Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 7:15:15 PM EDT
My wife has some SW airline tickets we have to use and we picked Tampa for the trip.
Any suggestions as where to stay, what to do, and where to eat?
If I can talk her into it, I might even do some saltwater fishing if someone could recommend a good guide?
Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Dan
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, there is a nice Residence Inn(By Marriott) right off the Polk Parkway in Lakeland. Why Lakeland? 30 minutes from Tampa, 45 minutes from Disney. You wanna visit WDW right? Busch Gardens is in Tampa, that's not too shabby either. I haven't visted either of these in years, but I live here ya know? If you like old airplanes, I think there is an Air museum about 30 minutes away towards Orlando, I hear it's pretty cool. Oh yeah, I think there is a beach or two close by too. I suggest Siesta Key, down in south Sarasota, about a 90 minute ride. Some of the most beautiful white sugar sand in the world. I ain't just sayin' that. It has been rated in the top 10 beaches by magazines or experts or whatever.

Hungry? For a cheap, greasy, big boy's breakfast. Fat Jack's. About 7 minutes away, on S. Fla. Ave. Been there for 30 years or more. If our by there early, go back to the back tables and Tell Billy and Carl and Devon and Louie and my dad, JJ from Ft. Myers says hey! Go west on I-4, get off at Branch Forbes road and have dinner at The Branch Ranch. Another old establishment with fried chicken, green beans, biscuits, served family style. Real old school. In Tampa, go to Ybor City and visit the Columbia Restuaraunt. 101 years old and still serving up some pretty good grub. Their own style of Cuban/Spanish cuisine....it can't be beat.

Are some of these places for tourists. Yeah, but your a tourist , right? You can't go wrong at any of these spots. I been here all my life, so have fun! Your money is one of the reasons I don't pay state income tax!!!!

jj
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Try these as a starter for guides:

http://www.boatclix.com/links/charters.html

Inshore stuff is heating up with good trout and redfish action.  The spring run of king mackrel just offshore is starting, but still a little sparse.  Bottom fish got hit bad by the red tide last summer so the reds and trout are a better bet.

Tarpon should start soon.  Big and tough fighters but in my opinion it's only if you've got the patience to sit for hours with a dozen lines out waiting for a bite.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you take tours of the Knight's Armament company in Titusville and U can see NASA there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top