Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 3:50:41 PM EST
So I'm opening a bar in Houston. More of a gastropub. The project is in the works and I can't discuss the details yet, but I have 10 years of experience operating successful food and beverage establishments in various markets so it'll be awesome. I might be getting ahead of myself, because I'm still in talks with a few potential investors, but there's a few things I think my fellow Texas Arfcomers can start helping me with, or give me some ideas on:

1. Even though we are serving food, we will likely be a 51% establishment. However, IF POSSIBLE, I would like to allow concealed carry at my bar if there is some DISCRETE and LEGAL way of granting it to people I know and people on this forum so that they don't break the law when coming in. Like for example, if you message me on here and we meet, I issue you a letter saying that the owner has granted you permission to carry. And I don't want to be known as the bar that allows concealed carry either. People with permission granted may not share this information with others. I just want people with CHLs to not have to leave their guns in the car when coming in. My reading of the laws relating to CHL and the Alcoholic Beverage code doesn't seem to allow for this possibility at all, so I throw it to you guys to see if there's any way a Pro-gun bar owner can help his pro-gun customers. It seems my rights as an owner-operator doesn't trump the laws restricting carry. Any ideas? Lawyer recommendations? If you wanted to carry at my bar, could you just go get hired by a security contractor that I will use, and say that technically my bar is premise under your control? I'm just thinking of all possibilities here...

2. I'll need a general contractor to build out the bar. Anyone here do that kind of thing? I have some people on hand, but I'd rather work with arfcommers or pro-gun guys. Especially if they can give me a good deal. Volunteers or recommendations appreciated. Especially people who know the city codes well.

3. I'll need to build up a staff of capable people I can trust. I've been in the business for a while so I know a lot of people who will leave their current service industry jobs to come on board with me, but again, anyone here? Especially management positions. I will be looking to groom someone into taking over the Houston bar so I can eventually go and expand into Dallas next. Also needing a chef or good cook.

4. Once we get open later this year, I'll of course need everyone's support through your patronage. Any parties or corporate happy hours would be great, haha.

5. If anyone would like to invest, we could talk if my negotiations with current investors don't pan out (unlikely, but possible).

6. I need a travel agent to work with on a few events. Not necessarily related to the main topic, but, might as well throw it out there.

Thanks in advance, boys and girls. (and yes, i meant that in the most restrictive, heteronormative, gender binary way possible)

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:18:55 PM EST
Can I be a customer?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:33:38 PM EST
You cannot relieve another of their liability under state law for carrying in a 51% location.

The best you can do is not reach the 51% threshold.

As the person supervising the operation of the location, you are specifically exempt from a prohibition on carry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:06:50 PM EST
What part of Houston.......can we expect a large BFL logo on the wall.......can we expect tap handles made from 30mm shells??? Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:58:49 PM EST
Can't help, but let me know when it's open and I'll swing by.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:36:56 PM EST
Let us know what area of town and I will be a customer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:40:09 PM EST
Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:44:42 AM EST
Will you allow live music(thinking Hut's in Austin, 30 years ago)? There was a place in Pearland my stepson used to play but I'm not awake enough to come up with the name.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:30:03 AM EST
Any chance you are looking at south side medical center? With all the development moving that way the area is screaming for some decent bars and places to eat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:55:20 AM EST
There's a place called Bombshells here in Austin that is more like a hooters/bikinis type place, that has a ton of gun and military decor - could look there for ideas.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:36:08 AM EST
They have a bombshells in spring by spring cypress road.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:46:49 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Htxshooter:
View Quote

Also in Clear Lake off Nasa 1. West of Egret Bay/El Camino. Place is always booming.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:38:37 PM EST
Put it on the West side. Every damn bar and restaurant there is PACKED every Thursday-Sunday nights.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:56:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
There's a place called Bombshells here in Austin that is more like a hooters/bikinis type place, that has a ton of gun and military decor - could look there for ideas.
View Quote

We have one here in Dallas as well right off 35.

Let us know where in Houston your restaurant will be, I have family down there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:04:29 PM EST
Have you decided on a supplier for your food (and dry) items?
(I work for a food distribution company here in Houston. We supply many restaurants and bars.)
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:52:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By DooChess:

Also in Clear Lake off Nasa 1. West of Egret Bay/El Camino. Place is always booming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was there last night watching the game at the bar. Not as bad or ghetto as the Almeda / fuqua location.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:37:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2015 4:37:49 PM EST by Eric802]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:29:15 AM EST
what part of Houston?

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:42:25 PM EST
I'm in Houston several times a year - let me know when / where it opens.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:24:03 PM EST
in!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:47:48 PM EST
dang. I wish you were opening a bar in Seagoville. I haven't found a good bar, closest thing is a Mexican restaurant I like.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:13:24 AM EST

View All Quotes

Booming for sure. Off duty cop/ night watchman shot some dude in the parking lot last week. News said there was a fight between two "groups"(gang related maybe? ) inside that spilled outside. One guy got a gun out of his car, would not drop when ordered, then pointed it at the cop. End of story.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:44:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By kyreb:

Booming for sure. Off duty cop/ night watchman shot some dude in the parking lot last week. News said there was a fight between two "groups"(gang related maybe? ) inside that spilled outside. One guy got a gun out of his car, would not drop when ordered, then pointed it at the cop. End of story.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kyreb:

Good shoot. One less asshole.
Top Top