Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2003 6:20:19 AM EDT
Some of you know I’m planning to build a new target rifle.  I posted a thread in the AR section, but specifically want feedback from some of you guys.  Bushmaster quoted $655 for the upper (will take 4-6 weeks for delivery).  

Here’s the thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=166468&w=myTopicPop

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Bookhound,
    It sounds like you have a good foundation for the rifle, but I would consider getting the stainless steel barrel. Most people recognize the SS barrels as more accurate. I also happen to think the two-tone setups are visually better looking. While any free float tube will be good, I prefer the JP free float tubes. Although the carbon fiber ones from Clark Custom and Briley have some potential. I would also consider getting the 24in. barrel. You'll be able to take advantage of the higher velocities and flatter trajectory and extend your performance envelope. I would eventually consider getting a higher power scope, perhaps something in the 4-16 range for longer work. Just my opinion though.

VSP
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with VSP.  For high precision free floating with SS heavy barrel is the way to go.
It will not last as long as the chrome moly but, according to general consensus, it will shoot better.

I'm just waiting for Lew, from Tippie Competition, to come back to take my rifle there for the free float job.

As you saw, it performed well during the barrel break  Imagine with a free floating barrel...

Cheers!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top