Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 11:06:49 AM EDT
So, has open carry in MS been delayed?  I plan on making a trip over there in a couple of weekends.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on where you go. Each city and county seems to have it's own idea. HB2 is technically under an injunction that is being appealed to the MS Supreme Court. Regardless of where you go, you should obey the "No Guns" signs that are posted in many places.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on where you go. Each city and county seems to have it's own idea. HB2 is technically under an injunction that is being appealed to the MS Supreme Court. Regardless of where you go, you should obey the "No Guns" signs that are posted in many places.
View Quote

Mike, what's the point of getting the IC permit?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears to me that we need some dialogue on this---- what is the point in wasting time, trouble, money on getting an enhanced permit, if you cannot LEGALLY carry in posted areas?? It is my understanding that if I do carry in,, say,, a Waffle House with a notice posted,,, I am still legal--- but they could ask me to leave if ''outted''. And,, I have been doing just this---grocery stores, Quik-stops, Dairy Queen, Belks,  ball game, etc. If I need a tune-up---someone please provide one...................
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point of the IC permit (when it came into existence a few years ago) was to allow those individuals to carry concealed into more places than were allowed under the regular permit.  In my case, there were a few places that I go that I'd like to be able to carry and IC allowed me to do that. The "no guns" signs have stopped me from going into some places, but oddly enough, most of the signs are popping up at fairly innocuous places like grocery stores and barber shops. My favorite bar hasn't put up a sign and you'd think that is where it would go first.

After HB2 went into effect, the proliferation of "no guns" signs made a big dent in where you can carry regardless of permit. The "no guns" signs have been around for a long time but seldom used. Thanks to the MS Police Chiefs Association and anti-gun groups, the sign was widely distributed sometimes under questionable circumstances and preyed upon the fears of "open carry shootouts".

The IC permit states that you can go into the places that were previously off limits (which includes places with the sign) so many people are rightfully confused about the sign business. It took me a while to understand that even though my IC permit gave me access to places with the sign, I was still trespassing. That is the part that many (including some instructors) keep missing.

Think of it this way. If you carry a gun into a place with "the sign" and the gun is somehow seen, here are the possible outcomes:

1. No Permit: Firearms Violation + Trespassing
2. Basic Permit:  Firearms Violation + Trespassing
3. IC Permit: Trespassing (possibly)

Sure, "concealed means concealed". That is a choice for the individual to make. Getting the IC or even the basic permit is also an individual choice. Maybe you know the business owner so he doesn't care if you walk past the sign. Maybe the police chief told you that its ok for you to ignore the sign. Ignoring the sign is still a choice that might result in a trespassing charge or a ride in a police car. Sure, you may eventually get the charges dropped, but that will cost time and money that most of us don't have. Nolo and I saw both saw the results of a guy who got bogus charges dropped as a result of carrying. It wasn't something I'd want to go through.

Edit: leswill as far as being asked to leave, that is something that the business owner technically doesn't have to do since the sign was the first notice of their terms for entry. I think it depends on the property owner, the local LEO, and the attitude of the person who was outted.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another benefit of the IC sticker on your permit is that if you go to buy another firearm the dealer does not have to call in another background check.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The regular permit qualifies as a nics
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another benefit of the IC sticker on your permit is that if you go to buy another firearm the dealer does not have to call in another background check.

Cool I did not know that.  I just found out that the IC does, maybe my dealer is ot as informed as I thought.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool I did not know that.  I just found out that the IC does, maybe my dealer is ot as informed as I thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will still call it in anyway. I know of one that does that if it your first time to buy then he doesn't do it after that. Oh well, his business so it is his rules I suppose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top