Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2005 4:32:36 PM EST
When and why was open carry banned in TX?

Is this a holdover from reconstruction? Or was it part of the CHL passage?

I have no clue, school me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:36:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/10/2005 4:38:27 PM EST by mikejohnson]
Although a blatant violation of the 2A, The Texas constitution says it can regulate the wear and carry of handguns with the intent to reduce crime.
I think they do not allow open carry of handguns simply because they can - it is about control.

There are no restrictions on long guns!!! Carry them open or concealed, loaded or not - just do not point it at anyone or threaten them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:40:48 PM EST
I know there aren't any restrictions on long arms.

Was curious about open carry, after doing so for nearly a week up here in SD.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:44:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:
Although a blatant violation of the 2A, The Texas constitution says it can regulate the wear and carry of handguns with the intent to reduce crime.
I think they do not allow open carry of handguns simply because they can - it is about control.

There are no restrictions on long guns!!! Carry them open or concealed, loaded or not - just do not point it at anyone or threaten them.

I like the prefacing clause to your opening sentence.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:10:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:
When and why was open carry banned in TX?

Is this a holdover from reconstruction? Or was it part of the CHL passage?

I have no clue, school me.

Thanks

It has been since 1871.

It seems that during Reconstruction, the Radical Republicans, who were in control of Texas government after the Civil War, decided that it would be in their best interest to limit the ability of Texas Democrats to carry handguns in public. While other Reconstruction Era laws were erased from the books once control of the government was returned to Texas Democrats, this law has remained, to this day, largely as it was written over one hundred and twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:18:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:46:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
I live in a state where open carry is legal but have any of you guys ever open carried a rifle or shotgun? I can't even imagine doing that.

I have never carried a long gun 'just because,' although walking from my house to/from hunting or pest control could be seen as such.

The Black Panthers regularly will hold a rally/march and flood a city with AR/AK/SKS toting members.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 7:17:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ngog_Nrythrng:

I live in a state where open carry is legal but have any of you guys ever open carried a rifle or shotgun? I can't even imagine doing that.

I have never carried a long gun 'just because,' although walking from my house to/from hunting or pest control could be seen as such.

The Black Panthers regularly will hold a rally/march and flood a city with AR/AK/SKS toting members.

Maybe we could hook up with those guys and hold a joint march, in order to raise awareness............

Link Posted: 5/10/2005 7:35:26 PM EST

I always have an AR in my Suburban. Sometimes cased, sometimes not.

Lately, it's been in the covert carry case under my second bench seat with 4 mags plus 3 more pistol mags, as since February, TX honors my ND chl.

But especially after the Tyler court house shooting, I will NEVER be without a long gun in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 7:59:48 PM EST
I totally agree.

A few months ago there was a bank robbery that resulted in 4 carjackings as they left the bank, and full auto AK fire on 2 police cars. Talk about brave (and stupid).
My route that morning took me through 2 of the intersections of their path, less than 10 minutes before it happened. Mind you this is not Chicago or anything, small suburb of Dallas...

Makes you think how important a long gun and excessive training is these days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 8:11:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:34:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheNorm:
A few months ago there was a bank robbery that resulted in 4 carjackings as they left the bank, and full auto AK fire on 2 police cars. Talk about brave (and stupid).
My route that morning took me through 2 of the intersections of their path, less than 10 minutes before it happened. Mind you this is not Chicago or anything, small suburb of Dallas...

Me too. I was Southbound on 75 at Bush Turnpike about 15 minutes after it happened. Saw the cops on the service road doing their investigation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:52:20 AM EST

Lately, it's been in the covert carry case under my second bench seat with 4 mags plus 3 more pistol mags, as since February, TX honors my ND chl.

But especially after the Tyler court house shooting, I will NEVER be without a long gun in my vehicle.

So by open carry are we talking about a long gun in a vehicle or an AR slung over some guy's shoulder going into a 7-11?

Both would technically be considered open carry (while you were in the vehicle, at least). I think it's open carry on one's person that would be the most contentious.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:52:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:31:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:15:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By COZ_45:
It's strictly subjective, that is, an LEO can judge whether or not your open carry of a firearm could cause alarm and cite you.

