Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:22 AM EDT
I managed to sell the 36 Ford pickup without even advertising it. But, now, to do something with my brothers' bus. I have some familiarity with air cooled kraut toys, but, nothing recent, certainly no buses in my past. Gotta sell this thing, but, I don't wanna get raped on it. Just trying to get an honest evaluation, so I can price it accordingly. 1974 VW type 2 camper. No poptop. Icebox, sink, bed, louvered side windows. Here's where it gets interesting...professionally lowered, 5 lug 911 wheels, zooty low profile tires, and a virtually brand new 914 2 liter engine. I'm sure it doesn't have 2k on it. Pretty straigh van, no cancer, holes or dents. Just a weak off-white paint. Toy surfboards and maltese cross stickers everywhere. No pix as yet, but, I'm hoping there's at least one arfcomtard whos' into these things. I drove it the 40 or so miles to my house yesterday. Rodepretty well, a lot zippier than I expected. Must be the Porsche engine, huh? Anyway, whatever advice, tips or travelling salesman jokes you can offer, I hereby accept.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:23:20 AM EDT
well,, there wuz this VW van and this inflatable sheep ,, see ?,,

, and then the guy with the ,,,

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:45:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike_in_Seattle:
well,, there wuz this VW van and this inflatable sheep ,, see ?,,

, and then the guy with the ,,,

Yeah, just what we need, more Parisgunrunner and NicoleTRG stories.......sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:04:56 PM EDT
VW buses, especially the Westphalia models, have a cult following and I have heard of them selling for lots of money. Sounds like you are going to make friends with a bunch of tree huggers. I would put adds where tree huggers hang out for the best offer and don't be in a hurry to sell.

If you can't sell it paint some mj leafs on it and drive it to LCR.
Very righteous dude.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:30:02 PM EDT
Put it on the samba and craigslist. I would say $700-1200, for a regular 74. Hard to say with the porsche motor. I have a buddy that works at wolfsburg motorwerks Ill ask him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:14:14 PM EDT
Here is what I got...

Send pictures, and I can make a guess. Send pictues of the motor, rockers, and floors. Also, is it hydrolic, does it have 2.0l 914 heads?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:09:52 AM EDT
1. I have made contact with Samba, need pix for appraisal
2. Contacted Wet Westies, same deal
3. Talked to a bus nut/restorer nearby, he said $5k was a good ballpark
4. I'll do pix today. sjs email me, so I can send 'em straight to ua.
5. Why, God, why me, of all people? You know I think vw buses suck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:45:12 AM EDT
bobbit said "Why, God, why me, of all people? You know I think vw buses suck."
They do suck! I worked on German crap for 15 years. The good part is a lot of libs love them. Especially the campers. Smile on the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:43:02 PM EDT
I have ***ALWAYS*** wanted one!!!! If I had the cash I would buy it in a quick heartbeat!!! I'm to VW's as Kooter is to Scouts

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 6:53:07 PM EDT by Dinothewap]

Originally Posted By MSKOOTER:
I have ***ALWAYS*** wanted one!!!! If I had the cash I would buy it in a quick heartbeat!!! I'm to VW's as Kooter is to Scouts

Well if Koter could weed Bobbity's back yard mabe Bobbity would give you the VW!

ETA: If you have seen Bobbity's back yard you know what I mean!
Top Top