User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 2:12:57 PM EDT
The following is from http://www.packing.org/state/oklahoma

Car/Gun law summary

Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 9:58 pm

§21-1289.13

Transporting A Loaded Firearm

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Where do you carry your "magazine" in a SUV which doesn't have a "exterior locked compartment"?

I've just kept my AR or other rifle, unloaded in the back seat (out of reach), with the unloaded magazines and ammunition in the far back of my SUV.  Don't think this meets the letter of the law but what else could I do?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep my mags in a range bag, seperate from the rifles that are cased.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just carry an aluminnium baseball bat. It's not subject to regulations, it's cheaper, and it hits harder than an unloaded AR.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just carry an aluminnium baseball bat. It's not subject to regulations, it's cheaper, and it hits harder than an unloaded AR.

Better yet, get a CWL and carry a .45, .357 or 44mag.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Got the CCL covered but according to the letter of the law, we could get a ticket because even if its in a enclosed case, its still not in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Click Here

Click Here

Click Here

I don't know if these will help or not.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the links they do help some. Will probally never have a problem and I admit I worry too much. Just like the idea of having several magazines for my AR loaded and ready to be grabbed and inserted. Wish Okla. had the Texas transportation carry law. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I reading this wrong?  The way it reads to me if you have a CCL you may carry a magazine loaded long gun in the cab with you.

"However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Sheeit Pnuner you're the man! I need to learn how to read (and spell too). You just "changed" the law by highlighting just a few words. Have a drink on me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, glad I wasn't reading that wrong.  You never know with these stupid statutes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
So it's legal to have an AK/full mag but unloaded chamber with the muzzle hanging out my window cuz I've got a SDA license?
You gotta love livin' in the country!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The problem with the law is the inturpitation by the district attorney. Over the years the Da's office has changed it mind on what loaded means. Originally if you had a loaded clip next to it they considered it loaded. Then it changed to it was ok to have the magazines next to it. The last time I heard loaded meant a loaded clip could be in the gun but a round  not be in the chamber.  Legally to be safe I would keep them seperate with the fire arm. The fire arm locked or in a case.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The problem with the law is the inturpitation by the district attorney. Over the years the Da's office has changed it mind on what loaded means. Originally if you had a loaded clip next to it they considered it loaded. Then it changed to it was ok to have the magazines next to it. The last time I heard loaded meant a loaded clip could be in the gun but a round  not be in the chamber.  Legally to be safe I would keep them seperate with the fire arm. The fire arm locked or in a case.

clip?? come on i know you know better than than!!

also here is an exerpt of the law

"It is unlawful to transport a loaded firearm in a landborne motor vehicle over a public road or highway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported with magazine loaded and chamber unloaded when in an exterior locked compartment or trunk of the vehicle.

It is unlawful to carry or use firearms while under the influence of: alcohol; any unprescribed drug; or any prescribed drug if such drug would result in abnormal behavior."

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
That is their wording. You ought to been there when I was trying to explain what the difference between a dirk, bowie and other knives were........
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, the Oklahoma County DA's office has some real sharp people working there!
There's not a mean, abritrary.  or vindictive person among them!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If the magazine is loaded then the weapon is loaded.  A round doesn't have to be the in the chamber to be loaded  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
OK Lawman, as I read the law, if I am hunting, moving from one area to another via POV, I don't have to remove the shells from the gun so long as I don't have one chambered.
The change of the law came about because of rural areas. Writing someone a ticket because they have a loaded rifle in the pick up rack when they are licensed by  the SDA to carry a loaded handgun seemed ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

If the magazine is loaded then the weapon is loaded.  A round doesn't have to be the in the chamber to be loaded  [/quote
I know what the law says. BUT our Da inerpet it how he sees it.If he wont file here aint a crime. It is the same with other things. We can NOT testify to blood spatter here....You can in Okla. Co. We can not testify tocrime scene reconsruction   they can in OKC  The written law is only a small portion of te picture. I dont agree with it but I realize it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Just cuz a ADA or DA won't press charges, doesn't mean a crime was committed!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
tell me this while all you coppers are on this thread

I heard i didn't read it havent looked it up....... that it is a misdemeanor{sp}  for carying a loaded firearm in your vehicle and it won't be confiscated you just get a ticket........true or bs

Same guy told me unless your in comision of a felony your firearm can't be cofiscated......

Not saying any of it's true sounded somewhat like folklore to me.......
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I heard i didn't read it havent looked it up....... that it is a misdemeanor{sp}  for carying a loaded firearm in your vehicle and it won't be confiscated you just get a ticket........true or bs

It's an understood principle among LE agents that no long haired, tattooed, taurus-buying, hippie freak should be allowed to carry one!
Seriously, it's only a misdemeanor and they shouldn't confiscate your firearm. But that doesn't mean they won't!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Same guy told me unless your in comision of a felony your firearm can't be cofiscated......

CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CLICK HERE

Looks like a judgement call type thing to me.......
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
All I can say is I think that the whole confinscation thing is total BS during a routine traffic stop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top