Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2013 10:26:00 PM EDT
GAME OVER...oy vey.

Ok, so you're lost somewhere in the wild forest...here's the scenario:  You were on a trip out of state and for some reason you've ended up in a remote, forested area (how or why don't matter so don't detail yourself to death over that part).  Your vehicle had gotten you to a point where there are no more roads and it's now broke down.  Obviously the first rule of survival is to stay with your vehicle but because you've watched enough survival shows on TV you decided it was better to leave your vehicle and that's why you are now hopelessly lost and in this area native wildlife includes brown bear, moose and possibly yeti's if you believe in bigfeets (psst...they don't exist) so you aren't the top of the food chain anymore.

Things look grim but.....before you left home you thought that just in case you got lost in the woods you should put one rifle and one handgun (with ammo for them) in your vehicle.  What rifle and handgun did you choose and why?  Ok for this to make any sense you have to be completely honest here and only choose a rifle and handgun that you actually own and would be good to go right now.  If you don't have a rifle you have to choose only a handgun or vice versa.  If you don't have a rifle or a handgun at the moment you don't get to make one up, you have to sit on the bleachers and just watch this time.

I'll start...Since I have no idea where I am and I've already lost my vehicle and have no access to it for supplies I'm going to find the best place I can to set up "camp".  I know there are brown (I.e. BIG bears) in the area so my gun choices have to keep that in consideration.  

RIFLE: .50 Beowulf
WHY:  I would need something capable of stopping a large bear or moose fast should I be charged or attacked, even a minor injury in a survival situation could become life threatening so I don't want to take chances.  A .50 Beowulf within 50 yards will easily drop a very large critter and have extremely fast secondary shots if necessary.  It's capable of taking other large animals so I could take deer or such for food.  The downfall is in most survival situations your best chance of food is small game and the Beowulf doesn't leave enough pieces of small game to actually cook.

HANDGUN:  S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum
WHY:  It's capable of putting down big dangerous critters with good aim.  It's capable of taking small game (as long as its a head shot) and because its a Performance Center gun the accuracy is extremely good and very capable of hitting small targets.

I was torn between the Beowulf and my Savage .30-06 because both would work but in a situation where a big bear comes charging at me I'd much rather have those big .50's flying out very, very fast than .30's with a slower bolt action.  I've seen video's of people surprised by a bear charge and it doesn't take much time from point A to point B and the semi auto .50 finally won.

For my hand gun choice I really, really wished I owned a Ruger Single Six Convertible .22LR/.22magnum because that's what I would have chosen but my only .22 handgun is a Walther P22, that while tons of fun to shoot, isn't accurate enough at distances that hunting small game would require.  Since I didn't have an adequate .22 handgun and all my other handgun calibers are all 9mm or larger I went with my most powerful and accurate handgun instead.  I figure my 629 V-Comp would work double duty as scary animal protection and since it's extremely accurate I could score some edible small game by taking head shots.

This little exercise actually requires some thought unless of course you only own one rifle or handgun then it's an easy choice but I hope anyone in that category still explains how their particular choice lines up, good or bad, in their opinion.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
meh.............I'd carry whatever rifle and pistol I happened to have with me, then I'd follow the tire tracks my vehicle put down on the ground back out of the woods.

like brian keith said to the easterner in the "mountain man" flick "I hadn't ever been lost before, but I have been confused as to where I was a time or two"

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You goober you completely missed the point...I know your strong point is microwave pizza and not reading but c'mon.   On the bright side glad to see you aboard again, you about ready to go back to work at the truck stop?  These guys are getting lonely lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My WASR and FNX-45, because that's all I have.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
my M1 and my .45
Why? Cause my M1 is 30-06 and my 1911 is .45