Yeah... walking in downtown Houston, Austin or Big-D with your AR on patrol carry would probably get you detained, or even a visit to the pokey... slung over your shoulder in backpack-style or hasty-carry in say Crowell might get you a few looks and a short interview with the Sherriff if he happens to see you.

Even heard about a TSRA official getting a huge visit and talking-to by LEOs at a Plano Sonic because some soccer mom saw his blackpowder muzzleloader on his front seat... she was "alarmed", even though he technically wasnt even in possession of a "firearm" as defined by law. So, I guess whether someone calls in and reports you (because they are alarmed - would they call the cops otherwise?) plays a factor too.

Walking around anywhere in public with a pistol on your hip for all to see (except say while hunting) will definately be a violation of the law... CHL or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:02:42 AM EST

It's strictly subjective, that is, an LEO can judge whether or not your open carry of a firearm could cause alarm and cite you.

Just for the sake of facts;

Texas Penal Code
§42.01. Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or
knowingly:

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public
place in a manner calculated to alarm;

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:03:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By plarkinjr:

Yeah... walking in downtown Houston, Austin or Big-D with your AR on patrol carry would probably get you detained, or even a visit to the pokey... slung over your shoulder in backpack-style or hasty-carry in say Crowell might get you a few looks and a short interview with the Sherriff if he happens to see you.

Even heard about a TSRA official getting a huge visit and talking-to by LEOs at a Plano Sonic because some soccer mom saw his blackpowder muzzleloader on his front seat... she was "alarmed", even though he technically wasnt even in possession of a "firearm" as defined by law. So, I guess whether someone calls in and reports you (because they are alarmed - would they call the cops otherwise?) plays a factor too.

Walking around anywhere in public with a pistol on your hip for all to see (except say while hunting) will definately be a violation of the law... CHL or otherwise.

Waiting for the day when that statement will be derided as false.............. not holding my breath, though.

wise(AnArmedSocietyIsAPoliteSociety)_jake.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:09:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

Texas Penal Code

knowingly:

IIRC, the statute say little/nothing about whose perspective that is judged from (or maybe it does, see next paragraph). Obviously, the [usu. arresting] officer will make this determination when citing or hauling your ass in, but I'm talking about once/if it goes to trial.

Basically, what I'm wondering is: if a "reasonable person" is alarmed (which begs the difficult question of differing community standards for "reasonable"), or would the State have to show/prove intent (I'm assuming "yes" on this one, since the wording is "in a manner calculated to alarm").
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 10:52:47 AM EST
To many Damn Gray area's in Texas law.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 11:31:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 11:31:44 AM EST by wise_jake]

Originally Posted By dutchman74:
To many Damn Gray area's in Texas law.

<stupid_fucking_moonbat>

Yeah, way to go, smart guy - whaddaya think we should do, get rid of all the gray areas in Texas gun laws?

</stupid_fucking_moonbat>

They'll never learn.............
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:00:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By wise_jake:

Texas Penal Code

knowingly:

IIRC, the statute say little/nothing about whose perspective that is judged from (or maybe it does, see next paragraph). Obviously, the [usu. arresting] officer will make this determination when citing or hauling your ass in, but I'm talking about once/if it goes to trial.

Basically, what I'm wondering is: if a "reasonable person" is alarmed (which begs the difficult question of differing community standards for "reasonable"), or would the State have to show/prove intent (I'm assuming "yes" on this one, since the wording is "in a manner calculated to alarm").

No, it does not state from whose perspective. And it is interesting that the legislature chose the word "calculated" rather than "intent", as Intent is defined in the code and calculated is not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:05:20 PM EST
What do you guys think about starting a bill that would allow open carry in Texas?
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:09:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:
What do you guys think about starting a bill that would allow open carry in Texas?

Great idea!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:16:53 PM EST

Great idea!

good idea. they said CHL would never pass.
i want to see open carry BUT only with a chl permit.
we still have to have a way to quickly tell the good guys from the bad guys.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:20:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:

Great idea!

Why? Why open carry only with CHL? I couldn't disagree more.

