Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 8:32:16 PM EDT

Colemann Dairy on Asher Avenue.

Yep, that's it. Just about 300 yards east of University and Asher. One of the most dangerous intersections in the nation in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in one of the most dangerous cities in the nation. That's what it used to be.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The final home opener at Kavanaugh Field on April 15th, 1931.

Kavanaugh Field
Built 1894
Opened 1895, Rebuilt 1915
Closed 1931
Torn Down 1930s
Used by/for Little Rock Travelers (MILB A,  1895, 1901-1909, 1915-1931

Spring Training (MLB) 1895, 1898, 1907-1910
Location 1400 South Park St., Little Rock, AR
Capacity 1,500-2,000 (1894), 4450 (1915)
AKA West End Park (1894-1915), Highland Park Baseball Field

History:

Kavanaugh Field, originally called West End Park, was the home field of the Little Rock Travelers in 1885 and again from 1901-1909 and once more from 1915-1931. The field was also home to numerous major league spring training camps from 1895-1910.

In 1885, a private park was built on the west side of Little Rock and by 1893, baseball became a popular attraction at the park, which was known simply as West End Park. So in 1894, a baseball field and grandstand was built on the property, and it became the premier baseball park in the city.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
June 6, 1978, fire at Little Rock Furniture, 1498 E. 2nd St.
View Quote

The fireman at the front of the pump with the small line is cooling the front of it, to lessen damage to the glass, lights, and paint.
I won't out him,  as it's not my place,  but one of the smoke eaters there later had a son that at one point later in life,  joined our little social club here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
GRANITE MOUNTAIN HOSPITAL
also called "Junkin's Hospital"
Owned and operated by Dr. Samuel Presley Junkin
husband of Blanche Chenault Junkin

Many East End, Ironton, Landmark and Sweet Home babies were born in Dr. Junkin's Hospital. Mrs. Junkin was a school teacher, teaching 5th grade at East End Elementary School, a civic-minded person who socialized with everyone, and wrote many biographies about local people, that were placed in the Benton Courier in the 1950's.

The Junkin home was on the hill, at Lorance Curve, in Saline County, now the property of the Reeds. It has been stated that Mrs. Junkin rode on the school bus each day, to teach school.

Both Dr. and Mrs. and members of their family are interred in Primrose Cemetery, across the street from the hospital, on Dixon Road, Little Rock, Ark. Pulaski County.
The hospital was torn down many years ago, and the property is now owned by Southwest Nursing Home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
This was the best burger place ever.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Officer Henry Callanen.

36 years of service on the LRPD. This one hit the family hard, I grew up around him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool thread.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, that's it. Just about 300 yards east of University and Asher. One of the most dangerous intersections in the nation in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in one of the most dangerous cities in the nation. That's what it used to be.
View Quote

I think you are being a bit hyperbolic.  I'm not saying I want to buy real estate at University and Asher, but it is not even close to "the most dangerous intersection in the most dangerous neighborhood" in Little Rock.    
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think you are being a bit hyperbolic.  I'm not saying I want to buy real estate at University and Asher, but it is not even close to "the most dangerous intersection in the most dangerous neighborhood" in Little Rock.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

University and Asher is consistently one of the ten most dangerous intersections in the nation.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

University and Asher is consistently one of the ten most dangerous intersections in the nation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we talking about "dangerous" in the way of traffic collisions?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Though crime in the area is pretty bad as well.   And it appears the changes awhile back lessened the traffic danger.
When MEMS has 1 available unit in the county,  they post at UnA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg420/danwest/1381606_381689715296142_1387555994_n_zpscdaf25bd.jpg

The fireman at the front of the pump with the small line is cooling the front of it, to lessen damage to the glass, lights, and paint.
I won't out him,  as it's not my place,  but one of the smoke eaters there later had a son that at one point later in life,  joined our little social club here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg420/danwest/1381606_381689715296142_1387555994_n_zpscdaf25bd.jpg

Whats the point of cooling glass and paint when the fucking building is totaled?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whats the point of cooling glass and paint when the fucking building is totaled?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the truck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On the truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the truck.

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like insurance companies actually do regular rankings of the nations most dangerous intersections and nothing in Arkansas makes the list:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93001
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dangerous-intersections/

I have heard that Asher and University is the busiest intersection in Arkansas (which would explain a high volume of accidents or posting a MEMs unit there).  But that isn't the same as being the most dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
That's good stuff
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
TJ from the top rope!

I used to live in the backside of Twin Lakes near 36th, and my dad was the assistant manager of the AutoShack/AutoZone that was down there on Asher just west of University all throughout the late 80's and early 90's.

Life on that side of town was interesting back then to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The smoke eater son is me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top