Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 7:16:49 AM EDT
My dad was gonna order a bolt rifle from an out of state dealer and have the FFL transaction done by Blythe's in NW Indiana. The guy at Blythe's told him that the shop would charge him Indiana sales tax on the transaction even though the payment would have gone directly to the dealer out of state and that the rifle would have been sent to my dad's name in care of Blythe's.

Any of you Hoosiers can explain this? Or is Blythe's just trying to rack up some extra cash at his expense in additional to the outrageous transfer fees they were going to charge?

And thanks in advance! Looking forward to hear how things are done in Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:33:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kaiheitai17:
My dad was gonna order a bolt rifle from an out of state dealer and have the FFL transaction done by Blythe's in NW Indiana. The guy at Blythe's told him that the shop would charge him Indiana sales tax on the transaction even though the payment would have gone directly to the dealer out of state and that the rifle would have been sent to my dad's name in care of Blythe's.

That doesn't sound right at all. When we do a transfer for someone, we just charge a flat transfer fee.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:55:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shooter521:

Originally Posted By kaiheitai17:

That doesn't sound right at all. When we do a transfer for someone, we just charge a flat transfer fee.

Same here we just charge the flat fee as well. Sounds like Blyth's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:06:37 AM EDT
Shooter, yep, that is the way it works for me when I am in Virginia. As long as the "package" is marked for me by name, no sales tax just a flat transfer cost. I think someone was trying to pick up a few extra bucks off of him. Heck, he's in his 70's and on a fixed income. He can't afford to spend anything more than he has to.

Any body else out there have any experience with this?

Any one know of a reputable dealer in NW Indiana who'll do transfers for a reasonable fee? Heck, we both realize that dealers got to feed thier families too. Just don't take advantage of us.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:03:41 PM EDT
We count a transfer as labor. Labor is a flat rate charge and is not taxed. Too bad we are in Southern Indiana, or I would help you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:23:55 PM EDT
Any dealer that charges state sales tax for an out-of-state transfer is ripping you off--plain and simple.

Enter your father's telephone area code HERE to find dealers who do transfers in his area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:51:56 PM EDT
Many thanks to all of you who have responded. I'll be giving him a call later this week and will let him know what you guys have told me. For a while I was thinking that perhaps Indiana had a law that required merchants to collect IN sales taxes on out of state purchases but you guys have certainly cleared that up for me.
Again, you guys have been great. I may be visiting my folks back in Dyer in a couple of months and if things go well, I would certainly look forward to meeting some of you guys!
Thanks once again and Semper Fi!!

Scott
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
I used to work for that cocksucker about eight years ago. Lester the Molester will rip you off any way he can. Avoid the prick at all costs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 4:43:33 PM EDT by rhino_]
The dealer in the first message is trying to do something they're probably not allowed to do. They certainly won't have to pay that tax to the state at the end of the year, so it sounds like a profit making situation for them with a little deception thrown in to make it really unsavory.

Of course, the State of Indiana will want you to pay a "use tax" when you file your income taxes in the amount of 6% of all of the purchases you made "out of state" via mail order, web, etc. where you were not charged local sales taxes.

That of course has nothing to do with the dealer trying to steal money from you. The state has its own people to steal from you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:00:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:
Of course, the State of Indiana will want you to pay a "use tax" when you file your income taxes in the amount of 6% of all of the purchases you made "out of state" via mail order, web, etc. where you were not charged local sales taxes.

Don't you just put a big, fat zero in that space on your IT-40?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:33:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Don't you just put a big, fat zero in that space on your IT-40?

That's certainly the smart and right thing to do, but ...

A few years ago, when the state went from surplus to deficit, someone got the bright idea of sending letters to some Indiana tax payers "reminding" them about the use tax assessments. Some were intimidated into doing it, as was the obvious plan. Then, once you do it, you're pretty much locked into it since it's going to be obvious if you have a goose egg one year. Audits are no fun.

I will neither affirm nor deny that I am such an individual as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:13:31 AM EDT
As has been said, complete ripoff.
K&D Guns down here in Southern IN wants to do the same thing. I think Gunbroker lists their fees as $50(!!) + sales tax.
Find an FFL that will do it for a flat rate, preferably $25 or less.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
All good info guys! Thanks to M4Madness for the link to the GunsAmerica website with the FFL finder. Sounds like I may have kicked up a small hornets nest as my dad isn't the only one to run into this practice. Gun shops do need to make a profit but they shouldn't be able to rip off the customer either.
Virginia has something similar to the "use" tax for out of state internet purchases also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 4:55:51 PM EDT by WILSON]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:49:58 AM EDT
Wilson, I'll be in Dyer at St. Margret Mercy from time on business. What are the decent shops in that area? Most of the time I drive up from Indy and have a few meetings in the afternoon then go hang out at the hampton Inn all night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:07:46 PM EDT
Dayum, Fetla's used to be pretty good. That's where I bought my first pistol, a S&W Model 19 over 30 years ago! We'll check out Duke later.
Top Top