Open carry is about FREEDOM, not a permit or license.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:27:55 PM EST

Great idea!

i don't want every Jake leg in Texas to think he can strap a gun to his hip and walk down the street. we need to assure the public that everyone who has a pistol also has a basic level of competency and a firm understanding of when they can use deadly force. if "everyone" can carry then we will have convicted felons, wife beaters and everyone else who can't believing they can get away with it. it also eases the burden on LEO. for some reason the popo needs to talk to you he asks you for your DL and CHL and if you can't provide the CHL you go to jail. if you can then he goes from there and you get the "problem" resolved.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:33:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 12:40:29 PM EST by nationwide]

i don't want every Jake leg in Texas to think he can strap a gun to his hip and walk down the street. we need to assure the public that everyone who has a pistol also has a basic level of competency and a firm understanding of when they can use deadly force. if "everyone" can carry then we will have convicted felons, wife beaters and everyone else who can't believing they can get away with it. it also eases the burden on LEO. for some reason the popo needs to talk to you he asks you for your DL and CHL and if you can't provide the CHL you go to jail. if you can then he goes from there and you get the "problem" resolved.

That sounds alot like THEIR argument.

ETA: And the other half of their argument against open carry will be, you have a CHL, go pound sand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:50:51 PM EST
there basic argument is "wild wild west".

so how do you propose to keep the situation under control?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:55:06 PM EST

Simple, make it illegal to just point guns at people, and make it a crime to shoot people who aren't justified to be shot.

Oh snap! The Legislature beat me to it!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:09:18 PM EST

Maybe we could hook up with those guys and hold a joint march, in order to raise awareness............

Just don't do it within the city limits. Under § 431.01 of the Texas Government Code, with certain exceptions it's illegal for "a body of persons other than the regularly organized state military forces or the troops of the United States may not associate as a military company or organization or parade in public with firearms in a municipality of this state."
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:21:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

So by open carry are we talking about a long gun in a vehicle or an AR slung over some guy's shoulder going into a 7-11?

Texas has a clause that says something like 'not intended to cause alarm' that regulates open carry of a rifle or shotgun. It is a gray area. I don't recall ever walking in to a convenience store with a rifle/shotgun myself.

TRG

"A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly... displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm." Tex. Penal Code § 42.01(8) (disorderly conduct).

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:24:54 PM EST
I can see both sides to the argument, but I feel HK940 is right.

There are many advantages to open carry, and although I personally wouldn't open carry most of the time, it would be nice to be rid of the "flashing" paranoia that accompanies concealed carry.

Personally I would make a reasonable attempt to conceal, but not at the expense of great personal discomfort.

So, I'm going to look into it further...

...anyone have a copy of that schoolhouse rock video?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:29:05 PM EST

...anyone have a copy of that schoolhouse rock video?

The "I'm just a BILL..." one???
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:33:37 PM EST
I think open carry should be allowed, but not in urban centers like dallas county, fort worth, houston, austin and san antonio.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:34:33 PM EST

I can see both sides to the argument, but I feel HK940 is right.

There are many advantages to open carry, and although I personally wouldn't open carry most of the time, it would be nice to be rid of the "flashing" paranoia that accompanies concealed carry.

HK940 is making valid points, but I feel they are not very defensible. It is already illegal for bad people to do bad things with firearms.

Currently, the only thing stopping the folks he mentions from open carrying an AR or 12 ga. is that person's own fear of getting busted. There is no problem, with open carry of long arms in the state.

Just because the law treats handguns and long guns differently, doesn't make them different. They are both firearms. They are both tools to do a job, that can be missused by BG's.

And, I for one, would open carry the vast majority of the time. More comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:35:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:
I think open carry should be allowed, but not in urban centers like dallas county, fort worth, houston, austin and san antonio.

How is a rural part of Dallas any different from downtown Abilene?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:42:54 PM EST
I was just using those as examples, of coarse there are other cities with high crime in urban centers. There are many other cities where open carry shouldnt be allowed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:45:40 PM EST

I was just using those as examples, of coarse there are other cities with high crime in urban centers. There are many other cities where open carry shouldnt be allowed.

Hmm... seems to me the high crime areas are exactly where we need law abiding citizens to have unlicensed open carry.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:55:12 PM EST

Hmm... seems to me the high crime areas are exactly where we need law abiding citizens to have unlicensed open carry.

I hear ya nationwide...
but after having our rights trampled on for...well...longer than I've been alive, we are going to have to take baby steps with everything we do to get them back.