if its just any ole gun combo... ill take a M82A1 rifle and a .45
Why? The M82A1 is a freakin sniper rifle capable of nearly 1 1/2 mile shots and its a full bore .50cal so whatever it hits... dies. Along with whatever was standing behind it...
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
this is a scenario I would never find myself in... If I went to the woods someone would know and come looking for me.  If not, like said, follow the tracks back.  What elevation are we talking here?  Cardio really suffers at higher elevation if you're not acclimated to it.  I'd only take one firearm because carrying heavy stuff equates to using more energy than you can afford to lose.  I carried my 300blk pistol at around 6k elev and never did it again!  And that's the lightest rifle caliber gun I own.  Right now Im in Afgh at 5k elev and it took me about 2 weeks to get around without being out of breath quickly.  So, I'd throw my 1911 on with some spare mags.  Brown bear?  Meh.  I might be afraid of grizzly, not so much brown.  And I'm a furry guy so I think the bigfeets would welcome me in to their culture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You might wanna ask this in the 'womens' section cause we all know us guys never get lost , like Nden said, maybe I have been confused as to where I was a time or two...LMAO....never lost tho! And that movie is so great! I'm gonna hafta watch it again now! Thanks Nden! And nice to see you're on the road to recovery lil buddy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this is a scenario I would never find myself in... If I went to the woods someone would know and come looking for me.  If not, like said, follow the tracks back.  What elevation are we talking here?  Cardio really suffers at higher elevation if you're not acclimated to it.  I'd only take one firearm because carrying heavy stuff equates to using more energy than you can afford to lose.  I carried my 300blk pistol at around 6k elev and never did it again!  And that's the lightest rifle caliber gun I own.  Right now Im in Afgh at 5k elev and it took me about 2 weeks to get around without being out of breath quickly.  So, I'd throw my 1911 on with some spare mags.  Brown bear?  Meh.  I might be afraid of grizzly, not so much brown.  And I'm a furry guy so I think the bigfeets would welcome me in to their culture.
View Quote

You can't follow tracks back...that's in the rules, you're hopelessly lost.  Elevation doesn't matter because the guns you choose would have been chosen not knowing you were ever going to be lost.  You picked a rifle and a handgun just in case of anything, it just happens that what did happen is the scenario written at the top.

Grizzly bears are brown bears just as Kodiak's are also brown bears.

Do they have bigfeets in Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You might wanna ask this in the 'womens' section cause we all know us guys never get lost , like Nden said, maybe I have been confused as to where I was a time or two...LMAO....never lost tho! And that movie is so great! I'm gonna hafta watch it again now! Thanks Nden! And nice to see you're on the road to recovery lil buddy.
View Quote

I think you're lost right now lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard the other subspecies of brown bear are less hostile than Grizzly, Grizzly being the worst of all selections of bear.  I was in Grizz country last year and carried my 1911 in a hill people gear chest pouch with 3 spare mags.  Luckily never ran in to any.  But I feel confident that I would have been just fine.  Just have to avoid shooting the skull.  Black bears are pansies though.  I've chased a many away and one up a pine tree.  So I'll still stick with my plan, strap up the 1911, spare mags, and get to hiking.  And I suppose without tire tracks I would use my inspector gadget Suunto watch to track back...?  Or am I just unavoidingly and inexplicably lost?  Because I'm just having trouble believing myself being in that situation haha!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You goober you completely missed the point...I know your strong point is microwave pizza and not reading but c'mon.   On the bright side glad to see you aboard again, you about ready to go back to work at the truck stop?  These guys are getting lonely lol.
View Quote

tired of you again?

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

tired of you again?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tired of you again?

Ouch, very ouch.   I think they are tired of me on here though lol.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've heard the other subspecies of brown bear are less hostile than Grizzly, Grizzly being the worst of all selections of bear.  I was in Grizz country last year and carried my 1911 in a hill people gear chest pouch with 3 spare mags.  Luckily never ran in to any.  But I feel confident that I would have been just fine.  Just have to avoid shooting the skull.  Black bears are pansies though.  I've chased a many away and one up a pine tree.  So I'll still stick with my plan, strap up the 1911, spare mags, and get to hiking.  And I suppose without tire tracks I would use my inspector gadget Suunto watch to track back...?  Or am I just unavoidingly and inexplicably lost?  Because I'm just having trouble believing myself being in that situation haha!
View Quote

Typical....

