Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:48:17 PM EDT
I'm a member on the VA Hometown forum over at Open Carry dot Org.

Last year we got the chance to adopt a highly visible part of Route 7 here in Northern Virginia.

Bacisally the 2+ miles just west of where it crosses the Toll Road, for those of you who now the area.

The rules are that you have to pickup litter 4x a year to retain the "Adopt A Highway OpenCarry.org" sign.

Our first pickup was last January when the temps got down to 6 degrees the night before.

Needless to say, today's event was a little nicer than that.

A few of us pitched in to buy orange vests with "Guns Save Lives  Open Carry . Org" screened on the back.

Of course, we open carry while doing our civic duty.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.  I highly approve of this, you guys keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, LoBrau.

We went to Chammps for lunch,

The manager there is VERY pro 2-A, told us of just getting his Sig refinished,.

He gave us a $30 promo off of our $60 tab.

We passed it on to the waitress.

Yeh, folks like to serve us wherever we go, we like to leave enough of a tip to be memorable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
also a member here on OCDO under a slightly different username.

I was planning on attending today (I had a great time at the last one) but something came up that required my attention (nothing like being in the middle of something I've been working on all week, only to have the power go out...luckly I saved my work less than a minute before the lights went out!).

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You missed a good lunch, steeply discounted.

Plus the entertainment factor of seeing what our fellow citizens deem appropriate to throw out their car windows.

You get around to enough other events that we voted to give you a pass on this one!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Good job!

Please give the forum notice a couple weeks notice the next time this occurs, would love to make it out there.

Kudos!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Good report!  Thanks.  

Honk if you love cookies!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good job!

Please give the forum notice a couple weeks notice the next time this occurs, would love to make it out there.

Kudos!

I ddin't think of cross-posting this.

Our next event is in late Nov/early Dec.

I'll make certain to get it posted here.

As a sidenote, each pickup gets easier and easier as we stay on top of it.

The first one was brutal––very cold and the group that had this section of roadway had not been doing their job.  Tht's how they lost it and Open Carry got it.

We had 11 adults and one 9 year old cub scout, took us about 2 /12 hours to do.

If we get maybe 15 or so folks to help, it will be a reasonable workload.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good job!

Kudos!

This.  I'll drive up and help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You get around to enough other events that we voted to give you a pass on this one!

haha thanks...I felt bad because I didn't get a chance to change my RSVP or give anyone a heads up...I was getting ready to head out the door when the text message came in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top