Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 1:13:32 PM EDT
As the season to give creeps up on us, I would like to take the time to remind everyone of the need we all have as good citizens to give back to our state. I have found a very good way to accomplish that task. I enlisted in the Ohio Military Reserve or OHMR. It is a true volunteer military service, much on line with the Ohio Army National Guard. I have found it very rewarding and encourage each one of you who is prior service or has a yearn to be in the military to spend a few minutes looking at the website www.ohio.gov/ohmr or sending me questions either here on the board or via email at Tiger65_1999@yahoo.com I will answer them to the best of my ability or refer you to someone who can better explain. Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:26:21 PM EDT
Interesting...this certainly bears a little more research.  I never knew it existed.  I do have a quick question:

In the event of activation by the Governor, is there any legal job protection in place?  I seriously doubt it (even the NG isn't protected in the event of a State call-up), but I figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:20:31 AM EDT
What are enlistment terms?

Scott
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:25:43 AM EDT
I just did this in Indiana.  Ours is called Indiana Guard Reserve.  The website is www.mdisdf.org.  You are protected under state law here if you are called up.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:27:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scottman:
What are enlistment terms?

Scott

www.ohio.gov/ohmr/601-2.htm

-2.  Period of enlistment.  Initially, all personnel enlisting in the OHMR acquire a service obligation of three (3) years and for an indefinite period thereafter.  At anytime after enlisting, the individual may request

(1) a discharge for good cause shown or      

(2) a transfer to the Mobilization Designee List.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:17:25 PM EDT
And there is job protection for OHARNG and OHANG in the event of a state active duty call up.  Ohio law pretty much mirrors federal law.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:33:07 PM EDT
Hmmm...it was always my understanding that as an Ohio NG member, you had job protection if activated by the Federal government, but not if activated by the State.  

I'll have to research it again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:33:18 AM EDT
Local armory should have the reference.  TAG and AG may have to get involved if there are problems, but ARNG can't stay on state active duty very long because there's no money in the state budget for it and after a couple of days it'll take an act of the legislature to pay the troops!  The short length of SAD makes this almost a moot point.

This may or may not apply to OMR, but since the only two ranks in OMR are COL and CSM these guys are usually retired anyway.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:22:04 PM EDT
I apologize for the delay, I haven't had much time to be on the computer lately. It seems as if you all have answered each other's questions, but I will throw my two cents in. We do have job protection if activated, much like the OHARNG, and yes it would take an act of legislature to pay us on active duty for more than a few days. Also, many employers have regulations that mandate leave for OHMR soldiers for voluntary drill as long as the paperwork is submitted in time (usually 30-90 days ahead of drill date). Enlistment terms are 17-67 with ability to pass a physical exam (no PT test) and a criminal background check. While I do agree that it seems as if we are loaded with COLs and CSMs, we are rapidly getting many Non-Prior Service people coming in as E-1s and E-2s. I, as a matter of fact, was one of them. Also, if you look at our mission statement, providing a cadre of leaders is essential for us and that makes us look very overranked. Thank you for the interest and keep the questions coming I'll try to stay on top of them. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:05:58 PM EDT
Just curious but what do national guard get paid? Or is it just school money. I know starting out army gets like 1,100 per month.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:34:35 AM EDT
So what all is required?  Do you have to go through basic?  Are you able to select an MOS and get specific training in it?

I don't have the time for an actual military or national guard commitment, but this reserve thing might work out...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:07:50 AM EDT
I'm curious as to how they would designate rank for say someone like myself, who has no prior military, but does have a bachelor's degree and a career full of command level Police experience.  In looking at their site i think I would meet their requirements to be a commissioned officer, but not sure?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 3:13:31 PM EDT by Waldo]

Originally Posted By shotar:
I'm curious as to how they would designate rank for say someone like myself, who has no prior military, but does have a bachelor's degree and a career full of command level Police experience.  In looking at their site i think I would meet their requirements to be a commissioned officer, but not sure?

Sorry, I'm "Major Wood" and you're going to have to be my sidekick, "Private Parts".
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:02:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Originally Posted By shotar:

Sorry, I'm "Major Wood" and you're going to have to be my sidekick, "Private Parts".

And your mother dresses you funny.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:35:04 AM EDT
Shotar --

OHMR officers are almost exclusively former OHARNG officers and commissions are based purely on unit vacancies.  Despite being "brigades" and a command structure including at least two general officers and a couple dozen colonels, these are no more than detachments with few or no officer slots or vacancies.  I'm sure they'll commission their own prior to bring in outsiders without military experience or rank.

But it won't hurt to call 'em or use the contacts on the linked (above) website.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:39:08 PM EDT
Artifex- There is training in place through the OHMR Academy and Academy certified instructors to bring you into the military envolope, but nothing is required beyond the One weekend a Month and One week a year. For example, a non-prior service person would go through BELT (Basic Entry Level Training) for Six Months in MUTA 4's (Fri Night, Sat, Sunday till 4). All OHMR personnel are trained in MOS 95B (Military Police) and then usually Cross-trained in another MOS of their choice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:47:25 PM EDT
I remember seeing the OHMR around at airshows when I was a kid. Looked like a real bunch of winners. I remember hearing a story on the news about an OHMR guy who had some unauthorized ordnance in his house that went up. I was always told and under the impression that OHMR was for people who couldnt hack it or couldnt get in the military. I just cant understand why this organization is even sanctioned by the state. Sorry to have offended anyone but I just cant take a quasi-military group like this one seriously.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:37:19 AM EDT
This isn't a quasi military group, it's a State Guard (Militia) unit with officers and units commissioned by the Governor.  Other than minor missions as noted on their website the primary purpose of this militia is to replace the Army National Guard when the Guard is mobilized under Federal control.

Since the primary State Mission of the ARNG is support of civil authorities the MP unit structure is appropriate.

-- Chuck  
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:42:07 AM EDT
Apropos of nothing, if I were in the Air Force, I wouldn't be criticizing anyone for lack of military bearing, generally looking like an assbag, etc....
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:32:43 AM EDT
I can say whatever I want about the OHMR even though IM in the AF. Theyre a bunch of losers and wannabes.  Ive dealt with them first hand and can say they suck.  Theres a reason why they've never been called up and why they never will, theyre a bunch of bozo's!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:40:24 AM EDT
Or, maybe, they are a group of people some of whom were prior service, some not, who wanted to find a way to volunteer their time for the public good, and this was something they could do to help out.  I have met several people in this organization, and all seemed to do it out of a genuine desire to help others.  Not a wannabe in the bunch.  There is a reason that the front line troops are in Front, and gaurd or militia groups are left for the home front.  True, they may not be all high speed low drag super special forces, but they are people who care.  These guys helped in our city about 10 years ago after a natural disaster, and their help was certainly appreciated and allowed the city safety forces to concentrate their efforts on immediate needs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:04:25 AM EDT
Shotar - Very well said.
Not everyone can (or wants to) be a top-secret-special-agent-super-duper-stealth-commando-ulitmate-warrior.

Get over yourself 'dicksinyourass'!

Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top