Sir, I'm with the forest service glad we found you!

Found me? I wasn't lost, I was working on my cardio walking up and down the mountain and I just lost track of time.

Sir, it's been 6 months...

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll play by your rules.  Rossi 1892 and Ruger Blackhawk, both in .45 Colt and handloads that make .44 Magnum shooters cringe.  Up close, the loads from the pistol will handle a bear or moose, especially from the rifle.  They're light enough to tote around for a while, but with the handloads, they fire a stout enough load to handle the local wildlife.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So there I am,just sittin on an old stump,playing my banjo,when.

Out of nowhere some stranger waltzing across my land,with a real purty mouth,and totein this sexy new rifle.

Well I grab my tanq gun and handfull of cialias and off I go to "introduce myself"

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll play by your rules.  Rossi 1892 and Ruger Blackhawk, both in .45 Colt and handloads that make .44 Magnum shooters cringe.  Up close, the loads from the pistol will handle a bear or moose, especially from the rifle.  They're light enough to tote around for a while, but with the handloads, they fire a stout enough load to handle the local wildlife.
View Quote

That makes a lot of sense.  I'd feel completely comfortable going old school and carrying my .45 Colt Blackhawk and my .45 Colt Henry Big boy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Out of nowhere some stranger waltzing across my land,with a real purty mouth,and totein this sexy new rifle.

Well I grab my tanq gun and handfull of cialias and off I go to "introduce myself"

View Quote

Ok...so....um....
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
if you go out to the woods, and you dont have any GPS aid, a map or know where you are.. then you shouldn't go.. maybe its the military in me but i have to know whats going on around me at all times
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
You are missing the point also *sigh*...it has nothing to do with how you deal with not getting lost...
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#19]
so you have a choice of guns you wanna take..cause you have them but no type of navigation?... yea this is pretty smart....
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ok...so....um....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok...so....um....

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so you have a choice of guns you wanna take..cause you have them but no type of navigation?... yea this is pretty smart....
View Quote

It's ok, we'll use smaller words next time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]
edit...

let be real here.. the above event would never happen.. you wont get lost (you have a cell phone with GPS) and if you had time to pick your guns you had time to do a lot more other things.... sorry common sense if just that common sense.. no one goes into the woods and before that think.. hey ima gonna get lost let me pick 2 guns i think i would need.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I knew I shouldn't have tried to cross the front range. I should have done a 180 and headed back to the plains as soon as I saw the clouds rolling in. “Too late now,” I thought as I tried to body slam the door open. What could I do? Follow my tracks back home? Ha. No tracks in the sky. Check my nav instruments? The only thing I know for sure is, I'm not going down anymore and it smells like gasoline. OK, I better inventory my survival gear... one mylar space blanket, two red flares, my AR carbine and my CZ-52. Where are the mags? I should have two 30-round mags with 62-grain green tips and 2 CZ mags with Wolf Gold hollow points. Man, my stuff is all over the place. Maybe I should try to find the flashlight first, while it's still light outside. Maybe the AR wasn't the best choice for crash survival, maybe I should have packed up the 30-30. Damn me, why didn't I put more thought into this?

I want my mommy!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll still play:

I have my G19 and 1 spare mag everywhere I go and my 11.5 SBR with a mag full of 50 gr TSX 5.56 rides shotgun if I'm not in town. Not an ideal loadout for large animals but the 50 gr TSX holds up well so it'd do in a pinch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, will try to play along rule-abidingly...

Rifle would probably have to be my M1A Scout Squad.  It has a red dot on it so I could shoot quickly and/or in bad lighting if a bear attack is imminent; 20 rounds of 7.62mm isn't bad for bear medicine, either.  I have a few other rifle options, but the accurate "night shoot" ability of a red dot is pretty much unique to this rifle.

Pistol would kinda have be the default of either a G17 or G21, as those're my usual "wild outdoor activities" carry guns.  

My preferred "I'm lost and have to trek a long way on foot to get home" handgun would be my 22/45 though, so I could easily bag squirrel or rabbit at points of opportunity along the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top