asked for more.

3) I hate Jared but we bought my wife's solitaire from there. It was a loose stone and wifey liked the idea of their Upgrade Policy for future purchases... you get 100% trade-in credit towards a future rock as long as its double the purchase price.. They have a nice Diamond Vault online you can browse for your own stone with all included detailed measurements, pictures and certs for your viewing pleasure. They are of course pricier than online and most of their Gemologists are asshats trying to make a quick sale. So be wary and don't let them corner you into getting your personal info or they WILL call you everyday for a week.

4) Ok so diamond exchange... been wanting to look at their selection. they advertise GIA and other certified stones. Let us know what you find out if you go by and look at their selection.

excellent resource on rocks - Price Scope - don't be afraid to create an account and ask questions there... Gemologists on there are really nice to newbs unlike others.
View Quote

Dotcombust you are spot on with the stud earrings.  As for the certs you definitely won't get a true individual cert  but the IGL/IGI is uallly good enough for most insurance companies to start a policy with.  Honestly those cert types are good enough for the average consumer that is asking about the jewelry exchange for a purchase.  

That last sentence was not be rude.  It was just trying to make the point that the extremely valuable and unique items won't come from that place most likely so there is no real need to pay extra for it.  Now if your going for something in the 30k and up range I would start to require a full on cert.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
don't worry, nothing implied or taken rudely .. I've just noticed the gemology community as a whole on Price Scope is incredibly welcoming and polite... There's a lot of information out there and I was the newb once looking at rocks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your input, she loves triangle shaped diamonds.  Do you know how difficult they are to find.  I will look @ Sam's and Costco.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for your input, she loves triangle shaped diamonds.  Do you know how difficult they are to find.  I will look @ Sam's and Costco.
View Quote

So be careful when you say triangle cut.  Do you really want a triangle or something else that looks like a triangle?

Here is a basic list of diamond cuts. http://www.bluenile.com/education/diamonds/shape

You can get a true triangle but it's somewhat rare to see.  I am assuming you are really talking about a marquee or pear cut .   By the way the princes cut can make a smalller diamond look much bigger
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has anyone had any delaings with The Jewlery Exchange.  
View Quote

Apparently not.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are in DFW look at Jalin before you make any decision.
View Quote

I went on your advice.  Not a bad owner.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my wife's engagement ring there after looking all over the area. They didn't try to bullshit me and they have been helpful over the years. Glad you liked it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure where you are, but Kubes in Ft. Worth is outstanding. Excellent customer service and quality pieces.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#13]
That is the retailer with the company group video waving back and forth at the end of the commercial. Kinda freaky, seems like they should be wearing clown masks. They have been around for a very long time. Probably a good place.
We use Fuller's in Addison. I don't know anything about jewelry. A "jewelry knowledgeable" family member referred to a specific contact  initially.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys, keep the advice coming, I dropped a hint as to how difficult it was to find a diamond.  Her reply was, your not picking this out for me, I don't trust your judgment.  She is right, I would not trust her to buy a gun for me.  I wanted to surprise her since the marriage proposal 20 year ago went, Here you go and put the ring in her lap as she was backing out of a parking space.  I called Jared, they put in a request to see if anyone had one, but they never called me back, I will start calling some of the places that have been listed.  Thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
We have bought from the jewelry exchange before.  They have a decent selection.  We bought an emerald necklace if that matters.   The question for you is what do you want and what do you want to spend?   If you know those two thing well then shop online.   The jewelry store right across the highway we liked better.  Went to the JE 3 times bought from them once and across the highway twice can't remember the name of the place though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#16]
On a side note at one time I got really into jewelry even made some.   Guys want high quality.  It's a stinking rock.   Look up the minimum specs you are willing to go with.  Color close to yellow but not noticeable inclusions but not big enough to see past 12 inches.  I bought an amazing diamond for my wife when we married, colorless and the only inclusion was a white feather that you need a magnifier to spot.   Big whoop.   I could have doubled the size if I would have lowered the specs.  After a few days of finger grease and dirt they all look similar to the casual glance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
We went to Zales a couple of weeks ago for some warranty work on one of my wife's pieces. 30.06 signs all over the place. I wouldn't go in and they kept trying to convince my wife to buy something for our anniversary. She was smart and refused.

Took me 2 weeks to get off Zales email spam and it required a special email to customer service to finally get off. Couple that with the gay wedding ring commercials on TV and we're out.

We randomly stopped at an independent jeweler in Rockwall on the way home. Ok the Porsche parked out front should have given it away. Very nice store, very nice jewelry, very high pressure sales, lots of stuff "on sale", all the price tags turned backwards so you couldn't see the price without asking, but I don't think there was a piece there we could afford.

We began hitting pawnshops. I used to work at a pawnshop when I was younger, so I have some familiarity with jewelry and how it's priced. We found a piece she liked at the second store we hit. They gave a little wiggle room for cash and my wife had her anniversary present.  

I'd be interested what else is around Dallas that's 30.06 friendly without the Porshe prices. My wife likes jewelry, but she's not really going to know the difference between color and clarity unless we're looking at a snowball.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Luckily- my wife is not into diamonds that much. I am turned off on them because they are not rare- just a controlled item.

To me- my wife would enjoy a nice vacation someplace. Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We went to Zales a couple of weeks ago for some warranty work on one of my wife's pieces. 30.06 signs all over the place. I wouldn't go in and they kept trying to convince my wife to buy something for our anniversary. She was smart and refused.

Took me 2 weeks to get off Zales email spam and it required a special email to customer service to finally get off. Couple that with the gay wedding ring commercials on TV and we're out.

We randomly stopped at an independent jeweler in Rockwall on the way home. Ok the Porsche parked out front should have given it away. Very nice store, very nice jewelry, very high pressure sales, lots of stuff "on sale", all the price tags turned backwards so you couldn't see the price without asking, but I don't think there was a piece there we could afford.

We began hitting pawnshops. I used to work at a pawnshop when I was younger, so I have some familiarity with jewelry and how it's priced. We found a piece she liked at the second store we hit. They gave a little wiggle room for cash and my wife had her anniversary present.  

I'd be interested what else is around Dallas that's 30.06 friendly without the Porshe prices. My wife likes jewelry, but she's not really going to know the difference between color and clarity unless we're looking at a snowball.
View Quote

I pretty much ignore all signs so cant help ya there. We hit up all the various pawns shops or Craigslist even can find some good deals there as well. We bought her diamond enhancer wedding band wtvr you want to call it from zales had it one year diamond fell out and she hadn't taken it to get inspected like she was supposed to. Was expecting to get told to bad but surprising they fixed it for free and redipped the wife's solitaire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top