Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2008 6:51:54 PM EST
Has anyone used a bushmaster 450 pistol to hunt deer?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:06:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:

This was brought up a few times. I believe someone here had a custom gunsmith in winterville ohio build him a 15" AR pistol upper. in 450BM and had all intentions of deer hunting with it. Under Ohio law it sure seems legal as it says "straight walled case"
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:19:15 AM EST
How long can a "pistol" barrel be?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:51:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2008 4:54:50 AM EST by vaughn4380]
How long can a "pistol" barrel be?

Any length you want, just do not add a stock to it if it is under 16 inches.

ETA: there is no maximum length for pistol barrels
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:53:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2008 4:53:35 AM EST by vaughn4380]

You would be forced to use it in a pistol of some type, all modern rifles are forbidden for deer hunting in Ohio.

If Thompson Center made a barrel for thier pistols, that would have to be a great deer getter!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:57:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

You would be forced to use it in a pistol of some type, all modern rifles are forbidden for deer hunting in Ohio.

Are you saying that you cannot use an AR pistol for deer? Because its a "modern rifle" Even though technically its a pistol using a straight wall cartridge?

I know a guy who made a single shot 45-70 pistol - he had it zeroed at 200 yards - he ended up shooting a doe in the head at 15 yards
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 8:22:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2008 8:25:49 AM EST by vaughn4380]

Are you saying that you cannot use an AR pistol for deer? Because its a "modern rifle" Even though technically its a pistol using a straight wall cartridge?

I know a guy who made a single shot 45-70 pistol - he had it zeroed at 200 yards - he ended up shooting a doe in the head at 15 yards

No dude, you mis-understood me. You would have to use it in some form of pistol, including an AR pistol as a possibility. You could not use any type of AR rifle to hunt deer in Ohio. I have not seen a .450 pistol ever, but you could build one yourself.

ETA: I see you specifically mentioned a 450 pistol in your post, I originally was only looking at your title and thought you were asking about the 450 Bushmaster Rifle. My Mistake!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 11:51:47 AM EST

It would have to meet any other handgun requirements for hunting, then it would be ok. For example, 5 inch minimum barrel length, using straight walled cartridges .357 or larger(read as no .223), etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:47:19 PM EST
If it wasn't for the deer crop damage permit, I would never bother.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 4:21:15 PM EST
can you use a rifle with a crop damage permit
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:07:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By ducknhide:

I especially like the part where they use the word "any".
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:53:49 PM EST
Maybe the fella will post. I know he had the factory barrel cut back and a brake added and it was 15" oal. He had it on a RRA Pistol marked lower and showed quite a few pictures.

He may have posted the pictures in the AR pistol forum I can't remember. I know he said it functioned fine and was plenty accurate. I think it was JD Jones? that did the work in Winterville Ohio?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:06:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/17/2008 5:06:51 AM EST by vaughn4380]
Originally Posted By ducknhide:

Well, in your case no, you would probably wet yourself when you came into contact with a firearm. The rest of us can.

ETA: Like you even own a rifle. How about you just stick to insulting CCW like you do in all the other threads.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:12:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By PAPPYO:
Maybe the fella will post. I know he had the factory barrel cut back and a brake added and it was 15" oal. He had it on a RRA Pistol marked lower and showed quite a few pictures.

He may have posted the pictures in the AR pistol forum I can't remember. I know he said it functioned fine and was plenty accurate. I think it was JD Jones? that did the work in Winterville Ohio?

That sounds cool, I want to see the pics
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 2:47:48 PM EST
I can't see why not, as long as it's a pistol. I just decided to build a 50 beowulf pistol for this very reason.

No mag limit, laser clad deer hunting with my AR........Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:18:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By ls4ya:
I can't see why not, as long as it's a pistol. I just decided to build a 50 beowulf pistol for this very reason.

lasers huh? I demand pics when you are done with the build !
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:01:32 AM EST
I figure it would have to help with the aiming of such a beast, as I don't think it would be all that fun to rest against my cheek. A laser sounds logical in my head anyway.

Looks like it may be awhile before a 12'' Beowulf upper will be available, so those pics could be a long ways off.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:53:39 AM EST

I don't think you can use a laser to hunt with in Ohio. it used to be in the hunting regs, not sure if it still is. might want to check.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:07:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By heresthedeal:

I don't think you can use a laser to hunt with in Ohio. it used to be in the hunting regs, not sure if it still is. might want to check.

It's just a no-no for bows and crossbows.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top