I think unlicensed open carry at this point would shock too many people. 10 years after open carry is granted, maybe not.

On a side note guys, I think the crime rate would go down DRASTICALLY!!!!
The numbers would be impossible for the media to ignore. Although they can surprise me every day!

I know other states have open carry, but TEXAS is BIG!, and if anyone in America would open carry, it's TEXANS!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:08:34 PM EST
That's just it. It IS Texas.

Everyone assumes that EVERYONE has a gun. I think the "culture shock" would be considerably less than what was encountered with the passage of the CHL law.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:12:35 PM EST

I hear ya nationwide...
but after having our rights trampled on for...well...longer than I've been alive, we are going to have to take baby steps with everything we do to get them back.

I think unlicensed open carry at this point would shock too many people. 10 years after open carry is granted, maybe not.

On a side note guys, I think the crime rate would go down DRASTICALLY!!!!
The numbers would be impossible for the media to ignore. Although they can surprise me every day!

I know other states have open carry, but TEXAS is BIG!, and if anyone in America would open carry, it's TEXANS!

Phuque the anti's. It is time for them to compromise and give ground. Why is always us that is taking it in the shorts??
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:35:14 PM EST

Texas Penal Code

knowingly:

TRG - "manner calculated to alarm" does not mean that you know it will cause alarm, but that you intended to cause alarm. Just because some scaredy cat is alarmed does not mean you broke the law. It is therefore not a gray area at all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:47:54 PM EST
You guys are preaching to the quire.

But how we may feel, and what we can get passed are possibly two seperate things.
I think if we could get open carry in Texas, over time it would turn a lot of peoples attitudes about guns around, paving the way for all the other stuff we have been raped on.

Diplomacy first gentlemen!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:32:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 7:33:14 PM EST by JohnTheTexican]

Open carry is legal in New Mexico, and they don't have a "wild wild west" problem.

It's the same sort of bullshit the anti-gun crowd said would happen if Texas passed a concealed carry law.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:32:27 PM EST

Great idea!

Yep, can't agree more there. I plan on getting my CHL the day I turn 21 (Just a few months away.....) , but I'd open carry if I had a choice, except maybe at work. As to the longgun thing, I sit outside my apartment (in Midland) with my AK quite often, cleaning it and such, and noone's said anything to me, yet.

-Storm
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:32:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2005 9:04:14 PM EST by wise_jake]

Great idea!

I completely agree. As mentioned [a few posts] above*, I'm not a CHL, nor do I ever intend/plan to be.

The main/primary reason is because I fundamentally disagree with the idea of the State (any state/State....... federal, the State of Texas, etc) abridging/qualifying/limiting/infringing the RKBA (and esp. in such a manner). To get a CHL would be a de facto admission by me that I agree with the power of the State to do just that (rape the RKBA).

P.S. If we look at the "B" in the RKBA acronym........... since when did "bear" mean "to hide on oneself so that no one is aware one is armed"? My, my, how far from original intent (or anything even remotely resembling an actual "right/Right" to keep and/or bear arms) have we come?

* Actually, my memory bank(s) failed me. It was actually posted in this *other* TXHTF CHL-related thread (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=200483&page=2), if any nitpickers were gonna try and call me on it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:35:43 PM EST

Well, the first thing I would propose would be to look at other states with open carry (of handguns) and see how they keep their respective situations under control and skies from falling.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:36:14 PM EST

Simple, make it illegal to just point guns at people, and make it a crime to shoot people who aren't justified to be shot.

Oh snap! The Legislature beat me to it!

Oh, and that, too!

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:38:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By JohnTheTexican:

Just don't do it within the city limits. Under § 431.01 of the Texas Government Code, with certain exceptions it's illegal for "a body of persons other than the regularly organized state military forces or the troops of the United States may not associate as a military company or organization or parade in public with firearms in a municipality of this state."

So how do the Panthers get away with it (or do they just not do it in Texas)?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:41:30 PM EST

How is a rural part of Dallas any different from downtown Abilene?

You ever *been* to Abilene, nationwide....................?

Kidding. I'm sure you have been to/through it plenty. I'm just not a big fan. It's much too close to Lubbock for comfort. I have long held that Abilene is the epicenter of the asshole of the State of Texas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top